Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Dear FF,

Dear Fortress Forever Community,

Please stop bitching that the only thing public players can do is 'deathmatch'. When you create an entire game that requires a giant skill requirement just to play on a basic competitive level, then you completely alienate new players. When a beginner is unable to bunnyhop across the yard fast enough to avoid the inevitable sniper fire, then what else can he do beside play in-base deathmatch-defense? When a beginner is unable to air-strafe and control a concussion jump, then how will he ever be able to bypass the defenders to get to the flag? What are objectives if you can't reach them? What is organized play if you have to have immediate skill to experience it?

This is the reason Fortress Forever sucks for the beginner. There's no compensation, no integration, nothing remains except deathmatching when the beginner realizes he lacks the minimum skill requirements to play the game on the same level as everyone else. When you can't bunnyhop, you get outrun. When you can't air-shot, people just fly past you. When you can't keep your sentry gun up, you're unable to contribute to a defensive objective. So on, and so on, and fucking so on. Deathmatching, as expected, gets old. Fortress Forever, therefore, gets old.

So, give me a break. Fortress Forever doesn't fail because 'it's a mod, man.' Garry's mod was a mod. Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, too, were mods. They gathered enough support to go on to be retail games, because there was at-least some level of beginner integration. These games had learning curves, but they were fun to travel across. Garry's mod is extremely overwhelming when you first start experimenting, but the learning process is fun and amusing. It's encouraging. What's there to Fortress Forever? Congratulations, you've learned how to prime grenades, now there's only a dozen other mechanics that give everyone else an advantage over you that are not not fun to learn and/or are counter-intuitive to learn (eg bunny-hop, strafe-jump, conc-aim, etc).

Just a friendly reminder from, as you would call me: "Fortress Forever's #1 Troll"
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, Mass
Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Did this thread really need to be created? Sorry Bri :/
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Fortress Forever that is "newb" friendly = TF2 (and no one wants that)

Yes, you are FF's #1 troll.

You need to go into Gary's Mod, build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Everyone is aware of YOUR opinion. STFU and stop trying to "bully" everyone into seeing things your way.
Just because you say so doesn't make it so.
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
CHURCHMOUTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
i feel the exact same way about counterstrike 1.6 and its the number 1 multiplayer game on the net
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNL View Post
Did this thread really need to be created? Sorry Bri :/
Who knows?

Quote:
Fortress Forever that is "newb" friendly = TF2 (and no one wants that)
Ha! ha! Haaa~ No. Making the game more accessible to beginners doesn't turn it into Team Fortress 2. Take your fallacious slippery slope argument elsewhere. What's with everyone making this claim? Is it a way to scare people into disagreeing with making the game more accessible? No wonder this game is going downhill. No one has any imaginative ability? No one can think for themselves? Is it nothing but appeals to tradition and slippery slopes all the way down?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
TFC was originally a{HL} mod as well. It had all of the mechanix that it currently has(except teleporters), and a high learning curve. Those who could BHop, did. Those who knew the tricks you could do(concing, rjumps, air-straif, etc) could own those who didn't.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
What's with everyone making this claim?
Perhaps because there is more truth to it than you are willing to admit and because anyone elses opinion can't possibly be as valid as yours right?
Your ego won't let you admit that other opinions are just as important as yours.
Your "opinions" while interesting don't suit my palette at all sir so, please insert them where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm not sure if any of the ORIGINAL dev team are still around?
If they are perhaps the can confirm my theory?

My opinion of what the original FF devs were trying to do was a modern gfx engine version of TFC. A tribute to TFC if you like. If my interpretation of that mandate is true then this is what the current devs should be focusing on. Making FF more TFC like. (unless the current devs have shifted focus. That would invalidate my theory)

Some changes were made to overcome issues.
Some changes were made to increase class usefulness.
Some changes were made to increase fun.
NO changes should be made to "dumb down".
"Dumbing" down is a backward step. How many backward steps are you willing to take for the sake of player numbers?

In the end devs do as you will and is your right to do. Just don't let Bridget "brow beat" you into anything "stupid".
If you were to implement his suggestions and they were to fail, Bridget would just fade into the either leaving you the devs to clean up the mess or just abandon the whole mod.

Bridget. If your so "gung-ho" about your ideas then why don't you "put your money where your mouth is" and learn the programming skills necessary to be a part of the dev team.
If not then your only "blowing hot air".
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
You need to go into Gary's Mod, build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
Perhaps because there is more truth to it than you are willing to admit and because anyone elses opinion can't possibly be as valid as yours right?
Your ego won't let you admit that other opinions are just as important as yours.
Your "opinions" while interesting don't suit my palette at all sir so, please insert them where the sun doesn't shine.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I think my opinions are better than others. Otherwise, they wouldn't be my opinions, now would that? (LOLOGIC) I don't consider the opinions of people who can lie through their teeth against the fact that Fortress Forever is hard for beginners to integrate into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
My opinion of what the original FF devs were trying to do was a modern gfx engine version of TFC. A tribute to TFC if you like. If my interpretation of that mandate is true then this is what the current devs should be focusing on. Making FF more TFC like. (unless the current devs have shifted focus. That would invalidate my theory)
I think multiple devs have stated that they want to create a Team Fortress game not a Team Fortress Classic game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
NO changes should be made to "dumb down".
"Dumbing" down is a backward step. How many backward steps are you willing to take for the sake of player numbers?
Here we go with the slippery slope argument and the fallacious assumption that making the game more accessible for new players will somehow dumb it down for everyone else. Here we fucking go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
Bridget. If your so "gung-ho" about your ideas then why don't you "put your money where your mouth is" and learn the programming skills necessary to be a part of the dev team.
If not then your only "blowing hot air".
Does not compute. I hope you're not making the argument here that until I have experienced x, I can not express an opinion on x? Have you been murdered, Leo? Then how can you possibly conclude murder is immoral? Yeah, see how badly your logic falls apart in another context? Oh lawd.

Last edited by Bridget; 09-30-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: dem auxiliary verbz, also wrong wording
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
angrypyro
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Dear Fortress Forever Community,

Please stop bitching that the only thing public players can do is 'deathmatch'. When you create an entire game that requires a giant skill requirement just to play on a basic competitive level, then you completely alienate new players. When a beginner is unable to bunnyhop across the yard fast enough to avoid the inevitable sniper fire, then what else can he do beside play in-base deathmatch-defense? When a beginner is unable to air-strafe and control a concussion jump, then how will he ever be able to bypass the defenders to get to the flag? What are objectives if you can't reach them? What is organized play if you have to have immediate skill to experience it?
I don't think that the reason people deathmatch is because the game is too hard. In fact, i think that most of the mechanics are pretty easy (you can bunnyhop without having to keep pressing the space bar, concjumping is pretty much just waiting till the timer runs out and jumping, etc). If you look up the game Gunz, its a game with a crazy learning curve due to all the glitches and movement techniques in it but it is still pretty popular whereas it would have probably died without them.
The reason is that killing people is fun and public players aren't competing so there's no real incentive for capping flags. Also since this game has instant spawn, killing people doesn't really help to cap the flag.
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Does not compute. I hope you're not making the argument here that until I have experienced x, I can not express an opinion on x? Have you been murdered, Leo? Then how can you possibly conclude murder is immoral? Yeah, see how badly your logic falls apart in another context? Oh lawd.
No, but I have seen (first hand) the devastation that murder leaves behind.
See how bad your logic is. (I doubt you will because you are ignorant)

Your "ideas" are not best for everyone. <------- TRUTH RIGHT HERE.

Last edited by Ventry(Leo Wainker); 09-30-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #12
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
You can bunnyhop without having to keep pressing the space bar
No, that would just be jumping while moving forward. Bunny-hopping, considering it is no longer an exceptional form of transportation and is now the de facto standard means of moving, should be simplified. Hold jump and forward and steer with the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
concjumping is pretty much just waiting till the timer runs out and jumping, etc)
Sure, but if you want to control it, it's counter-intuitive. You instinctively try to turn the mouse and steer your character, but then are taught you have to hold a strafe key too? Sure, doesn't seem difficult when you know how to concussion jump, but it's overwhelming for a beginner. Same thing as above, you should be able to steer your character in the air simply using the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
The reason is that killing people is fun and public players aren't competing so there's no real incentive for capping flags. Also since this game has instant spawn, killing people doesn't really help to cap the flag.
Those are definitely some of the reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
No, but I have seen (first hand) the devastation that murder leaves behind.
Exactly, moron, which is why your logic fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Your "ideas" are not best for everyone. <------- TRUTH RIGHT HERE.
Admittedly, but whose are?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #13
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Exactly, moron, which is why your logic fails.
Moron eh?
You need to get some sleep. asshat.
My original suggestion to get some programming skillz and contribute was just that.... a SUGGESTION.
It would give you a better platform to implement your ideas.
However, seeing as you wont do that then my original assessment stands: Your just blowing hot air. fucktard.
Your not part of the solution your part of the problem. (in my opinion)
You will keep "stampin your feet" and "shootin of ya mouth" like a spoilt little girl till ya get your way.
By all means don't let me stop you. Assclown.
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, Mass
Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
So mach hayte in hear guiz
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #15
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Dexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
So, give me a break. Fortress Forever doesn't fail because 'it's a mod, man.' Garry's mod was a mod. Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, too, were mods. They gathered enough support to go on to be retail games, because there was at-least some level of beginner integration. These games had learning curves, but they were fun to travel across. Garry's mod is extremely overwhelming when you first start experimenting, but the learning process is fun and amusing. It's encouraging. What's there to Fortress Forever? Congratulations, you've learned how to prime grenades, now there's only a dozen other mechanics that give everyone else an advantage over you that are not not fun to learn and/or are counter-intuitive to learn (eg bunny-hop, strafe-jump, conc-aim, etc).
I just want to stop in with the "it's a mod, man" is my personal opinion to the low player count. My view stands tho, look at the player count of any MODS to come out lately, they all suck. But your points are valid. The name of the game these days is getting new players, and keeping them
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #16
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
Moron eh?
You need to get some sleep. asshat.
My original suggestion to get some programming skillz and contribute was just that.... a SUGGESTION.
It would give you a better platform to implement your ideas.
However, seeing as you wont do that then my original assessment stands: Your just blowing hot air. fucktard.
Your not part of the solution your part of the problem. (in my opinion)
You will keep "stampin your feet" and "shootin of ya mouth" like a spoilt little girl till ya get your way.
By all means don't let me stop you. Assclown.
I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #17
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW.
Nope. Just returning fire.
Anyways I have run out of free time for this "banter".
CYA.
Ventry(Leo Wainker) is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #18
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member
 
Gwarsbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mostly on earth though in some alt dimensions
Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I know lets do everything we can to make this game easy for noobs...

Lets remove concs because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove grenades because noobs ask how to use them...

Lets remove rockets because noobs ask how to rocket jump...

Lets remove cloaking because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove backstabbing because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove sniper rifiles because noobs ask how to kill with them...

Lets remove engineer rail gun because noobs ask how to do a powerful shot...

Lets remove bunny hopping because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove sabotage because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove upgrading sgs because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove triping because noobs ask how to do that...

Lets remove flag capping because noobs ask where to cap the flag...

Lets remove the bases because noobs ask how to get out of bases...

Lets remove pretty much everything because noobs ask about pretty much everything.

/sarcasticmode


I don't know what its like on other servers but over on the only server I play on when someone asks how to do something we usually tell them and in many cases even stop to try to show them how.

If you remove stuff that noobs ask or complain about because there is a learning curve then you might as well take everything out of the game and just leave people in a big empty box to shoot each other.



Guess what every game has learning curves, some more then others.


Keep getting killed by X character class? Keep playing and learn how to counter it. I have seen complaints by users for every single character class.

Can't figure something out? Ask for help, if no one there is willing to help, find a better server or keep working at it.


Getting really tried of Bridget's complaints and suggestions to pretty much nerf everything just because he can't get past certain classes.

I don't even know why he even still has the beta tester tags on cause its very obvious to most hes just a troll trying to cause problems.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
I don't even know why he even still has the beta tester tags on cause its very obvious to most hes just a troll trying to cause problems.
Sure thing, pal.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
>>Gwarsbane implying he's not a noob
__________________
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
2.5duein2032, alienatetheplayerbase, anotherbridgetsuggestion, bridgetwhine, bridgitsucksballs, elmo-says-yall-are-gay, genghisisgayforbridget, genghissucksbridgitsass, how2developmod?, letstalkshitwithtagslolz, niggerniggerniggernigger, niggerniggerniggernigger2, over9000tags, riceyownsyouall, tl;dr, whyffisaterriblegame, youareallchildren


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.