Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #41
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
<3 I love that I'm not super duper old school (I mean, I'd figure 1 1/2 years is long enough to be old timer) but still respected enough to deserve a mention. <3 for the people who appreciate me *hugs for Geo*

Did I also mention I'm responsible, diligent, hygienic, timely, coordinated, well spoken, verbose, cauterized, synthesized, unpasteurized, fraternized, lactose-intolerant, anal-retentive, radical, tubular, gnarly, level 15 rogue/assassin, home-owning, semi-employed, taken (woo woo), evil incarnate, rectified, sanctified, ratified, over-fed, regular (thanks all-bran!), under-paid, available on sundays, leather protected, go well with ketchup, play well with others, well-read, over-stimulated, sterilized, fanciful, wistful, optimistic, reformed, reborn, refried, and have extra time on my hands (as well as dried seme....errr cheeto dust?)

Plus I think Lost and Merv have man-crushes on me
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #42
arsenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeefy
I think this absent tester problem stems from the fact that most beta testers were clan buddies of devs... who must've interpretted "beta tester" to mean "here, take a no-obligation peek at the game cuz we're friends" and that was the end of it. That's just nepotism to me. Nephew Freddy doesn't work very hard.
I think the dev team made a mistake doing this but unfortunately you could see it coming from a mile away.

The front put up on the forums was that they were going to be fair and fairly diverse when it came to picking beta testers but I don't think anyone is hugely surprised that a large portion of the testers are old and current clan mates of the devs. No doubt these players were (and are) pretty good at tfc, but that is hardly the most important criterion for selecting a beta tester.

Last edited by arsenal; 03-23-2007 at 07:47 AM.
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #43
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
i wouldnt call that unfair at all. obviously a large part of selecting people to beta test is trust, and you are more likely to trust someone that you have known for some substantial amount of time than just another screen name on an application. unfortunately, trusting them not to leak info doesnt mean they are going to be active in the beta testing process. which is why the devs need people that are trustworthy and dedicated, something i feel the can find with certain members of the community *points toward geos list*
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #44
SmellyCat
Darknight

... "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

Kinda relevant. Be wary of the "zomg I wants 2 beta testz now!" but I guess you're already aware of that. If I'm honest, I just wanted to throw in a hitch hikers quote.

Some good forum-active names Geo's list. Although, I'd be surprised if some of them aren't already doing their bit on the beta.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #45
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
i wouldnt call that unfair at all. obviously a large part of selecting people to beta test is trust, and you are more likely to trust someone that you have known for some substantial amount of time than just another screen name on an application. unfortunately, trusting them not to leak info doesnt mean they are going to be active in the beta testing process. which is why the devs need people that are trustworthy and dedicated, something i feel the can find with certain members of the community *points toward geos list*
Skanky has the right of it. You've got to trust the guys you're giving the beta to, and I'd wager that some people were supposed to participate more than they do. I'm on there every day, last couple of weeks being an exception due to other shit going on, but even being busy on the weekends and being gone during the week, I pack up my beta shit and take it with me. Playing FF on a 64meg integrated vid card sucks balls but I found out that it works, none the less.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #46
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Well, I think one thing to remember is that when we started the beta, we weren't really wanting to have lots of people play it. We started small, because FF wasn't ready for the masses. So at first, it was mainly about getting people to check out the mod...people we knew we could trust. That's why we mainly brought on people we knew. But its steadily become more of a "god damn, we just need more people playing so we can truly test." So yeah, that's where we are now...where we've been for a while now, actually.

I agree with Ihmhi, by the way. So do other dev/beta bitches. I guess we'll see what happens...
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #47
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
yeah the forum Junkies that spent a shit load of time on the forum would spend a shit load of time beta testing. You could add like 30 more people that you know would be active beta testing. Well here are a few candidates. AKA* The FF Junkies

Circ
Nezumi
Shax
Deadly Furby
Bubbles
Uber
Skanky
Innoc
Loader
FrenchToast
Cruor
Ekim
YomamasHouse
Vertical
Psycnet (not really an old junky but yeah)
Skull and Spiderman
Player
drtom
Anshinritsumai
Ihmhi
Qui
Bumgravy
Stino
nodnarb
Nagual
Zippy
Me
etc...

ummmmm hello???

hey, i got laid off so i have LOTS of time
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #48
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Yah, puppy used to be a hardcore forumwhore but kinda fell off the map when the forums reset.

You are a pirate!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #49
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Well, he DOES have 22,600 posts... wait, now -1,650... wait, now... well shit, this makes determining dedication altogether more difficult.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #50
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
which dedicated forum user would make a really bad tester? :P
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #51
sensai

I would be awesome at beta testing.
sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #52
radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
me
radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 PM   #53
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISH
Also me, if your previous comments are any indication!
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #54
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
I don't think the right solution is to just increase the number of testers, what I normally see is you cut fat from the pool, then try to add more meat. You do this over and over until you have a test that feels right, both in size and feedback. Too many people causes unnecessary signal-to-noise ratio, while too few doesn't allow the bodies and coverage you need.
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #55
Vertical
Programmer/Web Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Vertical Send a message via AIM to Vertical Send a message via MSN to Vertical Send a message via Yahoo to Vertical
Well if you look at the list Geo created, you already know that Geo and those people included on the list have taken the time to create an account on the forums and actively discuss the game daily, as well as keep the forums alive with new content. I try not to make needless posts, and only post when I deem a topic necessary to do so. Hence why I've never had a hundred-million posts. But I do keep an eye on things daily, and check each forum and it's topics daily. Most nights (as I'm sure a large number of Geo's list and others do) I sit at home watching TV, etc. with nothing to really do. Of course there are days which I am busy, but that happens to everyone from time to time. I think if your going to find people you can trust to be beta testers, a selection from the forums couldn't be a better place. They've already shown enough dedication to sign up, post new topics and discuss current ones. Where do you expect to find a better crowd? Random people off the net? (Of course having some random testers would probably be a good idea to get some of those that have never played a TF game) Anyway I agree with the general consensus of this thread, and will keep an eye on the mod and forums as usual.
Vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #56
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Hi Vert! Nice to see you.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #57
Tyrus

I didn't make the list.
Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #58
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical
Vert's post
Post count doesn't determine anything more than the fact that they post a lot. Just because you don't spam the forums like I do doesn't mean you don't participate. Those of us who have been around know there are quite a few lurkers who are active but don't post all the time. Vertical, Aftershock and ranni are three off the top of my head.

You are a pirate!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #59
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrus
I didn't make the list.
Bullshit. Here's my list.

-Tyrus

That's it.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #60
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I Didn't make the list either

Yet