Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you think of a new design?
No, whats wrong with the old one? 15 25.00%
Yes, the old one is to dated. 38 63.33%
I don't care either way. 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Website Thoughts

I'm trying to figure out some quick stuff.

First: What do you think of the current web DESIGN, not the content. As a community, are you wanting a change? Please vote in the above poll.

Second: Site content. What should be added to the site that will keep everyone here for all of the Fortress Forever needs? Directory of community maps / custom models and sounds?

All reasonable ideas will be considered.
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
karnage
Forum Lurker Extreme

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
i was thinking about this the other day. the other major mods have a nice flash based design. not to knock the current design, which is nice, completely functional, and easy to use. but it doesn't grab your attention like black mesa does. a website redesign coinciding with 2.0 could show an extra level of dedication and make it easier to grab new players. first impressions mean a lot and for a lot of players this site is their first impression.

on another note, news posts need to be more frequent. they don't need to have huge update news, just something to show that the mod is still active. when a player first visits the site and sees that news hasn't been posted in more than a week, they might assume the mod is dead. again, first impressions.
karnage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the current design. But yeah, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnage
on another note, news posts need to be more frequent. they don't need to have huge update news, just something to show that the mod is still active. when a player first visits the site and sees that news hasn't been posted in more than a week, they might assume the mod is dead. again, first impressions.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Design is simple and i like it but there must be at least a quick start guide on the page, also the links of the downloads must be on the page itself not on wikipedia, the order of the things at the menu should be like:

News

INFO (a lil intro, links to Quick Start (lil guide with screens, i know i gotta do it but im a lil handsfull right now with ingame clan stuff) and FAQ)

Downloads (with requirements and a how-to install)

Screenshots (remade)

Contact
(maybe u can merge this two, the simple the better)
Dev

Forums
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Design is simple and i like it but there must be at least a quick start guide on the page, also the links of the downloads must be on the page itself not on wikipedia, the order of the things at the menu should be like:
Speaking of guides... for those of you who have not checked the Wiki lately...

CHECK IT OUT

Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I do think it need a bit of change, but the content is obviously the most important factor. I wouldn't go as far as to say we need Flash in the site, but it could look sexier.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
As long as it is functional and done well, I wouldn't mind a change. But this current design is efficient, quick-loading, and nice looking. I don't mind a change, but I really hope it doesn't go backwards. Full-Flash sites make me vomit, so please don't head in that direction.

But, in terms of content, I think the wiki, downloads, and forums sections should be made to stand out a bit. Even without a redesign, the media section should be updated. A community map/models/custom content database would be really nice as well.

Still can't wait for 2.0 to hit.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
Speaking of guides... for those of you who have not checked the Wiki lately...

CHECK IT OUT

*duly impressed*
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

The website itself needs a lot of the content.

Too much content is pushed over into stickied threads or the wiki. Some very simple guides detailing each class with links to the more expanded guides on the wiki would do wonders.

Forcing people to the wiki through the download section is pretty "lazy". Put a true download section up with links to the wiki.

The media section is full of mostly dated content. It needs to be updated on just about every aspect possible. Obviously 2.0 needs to be released first though.

Long ago the idea was that this website would also serve as a central hub for custom content. Many people have already released content and are already hosting it somewhere else. Posting this kind of thing on the website would be great. This includes maps, sounds, models, skins, ect.

A list of leagues currently running the mod would also help. Seems a lot of people are at least interested in reading about clan play but not many people enjoy having one league forced down their throat every time they talk about a clan. Options are great.

Another section devoted purely to the current status of the mod. This section would have a professionally typed known bug list, current release of the mod, WIP ideas for the next versions, and anything else I left out.

Pretty much anything else that can be found in a sticky topic that could better serve the website I'm 100% ok with. It is far too sloppy to expect people to find what they are looking for in these forums.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Foxtrick

It doesn't offer anything 'special'. Theres no style shouting out at anyone.

Don't really think it needs a massive change but a more customised look, otherwise you could easily think its its an altogether clean but boring look

The great thing is though(to not end on a negative), the site is very concise and informed well, aside as mentioned, more journals/news. We just need abit more creativeness.
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
nodnarb

The current problem right now as we transition Project Leaders is that the website FTP access has not been handed over yet.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
I'd like to have a new look and new features w/o resorting to flash.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
I do think it need a bit of change, but the content is obviously the most important factor. I wouldn't go as far as to say we need Flash in the site, but it could look sexier.
I think flash might drive people away, actually. But yea, as far as the site goes, I really like the simplistic design. It just needs more updated and dynamic content added.
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I personally don't mind the design itself, but I definitely think we need an ftp that mods can use to upload things like:

Maps
Mod Files
Config's
etc.

I really think that the FF web-site should be the central hub for everyone to be able to get all the maps and files the want.

We can use the wiki (I think) to achieve this, but that can only list the other mirros we have set up. I would prefer if we could upload the maps and files directly to the site.

Other then that, I personally think the wiki is a much better idea for download then the site, because more can be explained there and it let's people know that we have a wiki and it will get them to explore it for all of the tutorials and etc that we have set up there.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #15
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
I think flash might drive people away, actually. But yea, as far as the site goes, I really like the simplistic design. It just needs more updated and dynamic content added.

In the distant future (other things to finish right now) there could be small flv flash movies embedded on one side, playing clips of kick ass conc jumps / flag touches, and impressive airshots etc. But other than i agree, flash is more of a nuisance than html. And Dr. Satan, while it's true that the Wiki needs more prominent placement on the website, it does feel a bit "cheap" to be redirected to the wiki page for downloads (imo).
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #16
Bakez

Agree with what SoBe says. Linking to external sites such as wiki, or linking to forum threads, which in turn link to youtube for tutorials is really lazy and is not good.
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #17
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I think this current design is good, but it needs a bit of polish.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #18
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i agree with most of the things here, but what ever you do, do NOT go full flash. or 50% flash.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #19
nodnarb

Excellent ideas, keep 'em coming!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #20
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
The website design and layout is good looking and easily usable.
Adding a section for community maps and models would be nice, but the first thing I think the website needs is just a refresh.

The "about" and "documentation" tabs have little information, and neither have been updated since the beta. They provide outdated and incorrect information to visitors - "Is there a release date planned, at least an estimate?
Unfortunately, we can't say yet when Fortress Forever will be completed and available for download."

A dev or community leader should just go through each tab and read through, get rid of outdated information, and update everything that has newer content.

The documentation tab has no link to the wiki, which is an enormous waste, because if I were a visitor looking to check out the mod I'd browse the media [old] and the documentation... but never find the wiki.