Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Pub play.

Ok, you know what? We all know the majority of OT is not the super PRO-ESPORTS player you all crave and rage for. And not everyone necessarily agrees with their play style. But that is no reason to constantly bash them and go into their server with the sole intention of being a raging asshole. They're just some average dudes who enjoy playing a casual game after their day to day.

I don't care how much you disagree with their rules. If you're going in there to just act like a little kid it makes you look like an idiot. YOU are the reason we can't get new people to play this game. Grow up and accept peoples differences.

There's a difference between playfull trolling, and being an out right dick.

There's some places in life you just shouldn't curse. Get the fuck over it babies.

/rage
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
The inherit problem with O-T server is they are not user friendly. They can have as much statistical information as they can to give people access to more than just what the game offers, and still be a shittily run server. But maybe that's just because I have a difference of opinion on how a server should be run. With that said, I don't agree with their rules, therefore I do not play in their server. Simple as that.

"There's some places in life you just shouldn't curse. Get the fuck over it babies."

I guess this isn't one of those places? People who censor other people are in it for the power, the control over other people. I've had many a discussion with what's his face, the leader of O-T, about censorship and he is devout in his belief that using words that are considered to be profane are the debil and need not ever be spoken, regardless of it being ingrained into most people's vocabulary.

Without words, what are we but mammals walking this planet? Without speech, we aren't human. What sets us apart from other species is our ability to understand and comprehend what is being spoken or written, or typed or whatever media. There is a big difference between yelling, "GOD FUCKING DAMNIT," and "YOU ARE A FAGGOT."

Context is the key difference. That's the reason I don't like O-T. They take a more preemptive approach of weeding out people who may use profanity to belittle another person, whilst disallowing people to use it in a context that is not against another person. I am of the belief that if you are a server owner, it is your obligation to weed out the assholes, the douchers, the griefers, the wankers, from the server, regardless of the language they use.

Another example is saying What's up nigga! See, that is not a racist comment. It is a greeting. Saying, quit acting like a nigger, now that is clearly racist and for whatever reason, the small minded folks over at O-T don't seem to grasp that concept.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I curse like a sailor. But I completely respect someones desire for a curse free zone. I don't care what your motives are behind it. Some people don't like cursing. Wether through beliefs or just preference. Both are acceptable. It's not the end of the world.

About the server itself. It lags every once in a while. But it's a server. And a server is a server. They aren't doing anything game breaking.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
OT pays for their server, so they are allowed to govern it as they see fit. Don't like it? Don't play there, but you don't exactly have a ton of options left.

I approve of FDA Approved.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Unless theres someone on another server than OT then i dont play at all. I don't play pickups and I was verbally threatened to be banned from OT from going in the skybox on openfire. I will not play there now, i banned myself thanks.

Their rules are beyond educated comprehension.

Unfortunately very few people play pub so imo that is the main reason why FF isnt growing it's player base.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Do i have to rent another server?
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

There are servers Riceface, what im saying is that when you fancy a game, hit refresh and see that the only people playing are on a certain server, then what i do is move on and play a different game. I'm sure im not the only one.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

You were threatened to be banned for an exploit? That's what "chillin in the skybox" sounds like to me.

And I honestly don't see what's so bad about their anti profanity rules.

Is there some part of the picture I'm missing here?

EDIT: Also this thread was directed at people who go to OT just to be a debbie downer. You don't play on OT at all so it's fine.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 02-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

I would hardly call it an exploit, there's a specifically designed route to get there, not by exploting anything.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Killed by a sniper outside spawn? Naw man, it's cool, that's what snipers are for. All the sniper are buttbuddies (by which I mean they suck the admins' cocks), so they get free passes.

Kill a sniper outside his spawn? OMG OMG OMG SPAWN CAMPING BAN THIS GUY NO FUN ALLOWED SNIPERS ONLY FINAL AARDVARK

Right, right, you're bloody well right. You know your bloody right to say.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Raynian
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
You were threatened to be banned for an exploit? That's what "chillin in the skybox" sounds like to me.

And I honestly don't see what's so bad about their anti profanity rules.

Is there some part of the picture I'm missing here?

EDIT: Also this thread was directed at people who go to OT just to be a debbie downer. You don't play on OT at all so it's fine.
double post because oh my god is this guy serious or is he just clinically retarded.

OH NO ABUSING AN EXPLOIT THAT DOESN'T AFFECT ANYONE ELSE

NO FUN ALLOWED

MAP VOTE STARTED AARDVARK OR GTFO
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves

Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Raynian
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I curse like a sailor. But I completely respect someones desire for a curse free zone. I don't care what your motives are behind it. Some people don't like cursing. Wether through beliefs or just preference. Both are acceptable. It's not the end of the world.

About the server itself. It lags every once in a while. But it's a server. And a server is a server. They aren't doing anything game breaking.
Triple post because apparently editing the server files to change classes' abilities and specs isn't "game breaking"

holy shit 9/10 would get trolled again

Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Dr. eXpl0si0n
exploder of things

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
There are servers Riceface, what im saying is that when you fancy a game, hit refresh and see that the only people playing are on a certain server, then what i do is move on and play a different game. I'm sure im not the only one.
Completely agreed. I also think that they should dial it down a notch.... A lifetime ban for spaming a respawn? Fo real?
Dr. eXpl0si0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Killed by a sniper outside spawn? Naw man, it's cool, that's what snipers are for. All the sniper are buttbuddies (by which I mean they suck the admins' cocks), so they get free passes.

Kill a sniper outside his spawn? OMG OMG OMG SPAWN CAMPING BAN THIS GUY NO FUN ALLOWED SNIPERS ONLY FINAL AARDVARK

Right, right, you're bloody well right. You know your bloody right to say.
Killed by a sniper INSIDE his spawn? Throw grenade... ZOMG QUIT SPAMMING SPAWN.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
How about when I go to OT, and don't say anything, and get insulted for being a pickup player?

I love pubs, I love pickups. They are both completely different play styles. You act like only the pickup players insult the pub players; pub players insult pickup players too.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
How about when I go to OT, and don't say anything, and get insulted for being a pickup player?

I love pubs, I love pickups. They are both completely different play styles. You act like only the pickup players insult the pub players; pub players insult pickup players too.
Sad, but true. I've heard various people say "elitist" and other random shit as you, and others come, and go. Too many ands ><

Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Trailer
[Caleb]
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Scout, D demo and Engy
Gametype: Attack / Defend
Affiliations: -nZ [LAW] *TG* M|M TRISPIRAL (Back in the TFC days)
Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
I frequent O-T often but I still don't agree with the strict rules they have.

My problem with the swear filter is it's so strict you cant even say words that aren't considered profanity, and the fact that like over 90% of this community are grown men, it doesn't make much sense. Examples: Sexy, Raccoon.

They also have ridiculous name rules. For instance, you can't join with the name <3 because it is too short. You cant join with the name <3 <3 <3 because it is considered unreadable.

Although I don't agree with the rules, this is the only populated server, so i must deal with never bringing up raccoons or sexiness in a conversation there.
You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I play there because it is usually the only populated server outside of a pickup game if I'm not in the mood to spectate and sip some coffee.

The people there seem nice enough, but I agree with the bulk of what has been said here: some of their rules I simply don't agree with. Server owner sets the rules and I respect that, so I do my best to follow the OT rules when I play there, though for me personally there is a difference between cussing out of frustration or banter and hate speech.

I was "slain" last night for saying that the xpress map was pimpin'. I help run an Assault Cube server where hate speech is an instant kick and a return-and-repeat is a ban, but raccoon? Sexy? Pimp? o.O

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 02-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I was "slain" last night for saying that the xpress map was pimpin'. I help run an Assault Cube server where hate speech is an instant kick and a return-and-repeat is a ban, but raccoon? Sexy? Pimp? o.O
I don't agree with sexy and pimp being not allowed, but raccoon is blocked because it has "coon" in it, which is apparentally a racist term to white people? tbh I have never heard it.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
I don't agree with sexy and pimp being not allowed, but raccoon is blocked because it has "coon" in it, which is apparentally a racist term to white people? tbh I have never heard it.
Apparently it is... per urbandictionary.com

1. coon
Insulting term for a black person
I went to the R&B disco at DeNiro's last night and I was the only white person in there. It was full of coons.

2. Coon
An insulting name for a black person. Similar to 'Nigger'.
Black man: "What's up homie?"
White man: "Can't you coons talk proper English?"
Black man: *Shoots White Man*