Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
o_mr.saturn

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Class restrictions...

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere, but will they still be included in FF?
o_mr.saturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
o_shaolin

I don't think so - it's up to the server admin to enforce this, I can't see the developement team doing it.
o_shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
o_michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
I don't think so - it's up to the server admin to enforce this, I can't see the developement team doing it.
Yeh because sometims players just want to have fun :P
o_michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
o_binarylife

Actualy I think the goal is so that every class is equal enough to eliminate the need for restrictions. If such a goal is accomplished I would love to see no class restrictions myself although I'm sure there will be some server out there who restricts a class they never took the time to beat....*sigh*
(I'm not bitter..not at all)
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
o_qbaler

you have to understand that class restrictions are gonna be on servers one way or another. Many ppl dont like snipers (not me but others) so allowing unlimited snipers suck. What if you want to do offenseand your entire team is sniping... u know its happened to you, you proly just sniped with em... Then there are 1 map only servers where some classes have clear advantages, like dustbowl. A d team with 5 demos is gonna be hard to defeat.

anyway ya I agree and hope that the classes are balanced enough to make normal FF play not require restrictions.
o_qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
o_storm

It will be a cold day in hell before the mod team do this IMHO!
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
o_mr.saturn

What I ment is will server admins still be able to use commands like
cr_sniper 1
cr_HWguy 2

ect...

I was windering if those commands would still exist in this mod.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
o_storm

I dont know for sure but I would bet everything I own on them being in the game
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF will be absolutely perfectly balanced, so there will be no need for class restrictions!
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
o_mr.saturn

So you dont think 4 demomen piping the crap out of everything will be a problem? Or maybe 5 snipers on a team for well? I know the goal is to balance everything, but I think that server admins should still be able to use class restrictions if the community in question may not like having to deal with 5 snipers at a time, or want 5 demos guarding the base with pipe bombs, or maybe wont want to deal 5 HW guys sittling in the flag room.

Balance is a good idea so we can play FF right out of the box without having to worry about class restrictions, but I still think server admins should be able to control classes and such.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
o_folia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Saturn
So you dont think 4 demomen piping the crap out of everything will be a problem? Or maybe 5 snipers on a team for well? I know the goal is to balance everything, but I think that server admins should still be able to use class restrictions if the community in question may not like having to deal with 5 snipers at a time, or want 5 demos guarding the base with pipe bombs, or maybe wont want to deal 5 HW guys sittling in the flag room.

Balance is a good idea so we can play FF right out of the box without having to worry about class restrictions, but I still think server admins should be able to control classes and such.
One emp takes out pretty much all the green pipes any amount of cowardly demos can lay in a single area, 5 uber-cowardly snipers usually just give honorable ones like myself more to shoot at, and med infect (or, if you like the more direct approach, one angry demo) usually works against mucho-grande-cowardly HW-happy teams. But getting back, I agree with what most people here are saying anyways; the fact remains that not everyone wants to play the game with the same rules, which is exactly why servers have options like these to begin with.
o_folia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #12
o_strong_bad

What?!?!?
Listen, what do you mean what if a team does not want to deal with 5 snipers? That's the point of the game!!!
You have to have strategies to deal with problems like that. What, do you want a bland-non challenging game? I want drama! I want to be on the losing team. Both teams will have the ability to choose the same models, right? There really isn't a problem. Unless you're lazy and don't want to deal with an offensive strategy.
Also, in well, There are a lot of underground pipes, to get around the snipers. I don't think that's really a problem. It's part of the game, to counter those strategies
o_strong_bad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #13
o_vanquish

I wonder about the players some of you people play against. 1 extremely good sniper is bad enough on a 2fort or well server, I see no need for 5 on one team. If someone else is 'hogging' the class, tough shit.

And the pipes on well suck. They take too long to go through just to avoid a sniper, and often as not a demo will have it piped or there will be an HW sitting at the junction.
o_vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote