Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Soldering question.

Alright, so, a friend and I began to get my mame cabinet up and running last night. We got the computer mounted inside the cab, and hooked up a temporary monitor (not the monitor intended for the final , it's just to test for the time being), and I got sound up and running this morning. Therefore, I figure that the next logical step would be to get everything driven through the cabinet's joystick controls.

I was planning to do this by soldering the wires from the cabinet's controls to the PCB of a Logitech Precision pad:

Each of the buttons on my cabinet has a ground wire daisy chained between them, and a signal wire for each. I figured that I could strip all the controls of their wires, then solder a ground and a signal from each of the cabinet controls to one of the contact points on the PCB.

I've pretty much never done something like this before, so my questionis basically whether or not this will work. If not, what's a better way of going about it? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Dunno if this will help, but here is the instructions for a mame cabinet put together by MaximumPC:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...ig_old_pc_pics

Last edited by SomeOldGuy; 01-25-2010 at 12:07 PM.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I am assuming this approach is used to translate the cabinet controls into something that can be mapped via the PC Controllers software via usb?

So each switch like "jump" will be wired to the coresponding button on the PC controller and then mapped somehow through a usb port so that mame can map "jump" to each game.

I think it will definitely work. But a keyboard encoder would be easier. Especially if you don't have good soldiering tools. If you already bought the controller go for it because an encoder may be about the same price. If you burn up the PC controller PCB get a keyboard encoder. Very flexible device.

Google Links
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 01-25-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added link
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
cjeshjoir™
1-800-UNAGIPOWA

Gametype: AvD, Spirit of TFC
Affiliations: ™.AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to cjeshjoir™ Send a message via Skype™ to cjeshjoir™
Your approach is ghetto as hell, but it will work if you don't suck... but stray kittens suggestion is better.

" In my opinion the testing team isn't really made for or of public players, it's made for competative players... " ¹ -Scuzzy (post# 462713)
cjeshjoir™ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
This is software is pretty bad ass:

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

The i-pac board is 40 bucks though. There are a couple on ebay...

keyboard encoder

The ps2 ones are the cheapest. Here is one for USB
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 01-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote