Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #21
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I've put about 150 hours in TF2.. I put 100 of those hours in it before it was even out, 50 in however many years pubbing rarely. It just got kinda boring
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
So FF is now 100% free with a Steam account? No purchases necessary?

(I know you said that this is true, I just need confirmation because it seems too good to actually be true)
Yup. If someone wants to do a completely fresh install just to make sure, that would be cool. But an account with no purchased games will download and run the 2006 engine, and it will run FF.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #23
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay View Post
TF2 retailed for $20 standalone, which was pretty modest then, and the $10 it's been going for these past months is an absolute steal.

Anyways, everyone should have seen this coming a mile away after Valve put in the in-game store, so this isn't really surprising. But now that it's free, you should all give it a try. All you naysayers be damned, this is a fun game.
Oh I bought the Orange Box back when it came out and played TF2 for a while but it's just not the same. All the parts I loved about TFC were either gone or greatly reduced in TF2. Grenades were the biggest problem for me as I am a nade whore. I don't believe there is such a thing as a bad experience when people nade spam. Usually I just ignore it or find some clever way to thwart the enemy nade spam. That was Valve's primary reason anyway for not putting nades in the game.

Anyway, I do like the fact that it's free now, but I doubt it will have much of an impact on the size of TF2 community.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
Yup. If someone wants to do a completely fresh install just to make sure, that would be cool. But an account with no purchased games will download and run the 2006 engine, and it will run FF.
That's pretty cool. Thanks Valve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Not me, but possibly others. And it was done right before this new patch. Practically the same thing happened back in 2007 when FF was released nearly the same time as TF2 was. Coincidence?
I think it is very unlikely that Valve still considers FF a threat. Yes, back in 2007, the fact TF2 was released a week or so after FF suggests Valve was worried that FF would be a big competitor. But in the months I've been playing FF, there's been little significant increase in player numbers. The idea that Valve would be scared of such a tiny mod is sort of silly.

What's more likely is, this is a reaction to the decrease in player numbers brought about by Valve's relentless cashing in and mishandling of player grievances, as well as the fact the game is nearly four years old. When I played TF2 a couple of weeks ago, there were a surprising number of empty servers, and servers populated by bots.

Last edited by episkopos; 06-25-2011 at 08:17 AM.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I don't think valve ever considered FF a serious threat
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367 View Post
I've put in about 4 - 5 hours today or so. It's alright, I still prefer FF, but when FF hasn't got people on, I'll accept it as a backup. I've already found lots of items to replace weapons that do a much better job than the defaults.

And like Panda said to me in chat when we were discussing it, becoming skilled at a game like Fortress Forever for years, means when going over to Team Fortress 2, you already have fast reactions and the ability to pick it up and play. Some things need getting used to, but I found being caked between my level 3 dispenser and level 3 SG and hitting the SG, means you can absorb amazing amounts of damage, kill streaks of 10+ at a time since the dispenser is always feeding you metal to repair. Got the achievement for having a building absorb 2000 damage pretty quickly doing that.

The Heavy with a medic behind him makes the Heavy Weapons Guy worth playing.. even being a medic is somewhat fun.

And it was a nice surprise to see the Scout can infact kill people... the scout in FF is more of a flag runner and has weak weapons, but in TF2 it has such an awesome fast firing shotgun, let me run rings around enemies and blast them apart.

In short, I enjoyed TF2, but I still enjoy Fortress Forever more, much faster paced which suits my style.
If I see you in game we can team up as engys. A couple of good engys are tough to beat in TF2. Just like FF. Unless you got some low ping spy team on your ass. Then you need a good pryo with a home-wrecker. I still try to bunny hop in TF2, on a pub I am the only player jumping around. Which gives me away playing spy. I have to TRY not to jump jump jump jump. TF2 can get pretty fast pace on payload maps and when you have a couple teles up. Otherwise unless you are a solly or demo it takes a while to cross the map. Or have the "gloves of running urgently" lol. Silly shit in TF2 but I like the sense of humor. Its kind of humiliating, for example to get killed by a fish...

More on topic, the term Free to Play has become kind of a derogatory taunt in pubs.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #27
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
If I see you in game we can team up as engys. A couple of good engys are tough to beat in TF2. Just like FF. Unless you got some low ping spy team on your ass. Then you need a good pryo with a home-wrecker. I still try to bunny hop in TF2, on a pub I am the only player jumping around. Which gives me away playing spy. I have to TRY not to jump jump jump jump. TF2 can get pretty fast pace on payload maps and when you have a couple teles up. Otherwise unless you are a solly or demo it takes a while to cross the map. Or have the "gloves of running urgently" lol. Silly shit in TF2 but I like the sense of humor. Its kind of humiliating, for example to get killed by a fish...

More on topic, the term Free to Play has become kind of a derogatory taunt in pubs.
Teamwork is incredibly powerful in TF2, possibly moreso than in FF. The Medic, being entirely teamwork-oriented, is practically the most overpowered class in the game.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
Teamwork is incredibly powerful in TF2, possibly moreso than in FF. The Medic, being entirely teamwork-oriented, is practically the most overpowered class in the game.
The TF2 medic is an interesting class. Completely underpowered on it's own kind of a run and shoot class. But extremely powerful teamed with a heavy or even good demo for defensive smashing. Especially back before they nerfed Natasha. Been alot of medics going around with F2P players. While you aren't going to do much uber carnage without some experience, one can jump in and be pretty affective just hanging out healing team mates. Feeling useful in a new game, there is some satisfaction doing that.

The only thing that really counters a good heavy medic combo is a kick ass spy or too a less degree a really good sniper that can stay alive long enough to get that perfect head shot on fat assess tiny head. It gives kitteh great pleasure busting those up, especially when an uber charg is ready.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #29
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I love when spies go after me as medic because then I get to hit them with the ubersaw. I've even been known to cancel an ubercharge just to melee somebody.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...e_source_mods/

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #31
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #32
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
So you don't have to buy anything to play FF now? Awesome.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #33
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
That should help hopefully get more people.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #34
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

That would definitely make the game available to a broader player base.

Quote:
I love when spies go after me as medic because then I get to hit them with the ubersaw. I've even been known to cancel an ubercharge just to melee somebody.
Mee too, luckily you don't have to face your healing target. As I am an overly paranoid medic. That's why as a spy I love maps with lots of catwalks. I drop down on yo ass and back stab ya before I even hit the ground. Depending on how good the medic is, I may just hit the heavy and let you THINK you killed me. 5gorge being my current favorite.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #35
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
The TF2 medic is an interesting class. Completely underpowered on it's own kind of a run and shoot class.
Iunno, I can be pretty successful as a battle medic.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote