Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #61
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yes Lost, we already have two in place for our most vulnerable groups. Medicare and Medicaid. Both are failing, denying care and overbudgeted already, so how will a national one hold out?
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #62
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber View Post
Yes Lost, we already have two in place for our most vulnerable groups. Medicare and Medicaid. Both are failing, denying care and overbudgeted already, so how will a national one hold out?
Those aren't insurance subsidiaries like Blue Cross and the like where you can opt in and are run for profit. Run the government operations like a business, take it off the taxpayers and put it where it can actually fund itself. Capitalism ftw yeh?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #63
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Well, Lost, that might work if the government didn't make the rules and the government couldn't print money.

In other words, if the government didn't have regulatory control it would be a fine competitor. Too bad it can regulate the industry until it becomes the winner, printing money and taxing to fill any deficits while the other insurance companies have to play by the rules that the government itself doesn't have to follow.

To give another analogy of where the government can behave unfairly:

The Toyota acceleration problems have been going on for a while now. Shortly after the government buys GM, the issue, which existed before and wasn't in the spotlight, becomes priority #1.

GM's biggest competitior? Toyota.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 03-29-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #64
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Credge said it.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #65
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
that might work if the government didn't make the rules and the government couldn't print money.
Yah, thats damned sure true. And if something was put in place to try and limit adjustment of coverages, premiums and whatever else, they'd just make another law to circumvent whatever wasn't working for them at the time.

While some government control is a good thing, too much of anything causes cancer.

You are a pirate!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #66
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
Well, Lost, that might work if the government didn't make the rules and the government couldn't print money.

In other words, if the government didn't have regulatory control it would be a fine competitor. Too bad it can regulate the industry until it becomes the winner, printing money and taxing to fill any deficits while the other insurance companies have to play by the rules that the government itself doesn't have to follow.

To give another analogy of where the government can behave unfairly:

The Toyota acceleration problems have been going on for a while now. Shortly after the government buys GM, the issue, which existed before and wasn't in the spotlight, becomes priority #1.

GM's biggest competitior? Toyota.
They are also doing it in the banking business. They want to heavily control a few banks and remove state control and shift it to the FDIC/OCC hybrid. They also want to remove the distinction between a federal regulated institution and state regulated institution and merge them into a single federally regulated system with less oversight. It's too much trouble to keep track of all these individual independent community based banks. So they are systematically destroying private community banks across America. Falsely inflating their risk profiles through political speak and issuing conflicting orders that purposely cause failures. While at the same time laying off the banks they bailed out.

That is not paranoia that is reality. They cause banks to fail. Speaking of paranoia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse View Post
What are they going to do? Is this more paranoia? Do you envision some authoritarian regime that refuses treatment to political dissenters and free thinkers? They are not given the liberty to decide whether or not one person gets treatment over the other, they are bookkeepers and policy makers.

For Christ's sake you people are almost as bad as the "911 was a setup" idiots.
History is a great teacher and yes, the 911 was a setup people are tin hat paranoid. But really, pick a government program, lets discuss it. Iraq war? National Debt? Anything.

Free thinkers are the one's questioning this decision. Independence vs. subjugates of the federal state, that critical borderline between most political views. If that is paranoia, count me in. If it's idiocy to reject subjugation count me in as well. And please stop ignoring health-care reform vs. THIS bill and THIS direction. Along with ignoring federal control vs state powers. Its very convenient to do that and assume everyone is crazy.

There are also other decisions made such as the take over of GM and those banking entities that fan that paranoia. Not to mention history. This thing may work but I seriously have my doubts. Do I think dissenters will be denied health care? lol. What I don't want is elections decided on who's going to raise health care payout this election year. That's not so paranoid. But I believe the more power you give an entity the more corrupt it will become. Especially if some people set in those seats of power for decades. The dudes had it right back in the day.... BALANCE of power through a republic. Not from the top down.

As for authoritarian regimes? Is that was you think a health care insurance company is? An authoritarian regime that at best makes probably 2 percent profit. At least mine does. How authoritarian is it to force every citizen to take a program controlled by congress? In which ultimately politics will always sway logic and then be enforced by the IRS? The citizen gestapo of the US Government.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 03-29-2010 at 04:02 PM.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #67
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Its not the gestapo until people start disappearing and the Jews are murdered for being Jews. The country isn't in such a sad state that we'll ignore state condoned mass murder, yet.

You are a pirate!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #68
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

civilians with police powers. That is gestapo. It's the "yet" part that makes me nervous when you have a generation that thinks the government is their caretaker. Mass murder isn't ok yet but state condoned mass imprisonment is. Try stop paying your taxes or not reporting correctly and see what that IRS does.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 03-29-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #69
YomMamasHouse

Quote:
As for authoritarian regimes? Is that was you think a health care insurance company is? An authoritarian regime that at best makes probably 2 percent profit. At least mine does. How authoritarian is it to force every citizen to take a program controlled by congress? In which ultimately politics will always sway logic and then be enforced by the IRS? The citizen gestapo of the US Government.
I don't try and make a political analogy for everything, not every decision is a choice between authoritarian nazi regimes and rightful democratic politics. This healthcare bill has nothing to do with that, Glenn Beck just likes to tell people that so their thought processes will be directed through the regions of their brain that govern emotions instead of being processed logically.

I don't think the healthcare companies are regimes, they are a business (no political characteristics whatsoever), and while a free market is critical to a free country, something should not be mixed in with peoples desire to make money, vital healthcare is one of them.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #70
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Where did Glen Beck come into the conversation?

I would say this entire health care BILL is driven by emotion vs. logic. Glenn Beck can play on emotions and get rating, Obama does it and we have laws. And it's not so far fetched to say we are slowly creating an authoritarian society. It's already here.

Last edited by stray kitten; 04-05-2010 at 02:47 PM.