Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #221
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
GenghisTron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dystopia
Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
Ouch dude, you hurt my feelings. Are you trying to say that because I'm new to FF I can't offer anything? Also, if you knew how much effort it takes to learn C++ I doubt you'd be saying "cool I guess". I spent last night learning bunny hopping/ double jumping and learning the mechanics of the game. I've also started to get to know some of the people who play as well(and they've been teaching me some stuff as well). So yeah, just C++, level designing skills, sound engineering and composing...that's cool I guess.


But thank you so much for such fine posts as:
TF2 VS FF analogy
Bitching about the sniper
Bitching about hitboxes

Your data table is sweet, and various posts of yours I agree with. But to call me out like this is honestly bullshit.
Now you know why this game is dead. Shit community.
__________________
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #222
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
Ouch dude, you hurt my feelings. Are you trying to say that because I'm new to FF I can't offer anything? Also, if you knew how much effort it takes to learn C++ I doubt you'd be saying "cool I guess". I spent last night learning bunny hopping/ double jumping and learning the mechanics of the game. I've also started to get to know some of the people who play as well(and they've been teaching me some stuff as well). So yeah, just C++, level designing skills, sound engineering and composing...that's cool I guess.


But thank you so much for such fine posts as:
TF2 VS FF analogy
Bitching about the sniper
Bitching about hitboxes

Your data table is sweet, and various posts of yours I agree with. But to call me out like this is honestly bullshit.
lol, take it easy man, I wasn't trying to initiate a dick-waving contest. I just found it sort of funny that you have a staff label and don't know basic stuff about the game. I didn't really mean to suggest you shouldn't be on the dev team or anything.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #223
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Elmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
not even gonna read it Bridget. I've unapproved your post.

FYI I saw the words "double standard" and didn't bother looking at any more
__________________
Support FF:
Done: ff_monkey
Done: ff_bases
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-09-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #224
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Taking lessons from Scuzzy, are we, Elmo? I classify my opinion on the matter in a civil manner defending my reputation, and because you have a personal vendetta against me (as I pointed out in the post you removed), you have to resort to abusing admin powers instead of actually addressing my points? Stay classy.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #225
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Elmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
damn you got me man. I am Scuzzy through and through lol
__________________
Support FF:
Done: ff_monkey
Done: ff_bases
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #226
spambot2.1
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
why you guys shit on bridget so much?

I have a small forum I am trying to populate and I would def. pay top dollar for him to hang out on my forum and make posts all day long. He is way better than any bot or script I've seen. Without his activity this forum would appear COMPLETELY dead = dead game in mind of 99% of people.

Last edited by spambot2.1; 12-09-2010 at 06:27 PM.
spambot2.1 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #227
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
My point was this: I was told my opinions on this game mean little because I do not actively play. I was also removed from the beta as such. However, I told the development team that how active you play this game now is irrelevant to the overall experience you might have playing this game. In my case, playing the game now would only be done out of enjoyment, as I already have two or three years of experience playing the game to learn how it works. In my case, actively playing means jack shit when it comes to if I am justified to partake in in-depth discussion or form radical opinions.

Majesty, however, plays the game because he has to learn how the game works alongside the enjoyment he gets. He has only few weeks experience, apparently, playing this game. Yet, he was immediately promoted to developer status, which would suggest to me, that he should be capable of understanding this game on a much higher level than any ordinary person. Yet, he is not. He is new to the game. He is still learning. So, how the fuck am I disqualified for making experience-backed posts because I do not actively play for fun, and Majesty is qualified for making posts with little experience, and still has to actively play to grasp the game? How can you justify removing me from beta and bashing my opinions on this game, and then go on to promote someone less-qualified than I to a position higher than the one I was purged from? It makes no fucking sense.

If you guys want him to be your code monkey, doing work that is issued down to him from those who do understand the game, that's absolutely fine by me. But, if you think he is capable of driving this modification off only weeks of experience because he actively plays for education and fun, while I am turned down the opportunity to help this modification in lesser fashion (through the beta and my contributions here) with years of experience because I do not actively play solely for fun, then you guys are pretty fucking inconsistent and have an obvious personal vendetta against me.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #228
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester
 
moosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Why should the development team like you when you say stuff like "FF is dead/shit/not fun" and be negative most of the time? People won't like you if you're an asshole to them. Are you socially inept?
__________________
[[ ff_hotfudge - bhop_theonlyone ]]
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #229
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member
 
Gwarsbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mostly on earth though in some alt dimensions
Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Ok so people who constantly play the game, know nothing and people who haven't played the game in 6 months or more know what they are talking about.


Ok so what we should all do is quit this game (for what ever reasons, like unwilling to spend 20 bucks to get a video card that can run something higher then DX7) and then complain about people ruining the game, tell the devs to remove classes just because noobs can't get by them (even though noobs get by them all the time) and of course toss in a few racist words now and then to my ourselves look educated....



Oh and Majesty welcome to our little place in hell. Had I known you were one of the Devs... I would have sliced you up even more in game.

Stab and gas ya in game later.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #230
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Why should the development team like you when you say stuff like "FF is dead/shit/not fun" and be negative most of the time? People won't like you if you're an asshole to them. Are you socially inept?
I'm not the reason this game is dead or dying. I'm not the reason this game has elements of it that are shit. I'm not the reason this game is not fun anymore for some people. Sounds like a case of shooting the messanger. I don't want this game to be dead or dying. I don't want it to be shit. I don't want it to be boring. I have stated that desire time and time again. Fuck, is it even necessary to state anymore? Where do you people constantly get the idea that I want these attributes?

The only time I have willed Fortress Forever dead was out of defeat. Sometimes, it's better to be put out of your misery than to suffer. But, I would never will Fortress Forever's death if it were in a healthy state. Sometimes it's just better for a game to die than for it to survive off the expectation that the next patch is going to fix everything a year down the line or some shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
Ok so people who constantly play the game, know nothing and people who haven't played the game in 6 months or more know what they are talking about.
I never said that. I said that I was removed from the beta for having experience but not actively playing (despite the fact that actively playing is redundant if you already have enough experience) while someone else was promoted to the highest status there is while having little experience and actively playing (to obtain the experience that I have already acquired). It just makes no sense. Here's an analogy, in an attempt to explain this, hurrrr:

Quote:
X has read War and Peace. X understands the plot. However, because X does not reread the novel weekly, X is considered unqualified to voice an opinion on the novel. X is demoted from being on the discussion board for War and Peace.

Y, on the other hand, has not finished War and Peace. Y is in the process of reading the novel. Y is in the process of comprehending the plot too. However, Y is promoted immediately to being a leader on the discussion board for War and peace.

X doesn't necessarily have to go back and reread the novel to still have a general understanding of the plot. Because X already has a general understanding of the plot, going back to reread is mostly for fun, though X might find some stuff he missed here and there.

Y hasn't even got to a point where one might be mandated to go back and reread the novel. Y doesn't have a general understanding of the plot, and the current read, being the first read, is for both fun, but mostly comprehension. Y will miss some stuff, which will be rediscovered if the novel is reread, but Y has to concentrate now on solely comprehending the plot.

To be intellectually honest, Y could understand more than X does from the little he Y has read, because finishing the book does not guarantee that you understood it. Y could, just from the little exposure had, understand more of the plot than X has. After all, X could have just read the words and finished reading the words, instead of actually finishing the book.

However, how rare is that? It isn't something we base our expectations on, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
Ok so what we should all do is quit this game (for what ever reasons, like unwilling to spend 20 bucks to get a video card that can run something higher then DX7) and then complain about people ruining the game, tell the devs to remove classes just because noobs can't get by them (even though noobs get by them all the time) and of course toss in a few racist words now and then to my ourselves look educated....
I really hate when you make a post, because it's always so stupid that I feel like taking a hit of car muffler to permanently ease myself of the pain. Do you honestly think someone can purchase a video card for $20.00 that will run the demanding games of today at anything over low with an fps configuration? I am not going to scrape the bottom of the barrel at bare minimum just to test Fortress Forever. I would rather wait until I get my hands on enough cash to warrant a new build. Also, I never said the Sniper should be removed solely for the fact that beginners find it hard to pass him. I said that was one of the symptoms of the problem, not the actual problem.

Last edited by Bridget; 12-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #231
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
lol
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #232
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
lol
WHAT'S SO FUNNY?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #233
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
WHAT'S SO FUNNY?
Everything
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #234
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism View Post
Everything
WELL, AREN'T YOU OPTIMISTIC.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #235
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On
 
PartialSchism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississippi
Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
WELL, AREN'T YOU OPTIMISTIC.
Not optimistic, just true...
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #236
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #237
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester
 
Lynus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MI
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
Bridget your problem is you come on here with negativity... you think everyone is going to be gunning for you on these forums before you even make a post! And why wouldn't we? You talk shit about the developers, the game, and its overall health. You come on here soley to state your opinion on how bad everything is. You're negative dude. And you talk too much...

EDIT : Oh and btw the game isn't boring.. maybe if it's that boring to you - you should move on in life with something that you do find fun
__________________
hef

Last edited by Lynus; 12-09-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #238
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff
 
Crazycarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Bridget, you've been told again and again that your suggestions are, on the whole, good ones. How much you play the game is not relevant to the quality of your ideas. This is true.

I don't know why or when you got taken off beta; I was not a part of that action. You said you were taken out because you can't/don't currently run the game. That seems reasonable to me, as the only reason anyone needs to be in the beta is to run tests. You are still free to make as many suggestions as you want, and I, at least, will judge them on their merits.

But then, in the past you've lied about what devs have told you, so maybe that had nothing to do with it. I would think the major reason you were taken off was your inability to refrain from bashing the devs and leaking proprietary information on the forums.

Playing games does not make one a good developer. Majesty applied for the position, he demonstrated a number of relevant skills, and expressed an interest in the game, and he seemed like someone we could get along with. That is all that is required to be a dev. I really prefer that he's not familiar with all the historical baggage attached to this game; it's all a liability and nothing should be immune from possible change.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #239
Bridget
Banned
 
Bridget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
I don't know why or when you got taken off beta; I was not a part of that action. You said you were taken out because you can't/don't currently run the game. That seems reasonable to me, as the only reason anyone needs to be in the beta is to run tests. You are still free to make as many suggestions as you want, and I, at least, will judge them on their merits.
I have stated my reasons for not beta testing as much in the past. It is because there were barely any changes in between test days to justify me testing, and some of the stuff I didn't like, so I obviously had no affinity toward testing it. Besides, testing never felt like actual testing. It seemed like an excuse to just play Fortress Forever 2.5. I got fed up with shit not getting done, that I and arguably much of the community see as top priority. You guys can tell the public time and time again that the Engineer is being worked on, but by what fucking standard? If something was last worked on months ago, is it still being worked on? I wouldn't say so, but you guys have no problem saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
But then, in the past you've lied about what devs have told you, so maybe that had nothing to do with it. I would think the major reason you were taken off was your inability to refrain from bashing the devs and leaking proprietary information on the forums.
Lied about what? Also, big deal if I leaked something here and there. Sometimes you have to force a little transparency or leak little information to get your points across. What good does it do with information sitting around in secret? It makes everyone outside of the beta bored as fuck. It makes them feel like animals waiting for their next feed, which is pathetic, considering they should be a better asset to you guys than that. Seriously, boo-hoo, if I bashed you guys. Your job is to take criticism. How else will this game progress?

Last edited by Bridget; 12-10-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #240
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I guess the question is, if you don't test(inane as you may think testing is), why bother being a tester? As Carl said, your suggestions are welcome.... but the negative attitude isn't. At first, it was seen as "that's his viewpoint", but it got really OLD after a while. It was almost as if the only reason you were doing it, was to be a counter-productive asshole. That's not what we want, or need. I'm not saying you should be a kiss-ass yes-man.... quite the opposite. Just quit being so negative. And no, they are not mutually exclusive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.