Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
anything that uses GST will work seamlessly with pulse, as it has a pulsesink module.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose View Post
It looks like they don't play well together. Can't you use Rhythmbox, Totem, or xmms?
I have a weird combination of things I want the 'audio player of choice' to be able to do.

1) play rtsp (Real Audio) streams - I listen to a Jim Rome stream every week day from 9 AM to noon
2) be able to make a playlist of rtsp streams (like when I listen to an archive version of Jim Rome show - there are about 10 streams and each have an actual end and they need to be in a logical order)
3) play mp3's
4) route through PulseAudio
  • RhythmBox can do all but 2. It's okay to use for the live stream as it's a turn on and forget type of thing but for the archive shows it doesn't work as the streams can't be sorted inside the radio playlist thing in RhythmBox (at least I haven't found a way to do this)
  • Amarok 1.4 can do all 4 but has been locking up on me lately
  • I get no sound out of Totem (?)
  • Haven't tried Xmms in a long long time

At the moment I'm using a combination of MPlayer (technically Gnome MPlayer) & Amarok. MPlayer's been rock solid playing the stream during the morning radio show and then I use Amarok once the show is over to play any mp3's.

I also have another layer in here in that I work inside a virtual machine all day and typically I have it fullscreen'd and taking over both monitors (and jumping out of this setup to manage playback functionality or restart stuff is painful**). So, I wrote a Python UDP server (uses DCOP to talk to Amarok) that runs on the host Ubuntu system then inside the virtual machine I have a UDP remote control app I wrote that sends commands to the Python UDP server (which then relays the commands via DCOP to Amarok). Due to the prior work on the server & client I'm really keen on keeping Amarok around so I don't have to write some other kind of remote control wrapper for another player. (And I'm also keen on keeping Amarok 1.4 since the DCOP interface [I think] has changed for Amarok 2.)

** - Yes, I could always VNC into the host OS from the virtual machine (or SSH in) and kill/restart stuff but don't want to.

Last edited by Mulchman MM; 04-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Mulchman MM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Reading all this shit, it sounds like you killed a fly with a spiked bat, congrats!
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

http://mervaka.co.uk/~mervaka/rtsp_totem.png

totem ticks all your boxes just fine for me.. are you using Luke Yelavich's PPA yet?

Last edited by mervaka; 04-30-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #26
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

No, can you post a reason as to why I should be? My PulseAudio server & libs are at 0.9.14.

And actually, I misspoke about Totem - it works just fine on this [Ubuntu 9.04] box. It's another [Ubuntu 8.04] box where RhythmBox works but Totem does not but I don't play audio on that box really so it doesn't matter.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

screenlets + wallpaper clock ftw!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

I'm not that elite (click for full-size).

If you know your OS background images you'll notice that that's the Ubuntu 8.04 background (but I'm running Ubuntu 9.04) and on the Win XP virtual machine that's a Vista background.

Last edited by Mulchman MM; 05-01-2009 at 05:39 PM.