Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #41
o_donny

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
Donny you have started on a new map? What happened with ff rust you were working on..
After I had 6th version of that map on works I killed it with hard openhanded :P
Now I have 2, harcore and this.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #42
o_alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
You cant see much because there aint much to show. It's like 4% done in that shot.
And I wanted to give this map that feeling that the rocks are blocking the sun. Stealth type classes could have bit more cover in the shadows and it wouldnt look like happy happy sunny land. This is the feel I want to create and I will create.
And Btw, if the walls wouldnt be up high you could see the other area from there and outside, conc users would be pretty much screwd.
Then why post an irrelevant "WIP" picture? I say you work on your map at your full potential until you actually have something significant to show. Also, I noticed that you have been making various maps and been canceling one by another. My question to you: Why are you continuously mapping and post about it here (for suggestions and constructive criticism) but at the end you are going to cancel the entire project? I would say work on a map that you are actually inspired to do and put all your potential to it. Aside from what I said, I can’t really say much from what you have posted concerning this map. Good luck with this map...(turn highest settings, it lucks yucky if you don't, and for the love of God, finish this map and do not end up canceling this project).
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #43
o_bumgravy

cancalleing a project and starting on something with more determination is better than ploughing on with something you know you cant finish to a decent standard. its all learning curve.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #44
o_ambex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
its all learning curve.
Finish something you have to finish don't leave it, don't jump over a stage that you think you will do.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #45
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator
Then why post an irrelevant "WIP" picture?
Because Geokill wanted to see screenshot.

Quote:
I say you work on your map at your full potential until you actually have something significant to show.
Well SOOORRRYYY. Others dont look at the picture!!111oneone

Quote:
Also, I noticed that you have been making various maps and been canceling one by another.
I have done 1 map for ff, and cancelled it because after 6th version of it I didnt like it so much, so if the level desinger doesnt like the map after 6th try, no-one else would if he would finish it right? :P

Quote:
Why are you continuously mapping and post about it here (for suggestions and constructive criticism) but at the end you are going to cancel the entire project?
In short:
How can I know that there is a dog turd under my feet if I were blind, till I would step on it and slip down and smell that there is shit somewhere? I cant!

In long:
How in the love of all that is holy can I know what the map is like when the 2d picture turns to 3d? If I'd just map for fun I would make a thread "Donny's idiotic mapping" and maybe show some stupid stuff I have made, but would I make a thread if I actully knew that Im going to cancel it? No. This whole question was kind of stupid.

Also why I quitted working on my first ff map ff_baseflag aka ff_rust was that the arcitechture I had got always fucked up because of the lovely arch clip bugs that hammer has.
We may not know if I decide to work on it again but not now. Not until I have made super good overlook of it.

Quote:
I would say work on a map that you are actually inspired to do and put all your potential to it.
Well if Im not inspired on some project would I work on it on the little free time I have?
*sighs deeply*

Quote:
Aside from what I said, I can’t really say much from what you have posted concerning this map.
I have poisted a overview that shows the whole thing (well ok it was Circuitous). What more do you want? My moms number

Quote:
Good luck with this map...(turn highest settings, it lucks yucky if you don't, and for the love of God, finish this map and do not end up canceling this project).
If I put a hold on on one project I will cancel all the projects?
This is farely easy to do (Not easy but easier than thinking of base architechture.)
But anyways I think I'll get it done in this summer since I have computer on my room that I can map with now.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #46
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
Finish something you have to finish don't leave it, don't jump over a stage that you think you will do.
Aren't you the one that dumped the original amped into Ginger Lord's lap?

Were you going for irony there?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #47
o_ambex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Aren't you the one that dumped the original amped into Ginger Lord's lap?

Were you going for irony there?
Nowadays mappers dump maps if they needs to.

Last edited by o_ambex; 06-07-2006 at 09:16 PM.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #48
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Because Geokill wanted to see screenshot.
Aaaawww I feel so special
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #49
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
Aaaawww I feel so special
You are. You are very special to me. Even the other kids might laugh at you but that is just because they are jelous to you, because they arent so special as you are. *zips up GeoKill's shirt and sends him to play with 'the others' on the sandbox*

Btw bad news :P Shorty after I posted that thing up there my harddrive decieded to go for a early retirement. Basicly this means that I have to re-install windows and stuff like that and start making this map from the beginning.
This is what you get when you get the used harddrives in your family. In month I'll be getting a 200Gb hard drive. But anyway just sad news.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #50
o_player

Or is it an excuse to ditch the previous version because it got bad reviews? :P

Anyway, make it good and get it done, then post us some screenshots
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #51
o_alligator

i knew i wasn't wrong..

Old 06-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #52
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Or is it an excuse to ditch the previous version because it got bad reviews? :P

Anyway, make it good and get it done, then post us some screenshots
I say how things are, but feel free to make up your own conspiracy theorys if you feel like having one.
*pats on the back*
And oh I couldnt care less if people would judge the whole map crap after seeing one ramp of the spawn. It's not my fault that people are dumb

Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #53
o_nezumi

Don't let any of this discourage you from posting early wip shots. I think they're fun to see.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #54
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Don't let any of this discourage you from posting early wip shots. I think they're fun to see.
Yeah, I like people to see how worse turns to bad :P
*trying to install steam on other computer to start mapping again*

EDIT: Ok Im almost at the same point I was when the hard drive got screwd. I have done better work atleast with the door from which the players "got to the map".
Note that I havent done anything with the walls in the back.

EDIT2:
I whipped up some screenshots.

(If you wonder that sign that is black atm because of the block light brush, it will be "This (crappy) map was made by Donny aka EvilSeeD" sign)

I dont think I have to explane this one. It's the exit door which leads to the "play area".
and the grey dev texture blocks, they are for the cap point tracking, to see how badly your team is getting owned or other way :P)

Last edited by o_donny; 06-10-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #55
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Yay more pics for me

But yeh I like the light environment in this map, gives it a cold feeling since it's a the bottom of the canyon
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #56
o_alligator

Quote:
Yay more pics for me

But yeh I like the light environment in this map, gives it a cold feeling since it's a the bottom of the canyon
yes...but the cliffs are blocking the sun light to hit the "base."
Donny - add some lighting around the base - it is bearly visible.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:39 AM   #57
o_donny

Quote:
Yay more pics for me

I set the light as it is in real world, light is warm and the places where it doesnt hit is cold blue.

Quote:
yes...but the cliffs are blocking the sun light to hit the "base."
Donny - add some lighting around the base - it is bearly visible.
I was planning to but then I noticed that every light I would add there would ruin it. I dont want to add lights without any models from which they came from. HL2's model lights arent really made for this map.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #58
o_alligator

get one from css? dods? Or simply make a brush and texture it with light (can be done so it looks nice).

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #59
o_player

If you plan on using a vast amount of displacements for cliffs, I suggest you add some architecture to them to break up the repetition and make them look more interesting.

Also, you try and blend the point at which the floor and cliff meet to make it look more natural.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #60
o_donny

Quote:
get one from css? dods? Or simply make a brush and texture it with light (can be done so it looks nice).
Stealing models from other mods would be illeagal, and I dont want to fuck anything up by adding light to place where it really is not needed since the play area isnt there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
If you plan on using a vast amount of displacements for cliffs, I suggest you add some architecture to them to break up the repetition and make them look more interesting.

Also, you try and blend the point at which the floor and cliff meet to make it look more natural.
I have planned some sniper 'towers' (they arent towers, more like building on cliffside) but I'll see what I can do. I wont be waisting time now on the last idea, maybe when all the brushwork is there and 1 beta is ready to be tested.