Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Double_D

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
glitch - bhop + +gren2

I have an odd glitch when I bhop and HH conc when the +gren2 is bound to letter g (default). I bhop as normal, but once I hold down 'g' for my +gren2, I lose my bhop and go into this strafing jump thing to the side, as if I had pressed 'w' while I was bhopping.

I am not pressing 'w' while bhopping. This happens to all classes. If I bind +gren2 to a different key other than 'g' then it works fine. For example, if my +gren2 is 'v' it works as normal. I can use 'g' as +gren2 with a different keyboard. I can grenade jump as normal with 'f' bound for +gren1.

The keyboard that I'm having this problem with is a Microsoft Dual Receiver Wireless USB Keyboard. I've rolled back the drivers and updated.

I can live with it being bound to a key other than g, but it would be nice if I could use the same binds that I've been been using for many years.

Thanks.
Double_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
9u-9u-9u
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demoman
Gametype: pipe spawn
Posts Rated Helpful 126 Times
I had a similar problem where my keyboard didn't let me use 'shift' for my grenades if i was holding down too many other keys, while any other button but shift worked.

keyboards behave funny like that sometimes i guess. i started using 2-tap nades instead since i couldn't hold it down
9u-9u-9u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
Might be this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29

Quote:
Key ghosting occurs on matrix keyboards for certain combinations of 3 keys. When these three keys are pressed simultaneously a fourth keypress is erroneously registered by the keyboard controller.[4]

Last edited by AfterShock; 04-27-2013 at 01:41 AM.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
I have an odd glitch when I bhop and HH conc when the +gren2 is bound to letter g (default). I bhop as normal, but once I hold down 'g' for my +gren2, I lose my bhop and go into this strafing jump thing to the side, as if I had pressed 'w' while I was bhopping.

I am not pressing 'w' while bhopping. This happens to all classes. If I bind +gren2 to a different key other than 'g' then it works fine. For example, if my +gren2 is 'v' it works as normal. I can use 'g' as +gren2 with a different keyboard. I can grenade jump as normal with 'f' bound for +gren1.

The keyboard that I'm having this problem with is a Microsoft Dual Receiver Wireless USB Keyboard. I've rolled back the drivers and updated.

I can live with it being bound to a key other than g, but it would be nice if I could use the same binds that I've been been using for many years.

Thanks.
Like AfterShock linked, it's almost certainly the keyboard. Some keyboards simply cannot handle certain numbers and combinations of buttons being pressed at the same time. Higher quality keyboards (e.g. Das Keyboard) have full rollover, which allows you to press as many keys as you can manage simultaneously.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Use Double Tap grenades, they're way better. They only take about a half hour to master. There's a choice for them in options.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
Use Double Tap grenades, they're way better. They only take about a half hour to master. There's a choice for them in options.
In before sab (Or is it MafiaMan? One of them feels strongly about two-tap grenades. Hopefully it's both so we get a nice flame war going) enters telling us we're bad 90 120 for not saving a keystroke.

Last edited by XPelargos; 05-05-2013 at 11:48 PM.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
lemme just hold down this key bro. Makes no sense.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
One can easily argue that 1 action is better than 2. Some people need 2 tap, some don't. I don't. Never have, never will.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
One can easily argue that 1 action is better than 2. Some people need 2 tap, some don't. I don't. Never have, never will.
Well the thing is it's not exactly "1 action over 2". It's 1 or two actions, versus 1 sustained keypress. In terms of HH concing 2tap is just pressing the button once, and forgetting about it. Where as single tap HH requires you to hold down a key till the conc goes off. Even if not HH I'd still argue that the milisecond to press the key each time is less of a hinderance than the combined 2-3 seconds you hold the key. It's not hard to use to single tap, of course not. But I think anyone who used both methods enough, would find easier multitasking potential in 2tap.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Only if they need to free up that finger for another action during the initial double tap would I find it useful, but I use that finger solely for concing... and fingering yo mama!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
When I started playing TFC, I couldn't A) handle holding F or G for grenade priming and B) couldn't handle hitting G for secondary grenades. Two-tap F and Shift gren keys 4 lyfe.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
Mouse4 -> gren1
Shift -> gren2

FTW

Why would you use your movement fingers to prime nades and nerf your dodge capability!

How the heck we ended up shipping the default config as G for secondary nades I have no idea. Terrible bind!
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote