Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
London (Almost) Bombing

I'm glad this wasn't successful. I know that islamic groups claim they dislike the US for our "foreign policy", which I think is a wonderful BS excuse for them. What's their beef with the UK?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Same empire.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
What's their beef with the UK?
Their allies with the US
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Loader
>_<

Erm, Terrorism isn't just in the US mate... It's world wide.. We did have a succesful bombing a few years back.

And no one has been blamed yet.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Does anyone here believe that if the UK completely broke ties with the US that the islamic groups in the UK would immediately leave and not have a problem with them? (If that is what they have said that's why they have to blow up civilians in the UK)

Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
It was almost two years ago that the bus bombings happened. 7-7-7 is the anniversary.
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
No, because Europe is having a problem with a lot of Muslims coming into their country and their refusal to "integrate". Look at France and what they did with hijabs (head scarves); girls are not allowed to wear them in schools, I believe.

I mean, honestly, who do you think is more prone to get bombed: us, or Europe? Spain had a train bomb, Britain had the bus bombs and now almost a car bomb? They are in more danger than we are because they can just DRIVE into some of these countries rather than have to fly.

Hell, it is as easy to get from country to country in Europe (in some places, at least) as it is to get from State to State in America.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Jifcuits

Has it been confirmed that it was islamic extremists that did this?
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Loader
>_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jifcuits
Has it been confirmed that it was islamic extremists that did this?
No, no one has been blamed/taken blame yet.

And scuzzy, the US isn't the world mate.. There are other things out there that don't involve the stars and stripes. May be hard to believe.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

As abysmal as the US is about allowing people into the country, I would venture to say it's much easier to enter a European country than go over seas from the Middle East than it would be to take a plane/train to Europe considering the proximity. It's a shame that Muslim groups feel like they have to resort to violence to try and find their spot in society. I respect people feeling passionately about their religion, but it's really actually very retarded they blow themselves/others/buildings for it.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
And scuzzy, the US isn't the world mate.. There are other things out there that don't involve the stars and stripes. May be hard to believe.
Which brings me back to my original question Loader, what did the UK do to piss muslim extremists off? I personally don't know if it's the stars and stripes, which is why I asked. As for being confirmed, there is plenty of circumstatial evidence popping up that this is the case in who is to blame.

I'm not sure why people are stating that it's easier to walk into the UK and France and that's why they are targetting those countries... I need a little more detail to understand the correlation. Yes, they are closer, but why target them?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Yes, they are closer, but why target them?
It makes the same point, but with less effort.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Quote:
Which brings me back to my original question Loader, what did the UK do to piss muslim extremists off?
1) We don't know who it was, jumping to conclusions doesnt help.
2) We are also in Iraq and Afghanistan in case some people didn't notice.

Terrorism and the UK is nothing new, the July 7th bombings didnt even touch what the IRA was upto in the 70's/80's/90's where a bombing a week was the norm.

Edit: iirc MI5/MI6 also said that for every July 7th they stop around 20 similar plots that the media/public doesnt hear about.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
Erm, Terrorism isn't just in the US mate... It's world wide.. We did have a succesful bombing a few years back.

And no one has been blamed yet.
We've had decades of them. Everyone seems to forget the IRA years.

Quote:
As abysmal as the US is about allowing people into the country
Took me two fucking hours to get into LA last time. They took pictures of me, my finger prints and gave me the 'Spanish Inquisition'. America is one of the most annoying countries to get into. As if that's going to stop a terrorist. He's not going to tick the box on the form that says 'Yes, I'm here to kill you all.' Immigration controls don't stop terrorism. War definitely doesn't stop terrorism. Good police work stops terrorism.

Quote:
what did the UK do to piss muslim extremists off?
We invaded Afghanistan and then Iraq and maintain sizable forces there. We talked a big game about fighting Islamic extremism and backed and followed a number of US initiatives in the 'War on Terrorâ„¢' (what a bullshit slogan that is.) Basically we made a lot of noise that upset them. How big a target you are is all about perception, how islamic extremists view your country and government. We've used fighting them to gain political points, as, I understand, have politicians in the US. This is the downside.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
SmellyCat
Darknight

I'm happy I'm too young to remember all the IRA shit that went on - that stuff was pretty nasty times and I assume worse than our current situation. However, I just cannot understand the whole ideology behind blowing stuff up, how can that possibly make things better for your cause if you piss off an entire nation? Although, with the whole afghan/Iraq situation I guess we're pretty much guilty of doing the same.

And Halo, I live just outside Barnsley... *waves*
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #16
halo

'ello! Not drowned then ey? Been pretty damp round these parts of late .

The IRA stuff never really bothered us all that much. Bulldog spirit and so forth. We just got on with life. We caught a lot of them, killed others, never really worked our way to the high ranking lot though, several of them are MPs now. The IRA gradually moved away from violence. Think the first time they gave it up was 1972, then a number broke off and formed another IRA, then that IRA gave up violence and another IRA broke away.

They had some real psychos, some of the torture that went on within Ireland, what kind of fucked up mind comes up with that stuff? None of the real political IRA, fighting for their freedom, are left now. They've just become another organised crime gang, more or less. In any case, if they got all they wanted it wouldn't make much practical difference in day-to-day life now.

They did have some very legitimate concerns initially, whole sections of Northern Ireland were just totally disenfranchised and nothing was being done about it. They just made the problem exponentially worse though.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Is it your contention that leaving Iraq and Afganistan and apologizing will stop the current Islamic terrorism in the UK? In the future will the UK need to look at the religious make-up of a country before deciding to invade?

Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Granted they are still in the starting stages of the investigation, the car bombings are indicadive of similar attacks by al Qaeda. I've also read:

Quote:
It emerged last night that hours before the first bomb was found, a message on a jihadist website proclaimed: "Today I say: Rejoice by Allah, London shall be bombed."

Posted in the "Al Hesbah" chatroom, the message suggested the attack was linked to the war in Iraq and to the controversial author Salman Rushdie, whose award of a knighthood earlier this month sparked outrage in the Islamic world.
In the past people in this forum have suggested that the US's foreign policy was to blame for attacks on the United States. Should the UK remove themselves from Iraq and Un-Knight Salman Rushdie to correct their actions that have enflamed these terrorists?

Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
Jifcuits

No, giving in to terrorists demands would be a stupid thing to do in my opinion

Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Jifcuits

And if we did adhere to all their current demands the terrorism wouldn't stop because our beliefs are opposed to theirs and we're bound to disagree with them and their way of life in the future