Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #61
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
yeah thats the only bummer of The Hidden mod now

there's usually 1-2 servers with people playing and assholes like to revert their direct x level down so they can see The Hidden clear as day

I'm not sure which directx version it is (maybe 7 like someone else said) but maybe it's possible to program FF so that you have to have a directx 8 card or higher?

I mean really, it's not fair people with shitty computers get to play a mod and essentially cheat. Or do like The Hidden team is doing, if you're card is only capable of dx7 it will make the Hidden completely invisible, it's kinda unfair but they said it was the only other option to prevent assholes from cheating.
Hidden Beta-5 will fix this problem and require the higher DX. The Old Timers Clan and the Knights servers, along with many other, have a hack/TK ban list that we share to try and keep the DX people at bay. If you've ever visited the Hidden-Source server admin forum you'd see there are those of us that try and keep the game fun. I'm sure there will be similar servers with Fortress Forever.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #62
GhOsT

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
The only problem with partial visibility is that the good player will always see it. A spy trying to get across the yard or past a narrow hallway is going to suffer if he has to do it at a crawl in order not to attract the enemy. I think the best way to go about it is to allow the spy to be invisible up to a certain point. Say 20 yards and farther. But within 20 yards, you see him partially cloaked when he runs.

Kinda like how WoW does stealth.
You'd be surpised at how difficult it can be to see a cloaked spy, especially in darkish areas. I was able to sneak into the flagroom of SD2 and watch what the defenders were doing in there without them seeing me.

Cloaking is not the be all end all ability. You can't just slap that on and think you are going to be able to waltz around the base. Howerver, if you have another guy with you distracting the defender it becomes much easier to get by since the defender's attention is on the guy he can actually see and is fighting against.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #63
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i wonder if you could get a performance bonus from making distant cloaked spies completely invisible?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #64
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i wonder if you could get a performance bonus from making distant cloaked spies completely invisible?
On that note, I wonder if certain people are going to learn how to monitor their FPS so well that while watching an otherwise placid scene (or even when there are a few others in their FOV) they will be able to tell a Spy is nearby from a 4-5 FPS drop...

In fact, I'm almost sure this will happen
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #65
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Though I'm not sure monitoring your fps is easier than just looking for the Spy
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #66
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Though I'm not sure monitoring your fps is easier than just looking for the Spy
Yeah but this is Team Fortress...people are adamant at finding every tweak exploit and (perceived) advantage they can.

I'm sure some will become quite adept at FPS monitoring while spy scanning (sadly enough)
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #67
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
Yeah but this is Team Fortress...people are adamant at finding every tweak exploit and (perceived) advantage they can.

I'm sure some will become quite adept at FPS monitoring while spy scanning (sadly enough)
Then they will proclaim that monitoring their FPS is a "skill" that must be included in any future games or else the devs would just be "dumbing down the game."

Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #68
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Hidden Beta-5 will fix this problem and require the higher DX.
I am hoping FF goes the same path and makes it so this exploit is completely useless or they ban DX7 and below. (Besides, I do not even think you could get FF to run very well on a DX7 card.)

I am pretty sure there was talk of making sure this will not be an issue one way or the other on release. Obviously they could not ban DX8 cards because that would cut out the budget gamers, but they would find a nice workaround where DX8 cards and lower do not get much of an advantage. It is on the to-do list AFAIK.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #69
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
What's funny is hidden had a public release without doing that.. heh.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #70
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Then they will proclaim that monitoring their FPS is a "skill" that must be included in any future games or else the devs would just be "dumbing down the game."
LOL, nice one, too fuckin true.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #71
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
My only worry is that excellent players will always see the spy. Sure there can be suprising moments where you can get past the entire defensive line, but most of the time you have to squeeze through hallways, or avoid open areas to do so. After seeing pictures of the cloak I'm doubtful it will be good enough to even stop snipers, let alone a soldier watching an entrance.

The point for the spy, is that while cloak shouldn't be an end all ability, it really only has a one time use when your facing defense. To get behind the enemy, if they spot you before hand, your use is extremely limited.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #72
Fjorn

If you want to see how well an invisible spy can empty a server, take a look at freefall4

full server, map gets changed to that...

spies go invisible and empty the server, or the servers banned spies on that map
Fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #73
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
I may or may not fall into the 'excellent player' category but one thing I do know is in TFC I was extremely adept at identifying spies, and that all carries over to FF, cept I do have trouble seeing cloaked spies when I'm engaged with other enemies.

It definitely works right now vs excellent players, and the cool part is we can change the visibility in general, as well as how much more visible the spy is when moving while cloaked vs standing still with variables to tweak the whole thing on the fly from the console. So yeah.. It's pretty simple to make changes as necessary to this, and considerable time has already been put into making these tweaks to get it 'just right'.

Last edited by Dospac; 04-19-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #74
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
My only worry is that excellent players will always see the spy. Sure there can be suprising moments where you can get past the entire defensive line, but most of the time you have to squeeze through hallways, or avoid open areas to do so. After seeing pictures of the cloak I'm doubtful it will be good enough to even stop snipers, let alone a soldier watching an entrance.
Keep in mind, cloak is a replacement for feign.

Could you fuckin' feign your way past the defense? Cloak is a huge step up, but you seem to be expecting entirely too much.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #75
phenom

Send a message via AIM to phenom
I'd rather have cloak. I tend to shoot bodies to spycheck.
phenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #76
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Yeah, cloak is better, imo think about it are you either safe feigned or cloaked during a huge battle?
wait. That's stupid, you'd die anyways....hm

Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #77
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
can I also add that spychecks afaik will be a thing of the past in FF. you'll have to acually use your intuition to tell who's a spy (unless you see a cloaked one ofc)

Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #78
GhOsT

There will always be some form of spychecking. My clan years ago used to when passing a teammate on D fire their weapon to prove they were not a spy. The same tactic would work here.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #79
paranoidkirb

Class/Position: O/D Pyro
Gametype: Invade and Defend
Send a message via AIM to paranoidkirb Send a message via MSN to paranoidkirb Send a message via Yahoo to paranoidkirb Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidkirb
bind x "say_team Spy check! Change your weapon or shoot at a wall."
Or something to that effect should suffice.
paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #80
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Changing weapon no longer works as a spycheck.