Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #61
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
I finally broke down and decided to dual boot because in the past few days - after posting that I had been super stable w/ XP Pro 64 bit - it just wants to restart itself even if idling with the bare minimum running.

Anyway, I got Ubuntu 8.10 going w/ a Win XP 32 bit VM and I just discovered Unity mode and it is the SHIT. It brings all the guest operating system windows directly into the host operating system so you don't have to have the VMware Workstation window out and taking up space.

Here is an example of what I mean.

The guest OS windows get decorated with a 'badge' and run as they would normally from the guest OS (and even show up in the Ubuntu task bar). Unity requires VMware tools be installed as well on the guest OS.

Combine this with a couple VMware file shares and you can mix and match your OS with ease.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
you can do that with all sorts of things like wine, ssh X forwarding, etc. i really like it!
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #63
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
After turning off effects in gnome - like windows flipping in and out and being kind of transparent at the top - and then removing the extra borders & badges from guest OS windows its quite nice in Unity mode. Pop-up windows flicker a bit - like right click menus in P4V or IntelliSense pop-ups but they're tolerable for the most part.

I also ran into an issue w/ VMware file shares - Visual Studio can't get FullTrust access (even after messing w/ CasPol.exe) to the share so it's useless to store the files exclusively on the host OS for the development I do. I was able to set up a Samba share and be able to get FullTrust access to that via the CasPol.exe command but Samba is so fucking slow... even when adding the common speed up things people add to smb.conf. So, for now the work perforce depot is on the hard drive twice - once on the host os and once on the guest os... which sucks since it's so huge.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #64
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
try using SCP. run openssh server on your host OS, and some SCP client that can do mapping.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote