Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
Jace Hall Show [Duke Nukem Forever related]

from 3drealms.com
Quote:
Word on the street has it that long-time game industry vet, Jason Hall, has a new episodic show debuting on Xbox Live and Crackle.com on June 4th, and the first episode reveals his recent undercover visit to 3D Realms. There's a surprise in this story, but you'll have to watch the show to see it.

The Jace Hall Show episodes will be weekly recurring, each about five minutes long. Most people remember that Jace Hall was a founder and CEO of Monolith Studios (Blood, Tron, No One Lives Forever, Condemed, F.E.A.R.), and then became head of Warner Bros. Interactive Studios division for several years. Hall is still on the Warner lot with his own company HDFILMS, and is now producing feature films, full scale television shows and online internet programming.

We expect an announcement very soon to confirm the June 4th launch date rumors.

The first episode also has been rumored to contain one of the stars of NBC’s hit series “Heroes.”

This show may have landed the greatest scoop of all time in the history of gaming… We shall see!

Perhaps at least one new snipit of media for DNF? the preview had a voice file of DN, http://www.jacehallshow.com/images/m...videos/DNF.WAV

supposedly the episode should b up soon
www.jacehallshow.com

btw, the worlds gonna end soon
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
Condemed?

Jason Hall is tall
there should be a Jason Hall movie, played by Dwayne Johnson
leilei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Ok first of all, I like the show. Needs moar of it, but I prefer the TOTALLY RAD SHOOOWW. 2ndly, the new duke nukem game looks fuckin sweet!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Etzell
D&A Member

I can't believe people still give a fuck about DNF. I'll believe it's coming out when I can hold the box in my hands. Then I might consider trying it.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Ahahha, I don't understand how you could just consider trying it. This game is not even out yet and it's already famous. I wanna try it out just for this fact alone lol.

You know what this looks like? Sulkiness!
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Etzell
D&A Member

There is no possible way that it's gonna be worth the 12 years of development. Not a chance. Why bother being let down? Why not just appreciate Duke for what he once was?

Kinda like Indiana Jones 4. Except that was just a waste of $7, instead of a waste of $50.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
There is no possible way that it's gonna be worth the 12 years of development. Not a chance. Why bother being let down? Why not just appreciate Duke for what he once was?
That's some very weird logic you have lol. It all seems wrong to me.

First, what does it mean to be worth 12 years of development for a game? Second, why even take development time into consideration at all when judging a game?

It would be stupid to not recommend a great game (any great game) based on the fact that it took longer than usual to make.

Also, the way I see it, whenever you feel let down by someone or something in life, the sole person to blame is yourself... You can't blame others for not meeting your expectations. Just lower your expectations and all will be fine, or even better, don't expect anything.

When you're saying "Why not just appreciate Duke for what he once was?". I'm returning the question to you: Why not just appreciate Duke for what it will be when DNF releases (if it ever does)?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
leilei
o^_^o

Class/Position: O
it's not 12 years of development
it's more like 5
it's just 12 years of sticking to the game and not cancelling it and making some lame uninspired clone game like kreed or so.
leilei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
That's some very weird logic you have lol. It all seems wrong to me.

First, what does it mean to be worth 12 years of development for a game? Second, why even take development time into consideration at all when judging a game?
The end product won't be worth the wait, is what I'm telling you. For this game to justify 12 years of delays, it would have to turn my shit into pure gold.

Quote:
Also, the way I see it, whenever you feel let down by someone or something in life, the sole person to blame is yourself... You can't blame others for not meeting your expectations. Just lower your expectations and all will be fine, or even better, don't expect anything.
You mean like I was doing previously, until you told me how awesome the game was going to be?

Quote:
When you're saying "Why not just appreciate Duke for what he once was?". I'm returning the question to you: Why not just appreciate Duke for what it will be when DNF releases (if it ever does)?
I'll appreciate it for what all of the footage I've seen thus far leads me to beleive it is: A mediocre game. Waiting 12 years for mediocrity isn't exactly "worth it" to me, especially with video games.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
The end product won't be worth the wait, is what I'm telling you. For this game to justify 12 years of delays, it would have to turn my shit into pure gold.

You mean like I was doing previously, until you told me how awesome the game was going to be?

I'll appreciate it for what all of the footage I've seen thus far leads me to beleive it is: A mediocre game. Waiting 12 years for mediocrity isn't exactly "worth it" to me, especially with video games.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to be straight with you and tell you that I think you're an idiot. You didn't even read/understand/consider my points, instead you just spouted the same idiotic bullshit as before.

Anyways, just the fact that you said: "until you told me how awesome the game was going to be?"

I never said the game was going to be awesome.

You lied to backup your stupid argumentation... or maybe you just don't know the difference between awesome and famous? In both cases, you're an idiot.

If you feel like replying with the same bullshit again, please do it in PM so it doesn't hijack bingo-bango's thread.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
i dont think that etzell feeling that the game is going to be mediocre and not as good as it should be considering the time it took to finally develop makes him an idiot.

personally, i was never waiting for it. so it being 'worth the wait' or not has no relevance to how much ill like the game. however, i will be taking into consideration the time that it took to develop, and if its any less than awesome, it will be thrown into the pile of 'shit that shouldnt have taken so long to be released, because its still shit.' for the time it took this game to be developed, it should be nothing short of amazing. anything less will be a massive disappointment.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Okay let's go hypothetical just for the sake of making it easier for you guys to get my point on this whole "being worth 12 years of development" thing.

Put yourself in the position of a professional reviewer for a PC gaming magazine. You have to review a game that's been in development for 100 years and give it a score at the end so people know if it's worth buying or not.

Would the development time be influencing the score of the game? If you answer yes to this... I hope you never get to be a game reviewer lol.

You understand now? Best game ever or worst game ever, the development time is NOT a factor when recommending a game or not. You can only judge a game for what it's worth compared to other games. Development time is not even to take into consideration. Sure it's an interesting information, but nothing more than that.

And Skanky, please don't put words in my mouth when I never said such things. I called Etzell an idiot because he obviously didn't read/understand/consider any of what I said before replying and he topped that with putting words in my mouth, confusing "famous" and "awesome". I never said he was an idiot for believing the game was going to be mediocre and not as going as it should be considering the time it took to finally develop.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
regardless of whether time 'should' be a factor or not, it is. and im not a game reviewer, im an average gamer. the kind of average gamer that will be paying for this game if i feel its worth buying, which from the looks of it, probably wont be. im sure there are a lot of other average gamers that will be judging this game not only by the gameplay, but the gameplay vs time factor. i see your point, that the time doesnt have anything to do with whether the game is good or not, but my point is that your expectations for that game do. its the same reason that the new metal gear solid hasnt been getting phenomenal reviews. the hype surrounding the game, and the time it took to develop (considerably less than dnf), has made expectations for the game very high. and while its not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination (according to reviewers), its still a bit disappointing when it doesnt live up to the hype. and if its taking them this long to release a game, they must not be that skilled/talented/crafty/whathaveyou to release the phenomenal game that theyve promised for so long.

either way, a good game is a good game, regardless of how long it took to develop. i just hope dnf turns out to be a good game. happy?
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Okay let's go hypothetical just for the sake of making it easier for you guys to get my point on this whole "being worth 12 years of development" thing.

Put yourself in the position of a professional reviewer for a PC gaming magazine. You have to review a game that's been in development for 100 years and give it a score at the end so people know if it's worth buying or not.

Would the development time be influencing the score of the game? If you answer yes to this... I hope you never get to be a game reviewer lol.

You understand now? Best game ever or worst game ever, the development time is NOT a factor when recommending a game or not. You can only judge a game for what it's worth compared to other games. Development time is not even to take into consideration. Sure it's an interesting information, but nothing more than that.

And Skanky, please don't put words in my mouth when I never said such things. I called Etzell an idiot because he obviously didn't read/understand/consider any of what I said before replying and he topped that with putting words in my mouth, confusing "famous" and "awesome". I never said he was an idiot for believing the game was going to be mediocre and not as going as it should be considering the time it took to finally develop.
Actually, when many gamers wait considerable amounts of time for a game to be released, they expect it to be worth the wait. As Yahtzee put it, if DNF doesn't cure at least three types of cancer, it won't be worth shit. In fact, if it doesn't do that while breaking 30 bricks of reinforced concrete with an Inside/Outside Crescent Kick, I'm going to say that it should be much better for the time it took to be developed.

Most people expect that something that takes time to be done is going to be better, more refined, to justify the extra time. TF2 has not in any way justified the time spent on it, IMO. Due to this, Valve changed it considerably, and made it much more marketable to the masses who had never heard of Team Fortress in the first place. They had no expectations due to development time, as they didn't even know about it in the first place.

Time is a factor in quality. There should be a positive correlation between the two to justify the former. The time behind DNF is causing people to expect it to be a very well made game with some groundbreaking shit, a la HL2. We waited how many years, and a good amount of delays for HL2, and to me, it was well worth it for the physics and gameplay.

I daresay your bold usertitle has gotten to your head.

EDIT:

Quote:
It would be stupid to not recommend a great game (any great game) based on the fact that it took longer than usual to make.
Etzell isn't recommending the game due to the development time. Stupidity is common among idiots. Implication of Etzell being an idiot is there. You called him an idiot.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Actually, when many gamers wait considerable amounts of time for a game to be released, they expect it to be worth the wait. As Yahtzee put it, if DNF doesn't cure at least three types of cancer, it won't be worth shit. In fact, if it doesn't do that while breaking 30 bricks of reinforced concrete with an Inside/Outside Crescent Kick, I'm going to say that it should be much better for the time it took to be developed.

Most people expect that something that takes time to be done is going to be better, more refined, to justify the extra time. TF2 has not in any way justified the time spent on it, IMO. Due to this, Valve changed it considerably, and made it much more marketable to the masses who had never heard of Team Fortress in the first place. They had no expectations due to development time, as they didn't even know about it in the first place.

Time is a factor in quality. There should be a positive correlation between the two to justify the former. The time behind DNF is causing people to expect it to be a very well made game with some groundbreaking shit, a la HL2. We waited how many years, and a good amount of delays for HL2, and to me, it was well worth it for the physics and gameplay.

I daresay your bold usertitle has gotten to your head.

EDIT:

Etzell isn't recommending the game due to the development time. Stupidity is common among idiots. Implication of Etzell being an idiot is there. You called him an idiot.

rofl... give me a break. I would have said the exact same thing, usertitle or not. That's just a cheap shot on your part my friend. I've been debating ideas in exactly the same way since I joined this forum a long time ago.

Anyways, back on topic, ... you know what, I'll just post the conversation that happened by PM instead, I doubt Etzell would have any objection.

Quote:
Why isn't the time a legit criteria? When movies come out that have been delayed repeatedly, it's more often than not a sign that the final product isn't good. When a band keeps pushing a CD back, the resultant CD normally isn't great. It's a trend, no more, no less. Sometime a game's delay is a good thing (HL1, HL2), but sometimes a lengthy devlopment process ends in letdown (Daikatana, Syphon Filter 4).

I understand you're saying that you don't think development time should be a factor, but I'm saying that it's often indicative of the product.
I also say that it's going to be impossible to NOT look at the 12 years it took this game to come out, if in fact it does come out this time. Why? Because it's going to be compared to the other Duke Nukem games first. The ones that came out more than 12 years ago. That's where your quality comparisons are going to come from, and that's where I don't think the new one will measure up.

And, I apologize for misreading your post. I was replying, and didn't take the time to re-read the "famous" post.

-Had it posted, decided to just PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4x
Hey don't worry about.

On topic, believe me, I understand exactly what you're saying. Thing is, I try my best not to have preconceptions in life because I feel it gives me better chances to see things as they truely are.

You're asking why time isn't a legit criteria and you then answer yourself. Words like "more often than not", "normally", "trend", "sometimes" are all part of the answer. All these words mean it could go one way or the other, therefor a "lenghty development time" isn't a legit criteria since it doesn't bring any certitude.

By the way, I'm having huge expectations for this game and if it doesn't meet my expectations, I will definately be disapointed but that won't stop me from enjoying the game for what it's worth which has nothing to do with the development time. I won't throw it in a big pile of shit because it's short of awesome. I'll treat it just like every other game. Letting my emotions interfer with my judgment would be fooling myself.

What I mean is, if the game turns out great but not "12-years-of-development" (whatever that means to you (which can vary quite a bit from one person to the other by the way)) awesome and you won't play it because it's not "12-years-of-development awesome", you'll only be fooling yourself, and that is what I got from your previous forum posts.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
I think only the people who were actually waiting for this game will take development time in account, the rest, which includes me, will just play it like any other FPS. That said, if the game is nothing more than mediocre, the 12 years certainly don't work in favor of the developers.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Quote:
rofl... give me a break. I would have said the exact same thing, usertitle or not. That's just a cheap shot on your part my friend. I've been debating ideas in exactly the same way since I joined this forum a long time ago.
Good job ignoring everything else I said.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Good job ignoring everything else I said.
I did not ignore what you said. I didn't have anything else to say at that time. But if you're gonna take it personaly...

Quote:
I don't. I think it's stupid to think like that.

Quote:
I guess I'm not most people. Probably because I understand that time isn't the only factor to weigh in. So many other factors are to be considered. Here's a really simple one: manpower. "Game A" took 2 years with 100 people, "Game B" took 10 years with 20 people. "Game B" is definately going to be awesome, right? At least 5 times more awesome than "Game A", right?

Quote:
If people want to believe that a game that took 10 years to make HAS to be better than one that took 2 years, whatever, I don't care. I just think it's pretty stupid not to consider all the other factors.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #19
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Quote:
I don't. I think it's stupid to think like that.
Then we're arguing opinions.
[qouote]I guess I'm not most people. Probably because I understand that time isn't the only factor to weigh in. So many other factors are to be considered. Here's a really simple one: manpower. "Game A" took 2 years with 100 people, "Game B" took 10 years with 20 people. "Game B" is definately going to be awesome, right? At least 5 times more awesome than "Game A", right?[/quote]
Look at EA. Manpower can mean very little. The name loses me right now, but one guy from Europe wrote an entire medieval based game with his wife doing the artwork, and it's epic.
Quote:
If people want to believe that a game that took 10 years to make HAS to be better than one that took 2 years, whatever, I don't care. I just think it's pretty stupid not to consider all the other factors.
I agree there are other factors. But, I believe that time is a big thing, as it has to be justified. Generally in quality, unless there are extremes to be considered. FF is a good example there, as it was put together by a group of college students.

And yes, I do take it personally, ever since you stopped calling. YOU SAID YOU WANTED THE BALLGAG!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #20
Constipated_Zombie

I wish I was able to throw meaningless paragraphs at people.
Constipated_Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote