Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Jinx
Minor Soundcard Upgrade...?

To be honest, I've got no issues with the 16-bit integrated sound on my motherboard. But I've heard people say the 24-bit cards sound better, and everyone says RealTek integrated audio sucks. Also, it supposedly takes a little work off the processor?

Note that I only use stereo speakers, I don't have much interest in surround sound. This is for music and gaming. Should 16-bit be enough? That's CD quality, right?

Was considering something basic like this:
SoundBlaster Audigy SE PCI

It's only $30, so it's not much money if it will be any improvement at all.

Also, do they take much juice? I have a 480 watt Antec psu powering a 3.47ghz P4, 2.5gb ram, 2 hard drives, 4 optical drives, IDE card, and a 6800GT. Am I pushing it? Everything's been just fine so far.

I figure I can move the USB back-panel above the video card, ditch the external sata panel I don't use, and put it right about the IDE controller...

Last edited by Jinx; 03-06-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006 - $70

Really good sound and what I think is pretty damn good price. 96khz/24-bit with EAX 5.0 and Advanced HD decoding. Makes even a pair of headphones sound awesome.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
That looks like shit! Glowing blue shit, which is awesome, but shit nonetheless.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

*ignores circ*

PsYcNeT: I don't have $70... is the EAX 5.0 encoding worthwhile? To be honest, I usually turn EAX off, I find it annoying or distracting in most games. Same with HDR and some of these new special visual effects, those make me motion sick.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Well EAX can be reverb-craziness, but the Advanced HD really does seem to do wonders in games that support it, (Prey, BF2/2142 etc.) though I am using a 2.1 digital speaker set (coaxial SPDIF cable) with the XtremeMusic version of the card.

I would say it's worth it just so you don't have to buy a sound card for 4-5 years

Old 03-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

well I don't *have* to buy one at all. I'm just wondering if a basic $30 card like that is going to be an improvement over the integrated. I don't care about any of the fancy crap, just whether it will sound better for music and games in general.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

a 48khz/16-bit 30$ card will not likely sound better than your integrated, but a 96khz/24-bit 70$ card would. The bit clarity difference is very noticible.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
*ignores circ*
0145.11> JinxthePooka: lol you see the pic in my soundcard thread? of my mess of a pc's interior?
0145.18> Circtf: Not yet.
0145.50> JinxthePooka: doesn't even show the top with the psu & optical drives. it's a rat's nest.

YOU SAID IT FIRST.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circtf
0145.11> JinxthePooka: lol you see the pic in my soundcard thread? of my mess of a pc's interior?
0145.18> Circtf: Not yet.
0145.50> JinxthePooka: doesn't even show the top with the psu & optical drives. it's a rat's nest.

YOU SAID IT FIRST.
I wasn't showing it off because it was pretty you ho

Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
a 48khz/16-bit 30$ card will not likely sound better than your integrated, but a 96khz/24-bit 70$ card would. The bit clarity difference is very noticible.
The Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE is an excellent value upgrade to 7.1 surround sound on the PC. Featuring high quality audio specifications including 24-bit/96kHz recording and playback with 100dB signal to noise ratio and digital output, it's the ideal partner for surround music and movie playback. For realistic gaming, EAX® ADVANCED HD 3.0 support delivers acoustic effects and detailed 7.1 3D surround sound in gaming.
That's the $30 card...

Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

WEll then buy it smart guy!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
kam

Depends how good your speakers/headphones are imo

I bought Audio Technica AD700 headphones (crazy good) and even with Realtek AC97 onboard crap there was a massive difference than if I used my previous Beyerdynamic DT231pro set with an X-Fi soundcard.

Personally I'd wait and see if the majority of upcoming games will use OpenAL or not. But you said you don't care about EAX so... Fuck?
kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
also, it mostly sounds as good as the source audio you're playing. since most game sounds and music are only shipped at 44.1KHz 16bit. go for the right manufacturer, not the uber cool sample rates. the quality difference is mostly in the quality of the A/Ds they use, and the quality of the sample clock (look up jitter and quantisation noise)

88.2k and 96k are just using 2x oversampling, which in my books doesn't attribute to much. 24bit audio however sounds tres cool when you get a good source.

kam is rather correct too. most PC speakers are just pure shit.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
My creative 5.1 sounds fine on games to me.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
allisvoid
what is tfc?

sound card is one thing and speakers are another. if you are running Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System with on board audio... it may sound bad ass but even more bad asser with a good sound card. i was running an older logitech 5.1 pretty much equivalent to that link above on a 30$ Hercules Fortissimo 3 7.1 and it sounded great... but i was running it optical out. for 30$ i think that sound card is worth it... if you pair some DECENT (not your 3$ value deal at your local computer electronics shop) speakers/headphones with it. and then again to some, audio doesn't mean much but with how cheap sound cards are now-a-days why not get a decent one? go for the 30$ one and get off that on board junk... brand name usually have better software as well, more control.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

that's sort of what I'm thinking, allisvoid. for $30 why not?

I'm still looking for a new job so I haven't got much to spend; this just seemed like a nice cheap upgrade, and tbh it's about the only thing left that I haven't done on this pc that I would like to. Also give me an excuse to get in there and do some housekeeping.

I like my speakers, they are an older Antec 2.1 set that was around $100 at the time. I also have it piped out to my full stereo (set up with my tv, for tv-out and music), which is nice quality though it doesn't support SPDIF.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I got this: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 - sound card

It's $54 but it's a great card and it's still modern and supported (to my knowledge). It's not dirt cheap, but it's a good card and cheap enough.

I picked it up right from their warehouse with a discount due to the fact that they had the item advertised wrong before.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #18
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
i bought that same card for my comp...and YES it does sound better than the integrated...i say get it...its really nice for 30 bucks....

for another 30 dollars you can get these cheap speakers that sound really good with that card...

http://directron.com/gmax2100.html
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #19
Jinx
disgruntled mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GambiT
i bought that same card for my comp...and YES it does sound better than the integrated...i say get it...its really nice for 30 bucks....
Thanks Gambit, that's what I wanted to know! I have speakers that are comparable or better than those, so I should be in good shape.

Thanks much, I'll repost once I have it installed... *runs off to MicroCenter*

[edit] Oh yeah, my friend told me the 24-bit/96kHz is DVD quality audio. So if you watch DVDs on your pc, this also would be worth it. I know even on my plain stereo setup, the 6-channel digital tracks (full dvd quality) sound way better than the 2-channel pcm (cd quality) tracks on dvds.

Last edited by Jinx; 03-06-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
[edit] Oh yeah, my friend told me the 24-bit/96kHz is DVD quality audio. So if you watch DVDs on your pc, this also would be worth it. I know even on my plain stereo setup, the 6-channel digital tracks (full dvd quality) sound way better than the 2-channel pcm (cd quality) tracks on dvds.
Lies. DVDs tend to clock in at 48/16, which is why alot of older (read: 5 years or more) receivers only do 48/16