Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 03-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #81
o_sh4x

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Newb question:

Why aren't you already compiling it for hl2dm? Is there an advantage to build with hl2 over hl2dm??
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #82
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Newb question:

Why aren't you already compiling it for hl2dm? Is there an advantage to build with hl2 over hl2dm??
When I was starting off I read somewhere on the forums that FF was based on HL2, so all the default materials available in HL2 (plus more ofc) would be available in FF, whereas some of the materials etc in other mods might not. Hence I decided to make it for HL2 for now. It's possible the thread I read at the time was misinformed, but it doesn't really matter cos it's very easy to change the game it's for.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #83
o_ghost

I played it using HL2DM just fine.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #84
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
I played it using HL2DM just fine.
Yep, it seems to run fine in HL2DM, but it's been compiled using standard HL2 settings in hammer atm is what I mean.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 AM   #85
o_sh4x

I thought HL2 and HL2DM were using the exact same textures.

Can someone from the dev team clear it up?
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 AM   #86
o_caesium

Beta2 Info

Thought I'd let you know what I've been doing with all your suggestions the last week or so, so here's a list of the changes we've implemented already for beta2:

- "func_areaportalwindow" brush entities added for front window transparency fade in/out and block vis
- Open "func_areaportal" brush entities added all around the map to help vis
- More trim added all around the base, especially front of base and top of main ramp
- One pillar removed from front window
- Custom orange tinted glass created and used in the red base
- Custom calmer water texture and animations created for happier feel and higher FPS
- Plank props replaced with a brush to correct lighting discontinuity
- General texture and trim tweaking and alignment, and stray decal fixes
- Custom textures created and used in placing of dull repeating black tiles all around the base
- Cubemap sizes changed to improve reflection quality where necessary
- New healthy looking tree models outside
- Resupply door triggers changed
- All door sounds changed

And these are the changes I currently want to do but haven't done yet:

- Soundscapes
- Find a decent sunny blue skybox (like the one we have atm) that lines up properly in its corners! If anyone can help me there pls say. Thanks.

That's about it I think. Sure Sid will add anything I've fogotten.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #87
o_kam

http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/5-skies-vt39666.html

or you can rip something from cs:s/dod:s?
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #88
o_broodingdude

This is how everyone wants to be able to view the official maps and other media.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #89
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
I thought HL2 and HL2DM were using the exact same textures.

Can someone from the dev team clear it up?
some textures are in hl2dm and not in hl2sp
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #90
o_arsenalfc

i too had a lot of fun bouncing off the rocks onto the battlements platform and into the front door. obviously conc speeds will be different but it's very easy to slide from the bottom of the main ramp to the security, or all the way into the flag room onto the flag itself. thanks for the noclip tip and well done on the map.
o_arsenalfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #91
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfc
i too had a lot of fun bouncing off the rocks onto the battlements platform and into the front door. obviously conc speeds will be different but it's very easy to slide from the bottom of the main ramp to the security, or all the way into the flag room onto the flag itself. thanks for the noclip tip and well done on the map.
Thanks man, glad you like the map I'm hoping to get beta2 out this coming weekend btw, which is a lot more polished all over and has a very distinctive feel.

There are many many many possible slides and trimps all over the map btw. Even simple ones like trimping up onto the little security bridge from a simple strafe, or onto the fr balc without using the ladder, keep me entertained for hours! My new favourite one atm is turning hard right at the top of the main ramp, getting flag, then coming out the same way all in one v fast move This could be handy if defences try to concentrate on the main ramp/security too much (but against a solid defence this is not supposed to be an easy move to pull off!). The tricky bit is getting under the bridge on the way into the rr while still having enough speed for the move. Btw that bridge is intentionally there to make the move harder and hence make it very worthwhile deactivating security so that the other rr is available (which is MUCH easier to attack).

Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #92
o_sensai

so come with this new release, are the sounds going to be in on this map?
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #93
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensai
so come with this new release, are the sounds going to be in on this map?
It's compiling right now. I went up until 5am last night cos I was up all night trying to fix stupid bugs hammer had created for no reason when the new version of the base was coppied into place. I think I've got it all sorted now though, there just might be a few textures that need realigning. Hopefully I won't need to compile again, but I wont know until this compile finishes in a few hours.

And yup, there are sounds

Old 04-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #94
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
It's compiling right now. I went up until 5am last night cos I was up all night trying to fix stupid bugs hammer had created for no reason when the new version of the base was coppied into place. I think I've got it all sorted now though, there just might be a few textures that need realigning. Hopefully I won't need to compile again, but I wont know until this compile finishes in a few hours.

And yup, there are sounds
wtf, compile, few hours? are you compiling hdr-final?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #95
o_caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
wtf, compile, few hours? are you compiling hdr-final?
No, I'm only compiling for LDR, but yes I'm using -final. The time it takes seems exponential with map size, but it's ok, I don't do many full compiles on the entire map anyway, so waiting a few extra hours now and then isn't a problem. Thanks God for my new computer tbh :P

Btw we found a few bugs in the compile I was doing this morning, so they are fixed and it's going again now. Hopefully this one will be alright for uploading later!

Old 04-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #96
o_elvis2049

omfg this looks realy nice m8.
/me bows 2 u
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #97
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
No, I'm only compiling for LDR, but yes I'm using -final. The time it takes seems exponential with map size, but it's ok, I don't do many full compiles on the entire map anyway, so waiting a few extra hours now and then isn't a problem. Thanks God for my new computer tbh :P

Btw we found a few bugs in the compile I was doing this morning, so they are fixed and it's going again now. Hopefully this one will be alright for uploading later!
damd, full badlands took me about 15 minutes to compile (no hdr)
and with hdr it took 30 minutes, but it was all black

maybe becouse i have a 3.8GHz processor, but that can't make a lot of difference, cant it? i had some hl1 maps that i've made and compiled on a 450mhz, it took the same time on my 3.8, so i donno

only a guess, is it vis that is taking so much time?

Last edited by o_stino; 04-07-2006 at 06:30 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #98
o_ambex

I think that this map is really good one, but it lacks good textures and lighting.
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #99
o_kam

Debatable, but atleast it doesn't lack gameplay like amped.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #100
o_caesium

Beta2 ETA

Bad news. There are some minor problems with the cubemaps on beta2 atm, and I want to fix them before I release it. This means that I won't be able to get it done until about a week, as I'm going away for a week right now. I was hoping to get beta2 out before I went, but I'd rather get it all right than rush it. Sorry to anyone who was waiting for it!

Everything else in beta2 is looking sweet.

Btw Stino, I'm compiling on dual 4200+ processors. I think aardvark takes a long time to compile due to the v complex and open nature (ie a lot of glass and the possiblity of very long light paths). Anyway, it's not a problem as I very rarely do a full "-final" compile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
I think that this map is really good one, but it lacks good textures and lighting.
Please be more specific on both counts, and bear in mind that many of the textures will change once we have the FF ones (and beta2 has a far more polished look). I'm very open to suggestions. Btw I've seen your map (Amped), and that's not at all the type of feeling in terms of texturing and lighting that I want to create, so maybe we just have very different ideas about how a fortress map should look and feel... Also, please please please use bspzip!

Last edited by o_caesium; 04-07-2006 at 11:32 AM.