Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
[AE] 5316 *TKZ*
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Medic - O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater Clan
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via AIM to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via MSN to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Yahoo to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Skype™ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Are you guys going to use that for the clan, or do you use vbulletin for another system. I was checking our your site today and it appears to be some other type of bulletin board software.

Scuzzy

Yea.. I purchased a vb to use at my work... but we're only gonna be using the vB advanced cms for work, thus leaving the forums not used at all.

I just need to figure out how to seperate the forums from vBa, so I can put a different skin on the forums w/out it effecting the vba skins... then i have to go into vba, and remove all links to the forums, and it should be good to go. If you could assist there, that'd be great.. cuz I'm still learning vB.. im not pr0 yet.
==================================================
[AE] 5316 *TKZ* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Question for Scuzzy - how easily can Scuztools be adapted to a different game? Like, say, you wanted to use Scuztools for, oh, a Portal multiplayer game - would it work out?

As I understand it Scuztools runs using Sourcemod, and Sourcemod can run on basically any Source engine game. Correct me where I am almost certainly wrong, please.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
List of bulletin board software from best to worst:

vBulletin - Costs $160 for licensing, or you can pirate it.
phpBB - FREE, almost on the same level of functionality as vB, plus way more of a community following which means you don't have to fork over extra cash to have someone make you a cool template/style.
Invision Powerboards - Also a good forum system, but just doesn't cut it compared to it's counter parts.
Everything else = sucks.

If you need help installing any of these, let me know.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #24
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
Yea.. I purchased a vb to use at my work... but we're only gonna be using the vB advanced cms for work, thus leaving the forums not used at all.

I just need to figure out how to seperate the forums from vBa, so I can put a different skin on the forums w/out it effecting the vba skins... then i have to go into vba, and remove all links to the forums, and it should be good to go. If you could assist there, that'd be great.. cuz I'm still learning vB.. im not pr0 yet.
Are they going to be on the same domain? VBulletin has a third party company that searches out VBulletin licenses and they'll nail you if they're on different domains. Adding a different style should do what you want to do, which would be a completely different skin. The tricky part would be keeping people from work from choosing that skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Question for Scuzzy - how easily can Scuztools be adapted to a different game? Like, say, you wanted to use Scuztools for, oh, a Portal multiplayer game - would it work out?
Yes, most of the features will work with any SourceMod supported game. The only hitch would be Troublemaker Tagging. For instance, Red and Blue teams are switched from TF2 and FF, I need to code for them separately. If other games wanted trouble maker tagging I'd have to code for that game, but it would not be difficult.

ScuzTools is primarily a tracking system designed to separate "good" players from "bad" players. For bad players it's obvious, determine who's been a problem over time, ie:

http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/st_p...AM_0:0:5759528
(I've coded the ability to set individual players as public, albeit privatized)

For good players the records can be used to determine who is nominated for a clan's membership, reserved slots, etc. Either way 99% of the core functions will work with any SourceMod supported game.

Scuzzy

Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #25
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
vBulletin costs? Fuck, why?

I'm mostly using SMF for my site, I've got... um... I think three boards running. Two that see any use.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #26
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
vBulletin costs? Fuck, why?

I'm mostly using SMF for my site, I've got... um... I think three boards running. Two that see any use.
The cost has a lot to do with the content management system that comes with it. Editing pages is done through templates, not adding php file after php file. It's pretty darn slick, secure, and very easy to modify. Products, like ours, can automatically be extracted and packaged for distribution, all by the Vbulletin software (including install scripts that can create db tables, etc). It's used by a large about of commercial sites and companies... it's not really a bbs type of product.

We originally ran phpBB, but we did the demo of Vbulletin (you can have one for like 48 hours from their site) and it was incredible. Well worth the money.

Scuzzy

Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #27
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Makes sense, then.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #28
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Yes, phpbb is wildly more popular. That is also why phpbb is ridden with vulnerabilities and is hit with hacks a lot. If you ever expect your board to be popular, using phpbb is a dumb move unless you have a very savvy coder on hand to close up holes and keep the thing patched.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #29
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Well it really depends. If you keep your phpBB up-to-date with revisions/updates, you lower your chances for vulnerabilities obviouly. Plus, phpBB3 is definitely more secure as far as bots go. I fucking hated dealing with the bots on the older versions. That's kinda what got me interested with vB, but I wasn't about to pay money for it. torrent ftw. Older version of vB, but it works fantastically.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #30
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Our site uses Vbulletin for the forums and out of all the forum software out there, VB is the best in my opinion.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #31
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

How many server providers allow mySQL databases on the actual game machine?

I've got a bad feeling the performance between server and webserver is going to be a roadblock to anyone without their own dedicated environment. I still have a bunch of people with dedicated machines that are interested, but those without (and using a remote db) are going to be screwed depending on the distance between web server and game server. SQL calls over the internet between the two are dog slow for us (course ours are quite a distance apart) which is why we use a local mySQL db and occasionally port data over.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #32
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Being hosted by GameServers we would have to have a remote site.