Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #61
o_nomak

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
half-life 1 was revolutionary. It set the path for future gaming as we know it. As for half-life2 i dont think it was so much revolutionary as much as it was amazing graphics wise and physics wise. The water in hl2 was just AMAZING even with my nvidea 4 mx 64 mb graphics card. The water looked amazingly real. The physics were also amazing but not always. I didnt like gettin stuck in objects but hey, nothing is perfect. If and when half-life 2 expansion or half-life3 come out it is my guess that they wont be as revolutionary as hl1 but maybe just more brilliant graphics wise.
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #62
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomak
half-life 1 was revolutionary. It set the path for future gaming as we know it. As for half-life2 i dont think it was so much revolutionary as much as it was amazing graphics wise and physics wise. The water in hl2 was just AMAZING even with my nvidea 4 mx 64 mb graphics card. The water looked amazingly real. The physics were also amazing but not always. I didnt like gettin stuck in objects but hey, nothing is perfect. If and when half-life 2 expansion or half-life3 come out it is my guess that they wont be as revolutionary as hl1 but maybe just more brilliant graphics wise.
HL2 is far from revolutionary graphics-wise, as for the water, it's a simple shader (I by the way thought FarCry's water looked substantially better).
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #63
o_thedarkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Chicken
The graphics were great, but there is a great lack of enemies.
HL2 had about 13 enemy types if u place the Combine in Police and Military groups.
HL1 had about 16(but there were several grunt types).
OP4 added 5 aliens and 1 human(enemies), the male assassin. This brings the amount of enemies in an official addon(not a custom mod) to 22. And the 13 hl2 enemies were mostly combine, and its the aliens that would give a halflife feeling.
That's not an honest tally. Not all the Hl1 enemies were in Op4, just like not all the hl1 weapons were in Op4.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #64
o_spader

Like:
-Physics
-Ragdoll
-Some of the action
-Huge maps (that lagged when I played, non-fps lag *the stuttering bug u remember)
-That I got a fair sp gameplay experience, Counter-Strike source, lots of editing tools and a BUNCH of cool 3rd party mods with it (or it will be)
-Nova Prospect when the compine storm you and you have to survive for some time while Alyx does something. This place was HELL for me. I had no ammo, low HP/AP, and it was me VS the world and I had to survive while Alyx went to the ladies room.
After some tries I came up with a brilliant solution though.
I made a BUNKER out of props, and placed the auto-cannons behind them.
I finished that spot without losing a single HP point.
I really loved that place, that you had to come up with an idea by yourself on how to survive. Unfortunatly, this was only at one spot in the game... big disappointment

Dislike:
-The story is kept in the DARK for the whole fucking game. The story is good, once you have made some research. But that's what I hated.
You actually have to replay the game and discuss it online with 100s of other people for 2 weeks in order to understand it.
-The lenght. I know it's damn hard to make so many maps, but HL2 felt TOO short. One of the reasons I loved HL1 so much was the lenght of the game. I played it for ages . HL2 I finished in 5 days (normal playing, hardest diffi)
-The weaponry. Where the fuck is all the guns? They removed so many of them. The weaponry was really half-assed.
-That the whole game wasn't as cool as in the preview videos (videos that totally rocked)
-That NONE of the COOL places in the videos wasnt in the game. This is the biggest disappointment along with the lenght of the game. It really made me ANGRY!!!
-They removed the hydra (small disappointment)
-Less contraptions and puzzles than in HL1 (dunno remember correctly, but I think HL1 had more of these)
-The fighting felt linear. In HL1 it was... different

Forgot to mention one thing in my post: ESKIMOS

/Spader
o_spader is offline   Reply With Quote