Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #21
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
chuck norris would kick both their asses in a single roundhouse kick to the head
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 AM   #22
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Story != essay! Credge fails!

But let's consider it in a less verbose way. Jimmy the Voodoo Priest has powers of the divine and the universe. Shamans have power over spirits. While spirits may have emotion and dedication, they simply do not have power over the universe and divine.

Vodou Priest would win.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Story != essay! Credge fails!

But let's consider it in a less verbose way. Jimmy the Voodoo Priest has powers of the divine and the universe. Shamans have power over spirits. While spirits may have emotion and dedication, they simply do not have power over the universe and divine.

Vodou Priest would win.
Lolwut.

sto·ry 1 (stôr, str)
1. An account or recital of an event or a series of events, either true or fictitious

es·say (s, -s)
1. (s)
a. A short literary composition on a single subject, usually presenting the personal view of the author.

Weird. I wrote an essay describing the views of the author (me) that neither would win in the format of a story. People often get confused that the two are not exclusive.

Also, voodoo is all about worshiping the right spirit for the right ritual, much like what many shaman believed they had to do from an incredible number of different tribes and religions. The difference being that shamans usually worshiped an animal spirit while voodoo priests usually worshiped things like the spirit of the dead (Baron Samedi, who looks like this according to american voodoo lore... I'm clueless about the 'real shit'). Neither really go into the holy or the divine and both would be without Cleric spells in a real D&D game. They would both play similarly to the Druid with the priest having some necromancer curses, charms, and possibly a raise dead spell.

But this isn't D&D.

A shaman would, naturally, have more strength than the priest while the priest would have more agility. The reason? Shaman are generally thought to be part of barbaric tribes while priests, specifically of the voodoo variety are known for being wiry. This already gives a classic fight of strength versus agility.

But to go even further, a shaman... a proper shaman, could 'turn into a bird or a bear, or whatever'. He could also summon the spirit of these animals to gain increased strength, speed, etc. A voodoo priest HAS to have a part of the person, either a part of their body or something personal, in order to cause harm to the other person. Once they have that, they can do as they please AS LONG AS the person actually believes in it. This is the problem with voodoo.

Because of that, anyone that doesn't believe that a voodoo priest has power means that they can not be effected by anything he does. The shaman, because of the nature of the magic he wields, does not have this requirement. He, of course, has lesser magic so the balance is there.

But this isn't D&D.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
I have no clue what's going on in here.
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan10la
I have no clue what's going on in here.
Dianetics, my friend.

Ronald Reagan

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
SiSCoS

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
Alright, here is how it goes!
Coming from a true southern ragin cajun can tell yall about some voodoo kicking some ass of a shaman!

First off, the voodoo has its own arena football team. *cough* New Orleans Voodoo *cough*

Voodoo can kick the shaman's ass anytime. "Gris Gris" is a lucky charm of the voodoo which protects the wearer from evil and brings them luck! With those two things together the voodoo priest is invincible!
SiSCoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #27
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Ok, after carefull consideration, I think Credge wins on the strength of his second to last post (#26).

I officially hand over the title of Loremaster to Credge. Everyone give him a hand.

Thanks to everyone else who participated, and if you have any questions about FF, or the history of FF, please ask Credge.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Ok, after carefull consideration, I think Credge wins on the strength of his second to last post (#26).

I officially hand over the title of Loremaster to Credge. Everyone give him a hand.

Thanks to everyone else who participated, and if you have any questions about FF, or the history of FF, please ask Credge.
What the fuck? No, what the fuck is this shit?

You do not have a proper Loremaster challenge over like 3 fucking days.

It needs to last at least one lunar year. I'm pretty sure it's in the Loremaster handbook. But you probably lost it, because you are a charlatan and a lizardman.

I wish to bring down the epic thunder and throw my hat into the ring. Come on, two fucking applicants? If this were Thunderdome maybe, but Thunderdome this is not!

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Imhi has a point, you are a lizardman.

Ronald Reagan

Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #30
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Dammit, you should have spoken up sooner. I'll do it, but only because it's you, Ihmhi.

You better make this good.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #31
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Oh, score. Okay. Essay follows, then.

= = = =

One might assume that in these modern times we are no longer in need of spiritual guidance. The magic of the stars and the bunny hops can be explained away by things like astronomy and glitches in physics engines.

A glitch... or destiny?

I think many of us have seen movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. A staple of Chinese film (as well as their legends and culture) is the nature of qigong. Qi (sometimes "chi") is typically translated as "breath", or "life force", and "gong" is translated as discipline or work. Therefore, qigong would mean something like "Work of the life force". The Force, one might say - only it's Chinese and it showed up a few thousand years before George Lucas borrowed it largely for Star Wars.

Qigong is a real life practice, although it is largely similar to the concepts of Tai Chi. Simple, meditative movement. That is terribly boring and not nearly as fantastic as the qigong of legends and cinema.

Do you, as a Scout, not feel akin to the Imperial Guard in classic kung fu films, gliding through the air and masterfully cutting down your foes with your crowbar? Do you, as a Medic, not feel akin to the ancient healers - the divine-on-earth who could cure nearly any malady (well, except Sniper tags) with but a single touch of their skilled hands?

Perhaps you burn as fire does, setting the world ablaze as a Pyro. Your fiery spirit is glorified through your flamethrower and your napalm. You bring purity to the world through charred Scouts foolish enough to get too near to you.

Every one of us has played the game - be it the game of life or the game of Fortress Forever - and we've seen the moments where everything just works out.

You've heard sportscasters, coaches, and players talk about it. The Zone. Your movements are perfect. Time slows down. Everyone else can't keep up with you - whether it's your sheer speed, or your jumping height, or your dextrous ball work - ball work that would put Jenna Jameson to shame.

If you have played this game or its predecessors, you have seen these moments. A small portion of you have experienced these moments. A fortunate few live them every day.

The Spy who runs past three Soldiers (all pelting one another with their rockets) because they each believe the Spy is one of the other two.

The Scout who glides over the flag - faster than the SG can turn, faster than the Demo can det his pipes - and makes it clean out of the base before anyone on defense can blink.

The lone Demo who makes it through the Dustbowl gates (impossibly dodging spam and Sniper bullets) and MIRVs the SG.

One has to wonder - is this really something special? Did you stop that Medic going for your flag because you're that good or because he messed up? Did you blow past the enemy defense with a conc because you've practiced so hard or because sheer luck is on your side? Who knows.

Maybe they're not all that special in that sense - not magical or otherworldly. It's a combination of luck, skill, and the other guy fucking up. It might make it less interesting to think of it that way, but it's not any less special when it happens - when you live it.

Do we see these moments every day? No.

But we live for them.

= = = =

The only thought running through my head while writing this was:

Don't make this sound like the Communist Manifesto.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #32
SiSCoS

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
I HAD FUCKING PICTURES NO FAIR!
SiSCoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #33
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Too.... much....nerdiness..... must go outside!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #34
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
Too.... much....nerdiness..... must go outside!
Nerds also include gamers. Boom.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #35
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
Nerds also include gamers. Boom.
Luckily I'm not one of those people who sit there refreshing the main page on a video game mod forum. No not on of those people at all, ahem, ....
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #36
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

God damnit Ihmhi, that wasn't an essay about Voodoo Priests or Shaman Witchdoctors at all!

You've wasted all our time. Credge's title stands.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #37
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
awww. judging soley by ihmhi's length of what he wrot,e he should have won. i didnt read any of it, TL;DR
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #38
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Much <3 for imhi, but tl;dr
You shouldve just copy/pated from a communist manifesto, im thinkin about doing that for a school project, lmao
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #39
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Just some FYI, if anyone asks me how BHopping works in the FF universe, I'll slit my wrists.

Ronald Reagan

Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
GuRu

Guru you must be a turd!
GuRu is offline   Reply With Quote