Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #41
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian
So?
So how many mods did you make in the last year. That's right: Zero! Things take time.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #42
o_yomamashouse

I think we can safely say that this idea sucks ass.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #43
o_darknight

But I wanna play a crap game now, instead of a good game later! :[
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #44
o_alligator

T E R R I B L E ... idea.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #45
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Mulch, you douchebag.

Oh yes. I went there. And whether or not I return, I have this to say: It was worth it.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #46
o_shortcircuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat
You still have to code the game though Barbarian...
coding's overrated these days..
o_shortcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #47
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i would post a comment here, but i'd probably be out on my ass faster than i can click reply for the content.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #48
o_ginger lord

Worst idea in the world.

Ever.

Fact.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #49
o_nezumi

Period -> "."

(P.S. Gingerlord stop eating those berries already!)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #50
o_ginger lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Period -> "."

(P.S. Gingerlord stop eating those berries already!)
I was trying to figure out what you was going on about, then looked back at my Avatar and went..."Ah"
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #51
o_tfcog

i hope they take their time to get it right, find another game to pass the time
o_tfcog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #52
o_hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
So how many mods did you make in the last year. That's right: Zero! Things take time.
and things that take time turn out great, but you should be careful to not work yourself into a situation like Hostile Intent did for Half Life 1, only being released a short while before Half-Life 2 was being released, when the graphics looked so outdated that it made playing a lot less enjoyable. There are always going to be problems in developing a mod and you guys are saints for even undertaking it, especially with a project that is so dear to the fans, and your, hearts but if it's not perfect at first, if you don't have the knock-you-on-your-ass original maps and amazing models that blow people's hair back in the first release, that's fine. You might alienate some people from the get if you release too early, but those people will come back and releasing late is a death sentence for any mod, even one as amazing as this one looks to be. The only question that should determine release is "is it TFC fun", not, "when it's done" because no mod is ever really done.

This mod does seem to be moving at an extraordinary pace. Having been involved in the HI community since 2000 and watching that ~4 year marathon that was its development cycle you learn how to be patient for a game like this. And having playtested that a year and a half before release when it certainly would've been playable and watching the team spin its wheels and not get a release out, I'd be absolutely gutted to see a mod like this go through what HI went through.
o_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #53
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
HL2 came out in Nov 2004, we've still got a long ways to go before we even hit the 2 year mark. These guys bust their balls to get shit done and get it done good I can imagine they want this game out as bad as we do, there won't be any fucking around when release time comes.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 AM   #54
o_vertical

I'm sorry, but that was one of the funniest things I've seen on these forums... after 1 year (over one year really) you reply with

So?

(and yes I get why you really posted that, and that it wasn't in reply to the previous post, but still you gotta admit at first glance it looks that way and it's pretty damn funny lol)

However, I also think it's funny that you come back a year later to see if anyone has changed thier minds (Thats my guess at why you bothered posting... no?) yet you should have known that the verdict would be the same as the mod has still yet to be released meaning that your idea was still not followed. And I have to agree with everyone else that has replied in this topic and reply in a simular fashion...
I probably wouldn't even bother playing the mod. (and if I did would likely dislike it so much that i'd quit quickly after starting, and when you barely play a game after it's release, you often forget about it completely and don't check for updates, at least for a long time... in such case you still wait for the good version as you would have done in the first place)

Last edited by o_vertical; 04-17-2006 at 03:51 AM.
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #55
o_dammage

just release those damn SVN logs <3 (hehe)
It will be just like playing a demo - in a lot of terms limited, but you still know what it will be :P

Seriously, with so many eyes turned directly onto FF (a small and not full enumeration here: TFC community, Q3F/ETF community, CTF players, gaming press, Gabe "Fat *ss" Newell, leagues etc pp) sending an unplayable release into the wild is a bad idea.

It will lead to an attidute "yet another mod bites into the dust". The first impression rules over if you will talk to a person or not, if you talked, then you then get the real impression of a person. Same for everything else.

Remember Black and White where magazines were so blinded that they gave overrated marks to B&W. Same could happen to FF, but the other way around if the release is brain dead.

Take a recent example: Quake4. Very similar - it had the hype, it had the hope, everyone prayed at its release. In the end the hype catched me, I played it 2 days and got disappointed. It won't bother me and surely lots of other fellow quakers anymore. People returned to q3, warsow, quakeworld and so on.

Same will happen to FF on such a release. (take the current content and send it into the wild)

FF has much to win, but also a lot to lose. The hope is that the devs don't end up in a development deadlock trying to make it perfect with the first release and won't prelease it too early (i doubt that)

Last edited by o_dammage; 04-17-2006 at 10:08 PM.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #56
o_zero

I think the OP has a valid point and it's not necessarily "bad mod now, good mod later." The majority of successful mods have been released in stages and improved upon while still being played by the public.

For example, TF, Counter-Strike, Dystopia, and Garry's Mod were all developed incrementally and started with quick, broad strokes at getting the right type of gameplay/concept working and playable, and then building a community while refining the rest of the game. This process is best for the revolutionary mods that originate as broad ideas for a new style of gameplay and manifest themselves as playable demonstrations that are refined into ground-breaking games.

Fotress Forever, which is sort of homage to a revolutionary mod, is probably best suited to a process that is focused on refinement rather than innovation. The same can be said of many mods that are (and probably will still be) in private/alpha stages as the Source engine nears the two-year mark.

Regarding coding being the most time consuming part of the mod: that hasn't been my experience at all. I would have to say that I definately think that asset-creation takes the majority of the time (especially refining/compiling maps and animation).

Last edited by o_zero; 04-18-2006 at 06:56 AM.
o_zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #57
o_ghost

I agree. A mod with an existing community needs a somewhat polished first release since there is already a playerbase that has expectations on how the mod should be.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #58
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

The main problem with making FF is just the sheer amount of stuff it has.

10 player models and classes each with their own skills, four teams, 22 weapons, lots of grens, buildables, status effects, different gameplay modes etc etc etc.

Most new mods have a handful of character models, a few weapons for each and some gameplay layered on the top. Obviously there are exceptions, but FF has been a fairly monstrous undertaking. We (Mirv and I) were talking last night about just how much stuff the team has had to do.

The bad news is that we've got a raft of bugs to fix at the moment; the good news is that the training stuff (the last major undertaking) is underway and we have endgame in sight!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #59
o_ghost

It's interesting to see how TF has evolved over the years. Back in quake all the classes used the same model with different skins. Most of the weapons were used from quake. There wasn't nearly as much stuff to create. I guess the more advanced video games get the more stuff you have to do.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #60
o_qui

Quote:
The bad news is that we've got a raft of bugs to fix at the moment; the good news is that the training stuff (the last major undertaking) is underway and we have endgame in sight!
Release date plz

Im gonna take a stab at july 5th, my birthday baby.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote