Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #21
o_yomamashouse

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight
I guess that Atheists are actually in a minority and most people fall under the line of Agnostiscism (or whatever), even though it's more commonly just refered to as the former. Meaning that most people don't believe in a God because they see no reason to and after research it doesn't seem a particularly likely option. However, they're also aware of the fact that there is so much that we don't understand (what was there before the big bang etc) and the fact that it's possible for some greater being to have put the whole thing into motion. But, can also see the most basic flaws in religion. What was there before God? Who created him and who created the thing that created God? And what was there before then? Why do different religions believe in different/multiple Gods? etc.
I think the greatest problem is people have a pre planned vision of god in their head.
A greater power may be nothing more than the creation of a human mind and we could just be imposing that upon the void of knowledge. It may come as absurd to say that there could well be more than one great entity beyond the unvierse but why? Because monotheists have a desire to see it that way and so any thinking outside the box is considered wierd because polytheistic religions arent all too common. We have to vastly broaden our definition of god before we try answering questions because having the answers pre planned is for people who will settle for something that isnt true. We have to throw away almost every assumption we make.

I think we should be trying to understand the universe we live in and the laws that make it what it is before we try to expand our minds beyond it(which i would say we are incapable of anyway).

My Sci Fi/ Fantasy literature course teacher talks a lot about the origin of human beliefs(not the greastest religious detail but in general, the underlying common themes) and what would cause them to do that, then related them to sci fi and fantasy because instinctual connections like that surface a lot if you look deeply. We studied how underground/below is associated with cold dark and death and why above/the sky/light is associated with life along with other such things.

Basically the point was humans have the ability to humanize(mentally) everything they see and we have the ability to believe something we want to, evidence or not. Our old beliefs that the sun was a god and such have pretty much dissipated but still subtely show up like Jesus being portrayed in front of the sun, coming through the clouds and Satan and hell being in the bowels of the earth.

Anyhoo, they believe becuase it is the idealized way they want it to be
[/ramble]

Last edited by o_yomamashouse; 09-05-2006 at 08:25 PM.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #22
o_frenchtoast

You have DeGravio?
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #23
o_yomamashouse

Yup, he is the awesomest teacher i have had(runner up is my hot history teacher), he plays D&D with your uncle too so he gets cool++.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote