Respect38
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: Hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Ah, gotcha.

It would be nice if some of the more active/experienced players could be given the rights to post events to the main group for certain servers.
Hm... you know what, I just thought, I've suggested this exact same idea in other communities, I wonder if the issue was that they didn't understand the usefulness of events?

Events are very powerful tools to get servers populated, and since we already have a large, populated group in front of us, why not utilize it?

EDIT: Oh, and just looking at the PopulateFF group, oaties, mattorrr, and aleXtric may all be candidates for active players to have events.

As long as neither of them have an agenda for one clan or another, I couldn't care less. Which is why I want the events to take place on Rice's server, and not OldTimers's.

But, then again, I've heard people say that Rice has no rights in calling his the Official Fortress Forever Server (erm, I think it's called that) so I don't know. I'm just going to shut up now.

EDIT2: I've only been here for a few weeks, even later than my join date, to be honest.

Last edited by Respect38; 05-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Respect38 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #42
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Yeah I just think events on pub servers a few times, or once, a week would be great fun. Maybe playing some underplayed maps, for example, in CTF rotations for a night. It could be really fun! Maybe having some really odd class combinations, various odd maps, etc.

Doom does this, we can too!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect38 View Post
But, then again, I've heard people say that Rice has no rights in calling his the Official Fortress Forever Server (erm, I think it's called that) so I don't know. I'm just going to shut up now.
Who ever said that is retarded. We've had other 'Official' Servers, but they were in the UK, I also think there was an US Server as well, but they are gone. FF needed a Official Server,so I got one for them. None of the other devs have said anything to me, if it was a problem with them, I would have gladly changed the name. They all have RCON and FTP Access to the server; if they want to do beta tests for a prototype map in the public they can. It is the Dev's server, I just pay for it.

The Server is meant for everyone to use, events, beta testing maps, etc.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Last edited by Ricey; 05-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #44
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:

EDIT2: I've only been here for a few weeks, even later than my join date, to be honest.
lol, the thing is while people give ricey crap and I mean lots of it. That doesn't do anything around here. Okay I might be giving him to much credit. That being said hes still a dev and if the non jew developers had a problem with the server, well they'd have told to him can it by now. i'll bet behind the scenes but, they still would've done it.

also ricey hows the website going? (up untill now i wasn't aware ricey did anything i mean seriously.)

Seriously though we should use the FF steam group. Maybe even get the populate FF group to boost player count. I mean if people don't know anyone is on, why would they get on to? I mean events can do wonders for communities. It lets everyone know that someone is on and playing there game. I watched it work wonders in TF2 servers would fill up just like that. (in BF3 servers, pretty much any game that uses announcements to its advantage.) I don't want to hear crap about how TF2 sucks why you ask? TF2 actually has people playing it all the time. 24/7

This is but one small thing i think the devs and the community aren't taking advantage of.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-27-2012 at 03:28 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #45
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
too many words not enough playing
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #46
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I'd love to see community events through the Steam group(s) happen.

I would be playing if the pickup filled/I didn't need to take more medications, which as seen last night, really hinders my ability to play.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #47
Respect38
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
lol, the thing is while people give ricey crap and I mean lots of it. but that doesn't do anything around here. okay i might be giving him to much credit. that being said hes still a dev and if the non jew developers had a problem with the server, well they'd have told to him cann it by now. i'll bet behind the scenes but, they still would've done it. (no one wants to see his naked jew ass get spanked. )

also ricey hows the website going?
What?

I don't usually say anything, but, WiFi... seriously, the lack of capitalization and correct punctuation makes what you type difficult for me to read.

Quote:
seriously though we should use the FF steam group and even populate FF group to boost player count. I mean if people don't know anyone is on, why would they get on to? I mean events can do wonders for communities. it lets everyone know that someone is on and playing there game. I watched it work wonders in TF2 servers would fill up just like that. (in BF3 servers, pretty much any game that uses announcements to its advantage.) I don't want to hear crap about how TF2 sucks why you ask? TF2 actually has people playing it all the time. 24/7

this is but one small thing i think the devs and the community aren't taking advantage of.
How do you propose the community try to take advantage of it? We're not the ones that have access to a 3,000+ person group.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #48
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
You could just make a new steam group, then have the person in charge of the steam group to post an announcement about the new steam group.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #49
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
You could just make a new steam group, then have the person in charge of the steam group to post an announcement about the new steam group.
Kubedawg's new server smells like brand new shoes.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #50
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

It's got a mixture of that new shoe AND new tire smell. It's kinda stinky, but we like it that way.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #51
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Yes, it has already become the home of late night/early morning philosophical, religious, and political debate.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #52
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Yes, it has already become the home of late night/early morning philosophical, religious, and political debate.
Someone (and I'm not naming any names. ^ ) forgot to bring this.

Quote:
What?

I don't usually say anything, but, WiFi... seriously, the lack of capitalization and correct punctuation makes what you type difficult for me to read.
Also Respect38 I did some (more) editing. I wrote that late at night for me. For the rest of you early mourning. (Was busy participating in the late night/early mourning philosophical, religious, and political debate. ) Also not to mention that already edited it into sentences in my haste I missed adding the capitals...

Quote:
How do you propose the community try to take advantage of it? We're not the ones that have access to a 3,000+ person group.
Respect it is not about what I want you to do about it. Rather it is what you yourself is going/willing to do about it. Whether it is making a new steam group, getting access to an existing steam group. or somthing entirely differnet medium liek utilizing twitter/email/etc... FF group/Populate FF group

Those are only some of the things you could do with that information. I however want to see what you can come up with. Maybe its even better than what some of the others have already thought of.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-27-2012 at 04:17 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #53
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Ok. I agree with all the things you guys think need to happen.

It won't happen unless, someone just does it. You can't just sit around saying, this needs to be done.

Someone needs to just do it (or be forced into it), and it can't be someone that everyone hates. This isn't a joke, this isn't opinion. If anythings going to happen with groups and events, someone just has to do it. It's not like we don't know, it's not like it hasn't be suggested before.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick. But actions speak louder, ect. ect. Do it, or pester someone else into it nonstop until they do it. Literally end of discussion.

But you can't just post in this thread about "how ideal it'd be if it happened."
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #54
Respect38
D&A Member

I suppose I set myself up for that one.

Anyway, I believe that the first thing done should be to clean out the inactives of the admins on the Steam group, and put a group of active, trustable players into admin positions.

Next, give the new admins rights to create events, tell them how to make events if needed, explain to them that events should not be spammed and that events should not be biased towards any clan (should we choose to do so) unless it's required, such as a skill server event and there be only one skill server.

What could go wrong! (Now that I've said that...)

Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #55
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Well I just sent this to squeek through the forums, seeing as he hasn't responded to my steam friend proposal yet:

A lot of us in the FF community think that it would be a good idea to utilize the FF Steam Group to its fullest potential.

Would it be possible to give admin rights to a lot of the more active/experienced FF members and ask them if they would be willing to post numerous events and announcements within the group for things such as community events, pickups, and the like? This might help generate interest in the game from former members who have since left.

These events/announcements should be daily, if not weekly -- not too many, and not too little. There could be a sticky'd thread in the forums as well for some weekly event, like a Saturday Night pubbing event, off the top of my head as an example.

What do you think?

Sooooo hopefully something might come out of this. We shall see.

I agree with FDA; I've been talking about a ton of things that should and could happen, but I've hardly done anything. It's time to win the lottery for tournaments, advertising, and sponsorships. But I'll start with this here message.

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 05-27-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #56
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I don't think there'd be any harm in numerous people messaging him about this...

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #57
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Daily might be too many. Don't want people to start leaving the FF Steam Group due to intrusive/frequent announcements. I'd say like once a week would be better.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #58
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Daily might be too many. Don't want people to start leaving the FF Steam Group due to intrusive/frequent announcements. I'd say like once a week would be better.
iddm8
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
Respect38
D&A Member

Quote:
I've never understood why one event per day was a problem.

I mean, it is, I've heard people complain about too many events before, but you don't' have to join an event, so I've never had a problem with it.

Either way, I think once a week is way too few events.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
I've never understood why one event per day was a problem.

I mean, it is, I've heard people complain about too many events before, but you don't' have to join an event, so I've never had a problem with it.

Either way, I think once a week is way too few events.
The issue is that you cant turn off event notifications so you will ALWAYS get them when you're in the group if you like it or not.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote