Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
BritishTang
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Help the Dev find a video card

Alright guys, I love sound. I can make sound. I make love to sound.

But I blow at hardware. So here it goes, the wife cleared me to buy a new video card. Recommend me a moderate new video card, not too pricey. I'm poor. I have no PCI-E slot. So I'm limited in my options.

I just need something that will make C&C3 and HL2 look sexy.

I love you all.

p.s. I was thinking an ATI x800? heck I don't know.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run. He's fuzzy. Get outta here.

-Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by BritishTang; 02-19-2007 at 04:47 AM.
BritishTang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
Me wishes me was smarter , so me can do greater things but me is so dumb, me would so recommend, but me like a smurf,
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
BritishTang
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Me wishes me was smarter , so me can do greater things but me is so dumb, me would so recommend, but me like a smurf,
Fantastic.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run. He's fuzzy. Get outta here.

-Mitch Hedberg

Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
Im not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just not much experienced with hardware.
p.s. whats the video card you currently have?
i have a GeForce FX 5200LE or something like that, it sucks, but pretty pretty, ima upgrade to something more powerful like the ati's or something.........
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
o_sh4x

I would sell you my BFG6800GTOC that comes with a lifetime warranty if we were in May.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
o_paranoidkirb

X1650 is actually quite nice. I have the X1600 for AGP (no PCI-E slot either). Runs pretty nicely. If I had more RAM and less other stuff running while running HL2, I could make it really sexy-like.
o_paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
o_-=bingo-bango=-

I had the same problem with the no pci-e also.

I went to my CompUSA looked around. I was thinking of going for a Nvidia because I used to have a Nvidia FX5200. But the salesmen recommended the ATI Radeon X1300 512MB (them manufacturer is VisionTek but thats not nearly as important as the kind of kard you're getting.) It was $170 for the 512MB ( the one I got) or $150 for the 256MB

I swapped out the cards. Installed the drivers from the disk it came with, runs awesome. I have 1GB ram and All games that I have run on all high settings and HDR on. The only game I seem to have a slight freezing every once in a while is HL2:EP1, but withought HDR on it runs fine.

Box Shot (it says 256MB, i couldnt find a pic of 512MB)

Card
o_-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
o_jinx

HDR is pretty, but it makes me feel sick when I play, sort of nauseous like motion sickness. I don't plan on turning it on for any game any time soon
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
o_zencheetah

Get a geforce 7900. I'm sure those by now are around 180-200 dollars, as the 7950 is 280.

I'm not sure of the price for sure but I know that it supports almost all of the latest technology.

I just finished building my computer for the most part.. all I need now is ram and a video card. Gonna go buy an 8800 when I get the money and 2 gb of dual core ram.

computer is gonna be a powerhouse.
o_zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
o_sidd42

TomsHardwareSays
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #11
o_own3r

Personally I have a 6600GT and that works fine for HL2 I am not sure about your other game though. The x800 is quite a bit better but the only problem is its ATI which have the worst drivers going. Especially for linux which I use alot so I avoid them like the plague.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
o_agret

Here's a list of video cards with the most powerful at the top and the weakest at the bottom. It'll give you a good indication of where you stand although you'll have to look up prices elsewhere.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index...ki&tag=rmp_vds

I would look at getting an X1950 Pro, it offers good performance and affordability. The 256MB X1950Pro MSI costs 250 Australian dollars which converted with Google comes to 196 U.S. dollars.
o_agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
o_mooga

I got a ATI X1600 Pro (512 MB) for 100 USD on black friday.
I LOVE the card ^.^

It's not a million dollor card but it's the bast card I've ever hand since I've normaly played with crap.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
o_ginger lord

7900GS is pretty damn good, anything above is a waste of money before DX10.

Leadtek one is damn near silent too.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
BritishTang
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Im not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just not much experienced with hardware.
p.s. whats the video card you currently have?
i have a GeForce FX 5200LE or something like that, it sucks, but pretty pretty, ima upgrade to something more powerful like the ati's or something.........
No no not at all! I was saying fantastic because I actually got a reply.
Currently I have a radeon 9600 pro or whatever.

One wards! Thanks for all of the information guys! It's really been helpful! I will use the websites and read up on recommended cards! I shall inform you of my decision later!

-Mitch Hedberg

Old 02-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #16
o_zydell

You should buy this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
BritishTang
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
You should buy this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you my yellow brother, but my father actually owns a keyboard company. Infact, the largest. So I get keyboards for free.

-Mitch Hedberg

Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
o_paranoidkirb

Hook us up with some then!
o_paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
o_sizeablessonic

Personally, I'm just waiting a bit for the DX 10 cards to go down in price a bit. Trust me, you dont wan't to buy a DX 9 card, then a short while later, the DX 10 cards go down in price. I think the GeForce 8850 is coming out somewhat soon, so the 8800 should probably be coming down in price sooner or later, not to mention ATi is releasing it's own DX 10 cards pretty soon, thus there will be more compitition, and thus prices will probably slip a bit.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
o_gambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agret
Here's a list of video cards with the most powerful at the top and the weakest at the bottom. It'll give you a good indication of where you stand although you'll have to look up prices elsewhere.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index...ki&tag=rmp_vds

I would look at getting an X1950 Pro, it offers good performance and affordability. The 256MB X1950Pro MSI costs 250 Australian dollars which converted with Google comes to 196 U.S. dollars.

sooooo....its safe to assume that my card sucks seeing as how its not on the list??...lol....not like i didnt know that already anyway...but what can i say...its still alot better than intergrated graphics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
Personally, I'm just waiting a bit for the DX 10 cards to go down in price a bit. Trust me, you dont wan't to buy a DX 9 card, then a short while later, the DX 10 cards go down in price. I think the GeForce 8850 is coming out somewhat soon, so the 8800 should probably be coming down in price sooner or later, not to mention ATi is releasing it's own DX 10 cards pretty soon, thus there will be more compitition, and thus prices will probably slip a bit.

i'm currently building my own comp now...i have everything but the RAM Video card and Proc.(have one picked out...just waiting to get it...newborns...cost money)

but i am going to wait to see what comes out as well...

Tang...i'd go with Radeon man...i've heard alot of good things about them...
o_gambit is offline   Reply With Quote