Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #241
Tyrus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Heavy Weapons Guy is (HW) is way over powered and too fast.

Nail grenades are way under powered.
Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #242
[:]HighCmdr.Data(NL)

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Just played it a few times, for not a very long time really (few crashes), but so far (!): First of all; good job and thanks for all the effort.

What disturbed me most, was the graphic differences. In-base it's all kinda TFC like graphics (hardly any colours, like it was just roughly drawn) and then outside it's the opposite: great environment, nice sounds..

Can't really give my opinion about hte gameplay yet, since I've been workin out how to get my steam-folder in big-enough spot.
My 20 GB partition was stuffed with Steam only. Deleted some of the foreighn language stuff, and now there's enough space left.

Too bad the teleporters are gone (I know, it wasn't meant to be in FF) and again that the SG is too weak.
Yesterday I put my level 3 SG close near the flag in Shutdown2's FR and the enemy could take the flag without any problem!
In TFC the sg would've done more damage to the enemy and now the sg was still on 98% armor.. So it hardly got a chance to shoot.

But still a job well done!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #243
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrus
Heavy Weapons Guy is (HW) is way over powered and too fast.

Nail grenades are way under powered.
i sort of agree and dont agree but also i think the sg is sort of weak too... but needless to say the mods in great shape for the 1st release dont you think ?
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #244
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Love it I just wish I had stuck around for the beta testing. Hard to manage games and life at the same time.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #245
SmellyCat
Darknight

I'm still trying to work out exactly what I think about the mod (though my enjoyment was initially dulled by a fairly low spec PC) forcing direct X 7 has given me some playability that I couldn't get on anything other than LAN. I really ought to give some more in depth feedback when I've slept up, but the main point of this post was to highlight how awesome the Pyro is movement wise now (although a little imbalanced on cornfield :P) and how nice it is to actually enjoy the nitty-gritty of public play, which was something I couldn't do in TFC due to every server being a stale 2fort 8dv8d or spammy yawnsville Dustbowl.

Thanks for all your hard work, devs, and I hope you have the courage to keep updating FF (especially with optimisations!!!) for some time yet.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #246
Capt. Cock Block

Pros - Textures, sounds, gun design (for the most part), Grenade design (love the conc).

Cons - Animated voice for flag caps etc. (extremely gay and annoying sounding), Intro music (extremely gay I would just eliminate it all together), Background and main menu (ok design but I'd like to see something alittle more traditional like the FF logo, something similar to the TFC background), Some gun animations are missing (regular shotty doesn't have a reload cycle, and medkit doesn't move when you use it), Doesn't show when somebodies currently talking on a mic. There are more cons but im not going to list everything because this IS the first week of release so I'd imagine they will patch the majority of these issues.

Regardless of the bugs/glitches/crashes FF > TF2 in my book.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #247
Sais

Nice

Good game.. little bit too entertaining and play it for too long in each sitting.

A couple of bugs...
Getting out of the water at well is EXTREWELY annoying.
About a third of my deaths on well are usually from the elevators regardless on whether I am on D or O. -.-
You can place those guns in the walls... none of this is new to you but still annoying.

-Spy is beyond sexy.. makes me hard everytime I play him though he needs -better special nades. The ones in TFC were at least average damage when you piled them on a door. All in all, love the spy.
-HW is WAY too strong for the other classes right now. EMP doesn't do enough damage to most heavies.
-Sold's rockets are pretty weak. Need to do about 10% more with each rocket.
-Demo has the exact same problem with nades... you can't throw them high enough or shoot them high enough. Horizontal movement seems fine but you can't throw or shoot a nade two levels above you while jumping in any map. You have to prime the nades all to three seconds and throw them one at a time which means you'll never get two nades on an SG before SOMEONE kills you. Increase the hight you can throw/shoot a nade by a third and all of those problems would be fixed as far as I can tell. Maybe put a little more damage on the pipebombs and have them hit a larger area... 10% and 15%?
-Eng's are always a fun class. Love the EMP though it could stand to do a LITTLE more damage.. 5%? SG's range on some maps is fine the way it is... on other maps the SG can't even shoot across an average sized room effectively.
-Pyro? Love the rockets on the pyro... good damage... ect.
-Sniper? Used to play pretty much solely sniper in TFC but I don't really like the sniper in FF... maybe I'm just not used to it. Don't play it enough to complain.
Scouts and medics? No real problem there.

crossover needs a nade pack SOMEWHERE on the map. If there is one there I STILL haven't found it.
2mor whatever.. Good map. I believe I have played this on TFC before...
Well, lots o' glitches but still fun. And in red spawn looking up from the water tunnel (mid to flag room), missing the grate on the water side.
Push? Hated the map on TFC.. still hate it.
Hunted? Great map but if you lose sight of the hoe then you have to search the whole damn map to find him. Maybe for the bodyguards give them that sniper radar on the hoe at all times.

All in all, a great game which I need to spend less time playing... And now everyone can complain about how the HW doesn't need this or that based off my post. I'm sure I'll get called a few names over it.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #248
Cosides

First impressions:

* a little dark
* too much details (for me...): TFC was 'clean and clear'
* doors stuck sometimes [bug]
* scores don't work sometimes [bug]
* HW too powerfull on long range
* engie is confusing (need to make me some building binds etc)
* pipe jumping still works, YAY
* too much alike TFC for me (which I got bored off), so I don't think I'll be playing it 24/7 like I did TFC for like 5 years.

Overall: nice work from the devs, congratz
Cosides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #249
Meln

Great game, reminds me of playing TF/MTF. The only thing I don't like is how slow and uninteresting bunnyhopping is, I barely gain speed at all just by doing it on a flat surface.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #250
moogle

What did you find fun? The speed of the play was nice. I really liked all of the built-in options. The new graphics were great and I liked the look of the old maps remade. A Team Fortress Classic sequel that is player made is just really cool. I had great fun trying it out.
What surprises did you experience? Sniper seemed kind of like it did nothing even though I shot right at a guy several times. I couldn't find the console button.
Was there anything frustrating or annoying for you?
The game crashes for no apparent reason a bit after playing and I have to reopen it. I can't tell what color a player is because the models are too dark though everything else is bright. I have good movement in TFC, but it seems strafejumping and bunnyhopping does just about nothing in FF. That's it really not bad for a player mod of TFC that was just released. I am impressed. You guys really gotta add bunnyhopping and air speed gains or the game just isn't going to be intricate enough. Might be fun to clan in still <shrugs> I would still play TFC over it for the great movement in it.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #251
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Hi moogle. You might want to play around more with the movement in FF. You can do some cool new stuff. The nominal bhop cap is lower than TFC, but you'll find you can go much faster if you're clever..
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #252
georgh

Gripes off the bat- The EMP grenades feel nerfed, for some reason.

The range that a sentry gun can detect an enemy seems to have been toned down from it's TFC counterpart.

HWGuy's minigun..... What the hell? Instead of a windup, you add overheating? I'd much rather have the old traditional windup AND decelerated heat-up for balance. Right now it seems.... bad. Just can't put my figner on it right now, but it's. bleagh.

Pyro's flamethrower range also seems kinda puny.

Other than that, it's a solid first release (all bugs aside) and it really captures the TFC feel while updating it for Source.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #253
Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistabeen
only an idiot would state such a thing if he hasn't been able to test both products.

I'll be testing both and most likely keep playing both if they are any good.

As far as the I have seen movies, both have their pro's and cons, but when it comes to actual gameplay and feel of the game you need to try it for yourself

i have played it, i even gave it a decent chance. bluntly put, it sucks. and my opinion hasnt changed a bit. controls are better in FF. Plus the absence of nades and sluggish weapons ( pyros and medics) compared to FF actually makes my opinion of it more horrid. heres a analog for you.

TF2 for FF, is like Pile of shit to dog = you just sniff it for a moment, and you either piss on it or leave it alone.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #254
Curlydave

My impression: I'm impressed. They recreated the TF/TFC feel, and improved some things. I could pick up on it instantly since I had played TFC and ETF so much in the past; everything was familiar. I'm surprised because recreating a feel like that is difficult when you're moving to a completely different engine. There are no obvious or game-breaking bugs, and the gameplay is solid. It does what it intended to do: Port TFC to the source engine and improve a few things. I expected a buggy, incomplete or broken release based on most Source mod initial releases, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that that wasn't the case.

The graphics are crude, but it's still a big upgrade from TFC. That being said, I can't see myself playing too much of it, except for for nostalgic reasons. This game caters to a very specific playerbase that I'm not a part of. FF's release date is unfortunate, as TF2 overshadows it with a much more polished and balanced game.

Last edited by Curlydave; 09-27-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #255
Don
D&A Member

A huge thank you to the developers for all of their hard work. I've played it for the second time today and I'm getting all nostalgic over the tfc days!! Really you should be proud of what you've created. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
What mod? FF is a big lie, the beta sucks, it's actually just HL2DM with stolen models. All the screenshots are Photoshopped by a paid artist while we all set back and laugh at you fags for believing us.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote