Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
Loader
>_<

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Ahh, micro ATX. Sorry, didn't read that.

Personally I stay well away from Micro stuff. Rubbish imo.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #22
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Also, don't bother with quad core. Unless you have serious SMP applications (UT and Quake 3 don't count as serious), you'll only utilize one core to its fullest. That and XP and Vista don't fully support them yet (Then again, what DOES Vista fully support?).

Foxconn specializes in OEM boards sold to manufacturers such as Dell, HP, et cetera. They're solid boards if you don't bother trying to overclock. The Gigabyte should be good too. If you wanted to OC, it'd be a different story. But for general usage, they're fine. In fact, our family computer's been running a Gigabyte board for about seven years now.

... lol @ TomsHardware tests.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
... lol @ TomsHardware tests.
Might I ask why?
SkynYrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #24
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

TH has been infamous in the past for tweaking reviews and such in favor of the company to pay them more. Same for Anandtech. I know a guy who once reviewed for the latter, and was told he couldn't write a bad review about a sponsor's product (Abit). TH is the same way.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #25
gotdamojo06

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I hadn't ever hear of that before, well now I know not to trust the reviews that I read from those sites.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #26
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

In that case, could you enlighten me as to where I can find unbiased hardware reviews?

Also, proof? I "know some guy" who says lots of things...

Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynYrd
In that case, could you enlighten me as to where I can find unbiased hardware reviews?

Also, proof? I "know some guy" who says lots of things...
The test where they ran a AMD and an Intel CPU w/o heatsinks while turning on the PC. The intel CPU shuts down- no damage. The Athlon goes off like a firework- Physically impossible.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #28
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Links? I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong... in fact I'm MORE than willing to stop listening to their advice if it's flawed. I just want to see the evidence, that's all. It seems like fabricating benchmarks would be more complicated and time-consuming than just reporting the real ones... but if I'm wrong so be it. I don't have a personal preference either way, as long as I am getting good hardware advice from somewhere I can trust.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #29
gizmofo
The Bestest

Understand your position, but that's the only one I remember.. To my knowledge, most of their stuff is legit, but I have heard that they tend to favor intel over AMD.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #30
Tennovan
The one and only

http://www.hardocp.com

I read my reviews at the [H]... and then I double check them in the forums (http://www.hardforum.com). Most of the parts I mentioned will be bought for my next build. I already have a case/psu and aftermarket cpu cooler but I'm thinking about grabbing the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, Intel C2D E6750, 2GB GSkill (Cas 4), and Seagate 7200.10 320GB. As far as graphics, I'm hoping a new line of cards come out soon... this generation is impressive but I need something newer than the 9 month old 8800 series.

Edit: fixed url

Last edited by Tennovan; 07-25-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 AM   #31
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

http://www.overclockersclub.com :P Great site for unbiased reviews, and HardOCP.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #32
gizmofo
The Bestest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
http://www.hardocp.com

I read my reviews at the [H]... and then I double check them in the forums (http://www.hardforum.com). Most of the parts I mentioned will be bought for my next build. I already have a case/psu and aftermarket cpu cooler but I'm thinking about grabbing the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, Intel C2D E6750, 2GB GSkill (Cas 4), and Seagate 7200.10 320GB. As far as graphics, I'm hoping a new line of cards come out soon... this generation is impressive but I need something newer than the 9 month old 8800 series.

Edit: fixed url
What are you waiting for?
If its for some newer games, I'd wait till after possibly crysis comes out- then the directX10 series will have a benchmark you can trust. If your sticking with X9, you may have a while to wait.. ATI is having trouble keeping up with Nvdia and I doubt Nvdia would make a new card if they already have top position.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #33
Tennovan
The one and only

Well with Nvidia's refresh right around the corner, I'm trying hard not give in and buy another 8800gts. What are they calling it.. G92 or something? Despite the fact that they have the top spot, there is pressure on them to release newer cards by customers AND software developers.

You've got Crysis and Bioshock coming out in the next couple of months and they'll never hear the end of it if there isn't a mid-range card that can run those games. Even games with hacked up DX10 patches are stressing the 8800 Ultra... more than it should.

On top of that, you've got Microsoft trying to push Vista in every possible way and it doesn't help them if all these DX10 games are released but the average gamer can't afford to play them in anything but the DX9 path.

Luckily for us, the big review sites have no issues with posting benchmarks (synthetic) as well as gameplay results. Nvidia and AMD/ATI will often provide these sites with unreleased/beta drivers to help their numbers and its still not helping. I have a feeling that Nvidia's next cards will blow us away, if only to stay one step ahead of sneaky AMD.
Tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #34
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Just a side note, this is the 10,000th thread on these forums... wow. What a long ride it's been. *sniffles*

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #35
lobo

ATX version

I took everyones advice into consideration and have come up with a new ATX build.

What I already have:
Hard drives for RAID.

Case:
LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII W Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $139.99
I am picky about the looks of my case and this one was the only one I could find that I could stand looking at in my price range. I hate doors and goofy curved plastic case fronts and this one has neither. The reviews for this case are fairly positive also.

Mainboard:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $229.99
From what I have read this is a very nice overclocking board with loads of features. The para port is nice for my printer (but I could also buy a new usb one). It is also a P35 board which from what I have read is a faster board overall than the 680i. The only problem is that the P35 chipset can't do SLI.

This board however can do SLI
XFX MB-N680-ISH LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $219.99
This is also a feature packed mainboard but from what I can figure from comparisons of the two boards and chipsets is that it will run a small amount slower and not have as great potential for overclocking.

I will not run SLI off the bat due to the expense of it. I also don't think I would appreciate the extra power consumption, heat creation, and noise from it. What do you guys think about getting an SLI mainboard now for its future upgrade potential?

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150173 - $309.99
This 8800 GTS looks like the card to get at this price and from reviews this looks like a good version of it.

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply - Retail - $169.99
It is modular and the reviewers describe it as quiet and stable. Also it doesn't have any silly lights or what not.

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail - $204.99
A fast chip at a good price. I don't think the quad cores would be worth the extra money for me at this point.

Ram
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 - Retail - $154.99
Looks like a good kit from the reviews that overclocks well too.

Drives:
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM - $33.99
I chose this drive because it does pretty much everything and is SATA.
and
SIIG JU-91RW12-S4 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Write + Floppy - Retail - $39.99
Its black has SD card slot and floppy drive.

So let me know what you think. Also what I have here is about the most I would want to spend. If I want to buy a more expensive version of one component I would have to buy a cheaper version of another.
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #36
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i have the p35 chipset, its cool