Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #161
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
time on the forums doesnt matter, what does though, is time available, ie are you gonna go "lol i got into the beta" then fuck off. i think inactive beta testers should be constantly pestered into coming back.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #162
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
time on the forums doesnt matter, what does though, is time available, ie are you gonna go "lol i got into the beta" then fuck off. i think inactive beta testers should be constantly pestered into coming back.
Or replaced!
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #163
Lethal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
time on the forums doesnt matter, what does though, is time available, ie are you gonna go "lol i got into the beta" then fuck off.
Just checking for basic literacy filters out a surprising amount of those But it's much, much harder trying to predict who will stay around to the end, which is why you need a good list of people to fill in as necessary.
Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #164
skuLL

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I didn't put the open betas I was in, come one, everyone could be there.
skuLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #165
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuLL
Exactly Skull, how many people do you think will put down games like DoD and CS, which had open beta for years?

What I see lots of now are the people showing up and saying they've been following since 2004, read every day but never wanted to post. Well, registering when you find the site is cool, registering the day the beta is announced, meh, looks like someone just hopped in to get beta access. But hey, we need non-TF fans too, so there is no discrimination, I just don't like it when people attempt to play up their own involvement when its obvious there is none.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #166
exoskeletaL

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Send a message via AIM to exoskeletaL
or are u saying that becuase ur join date is jan 05? how do we know u really give a shit?
exoskeletaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #167
whuh?
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuLL

what about betas that were closed but then opened to get more interest in the game(like quake wars)?
whuh? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #168
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
I'm on the QA team for a CoD2 project

Old 07-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #169
Arimanio

my oppinion:
I think many people have better things to do as posting stuff like: "your new avarter looks good" and stuff like that.

I further think it is pointless to post every mediaupdate the same line: "Great work guys, keep it up" even if you were able to write 100 words about it. A line of detailed feedback would help way more and encourage people as this statement.
I for my part hate it to scroll through the forum pages over pages to read stupid stuff. I once played a MassiveMultiplayerBrowserBassedOnlineGame on a very high level and we forced our members only to post important information. We did that because some people missed important infos, because of the many senseless posts.

I for my part, do not spend every second i have in here, hanging arround doing nothing. That wont help anybody.
I had an account before everybody had to register and since then I had no reason to create a new one.

See you.
Arimanio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #170
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeletaL
or are u saying that becuase ur join date is jan 05? how do we know u really give a shit?
HAHAHA, if hes been here for 2 years its quite obvious he gives a shit isnt it? :P
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #171
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronius
HAHAHA, if hes been here for 2 years its quite obvious he gives a shit isnt it? :P
no it's not
he might just hang around and like to chat and post and communicate...it deson't mean, that is is really interested in the game.
i signed up in so many forums over the years.
I'm probably a member of at least 5 linux forums, because I needed help form time to time, some of those memberships are older than 2 years, but gusss what, I don't really care...

Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #172
magzy

Arimanio, the forums are here to be used for discussion. I realise most of the stuff in here is useless crap, but thats their here for. Plus, im sure the developers appreciate people saying they are doing a good job, its encouraging. Imagine how boring and dead these forums would be if people only posted important stuff. Some people would never get to talk.
magzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #173
Thanatos

you are right...but i think his point is, that writing in the forum is saying nothing(or at least not much) about how good of a beat tester you might be

Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #174
SAM
Stupid Idea Mill

Class/Position: D-pyro/demo O-scout/demo/pyro
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: TPF
Quote:
The thing is that beta testing positions are one of the few true catch-22 positions left in the world. Testers without previous experience are almost never hired and open betas are therefore the only way for most people to get experience short of having just happened to be around for years and be good friends with the dev team. I think what you did and how the beta functioned is more relevant than whether it was open or closed. I was in the closed supcom beta and that had already progressed to the point of checking for balance and just finding the very very rare remaining showstoppers, but when I was in the open planetside and raven shield betas I spent more time writing reports than actually playing. It all really comes down to the state of the game and what you did while you were there imho.

Last edited by SAM; 07-22-2007 at 07:15 PM.
SAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #175
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM
The thing is that beta testing positions are one of the few true catch-22 positions left in the world. Testers without previous experience are almost never hired and open betas are therefore the only way for most people to get experience short of having just happened to be around for years and be good friends with the dev team. I think what you did and how the beta functioned is more relevant than whether it was open or closed. I was in the closed supcom beta and that had already progressed to the point of checking for balance and just finding the very very rare remaining showstoppers, but when I was in the open planetside and raven shield betas I spent more time writing reports than actually playing. It all really comes down to the state of the game and what you did while you were there imho.
spoof eh ? so u liek teh pr0n ?
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #176
Oooch

I may have just hopped in and signed up, and yes it was to join the beta, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to help forward the mod, or that I shouldn't be a part of it, it's like saying someone who is developing Halo 3, who is just doing it for the money, shouldn't be part of the game because he isn't doing it just for the fact he's getting paid, any one of these applications could be from a very experienced beta tester who just wanted to help out this mod. So I say good luck to anyone who decides they want to help this team out, as with any mod, they need all the help they can get.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #177
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoskeletaL
he has been a beta tester for months and is one of the people helping to read and sort all your applications, id sure hope he gives a shit!
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #178
magzy

lol. This topic is starting to get more into a "why I should, and you shouldnt, be in the beta."

To try and lighten the mood, what would be the first thing you would do, should you get into the beta?

I think mine would be go medic / scout and test some concs
magzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #179
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Your join date has nothing to do with whether or not you get into the beta. I don't care if you just joined now and never even heard of the mod before, and are just here to beta test. If your app is good and you seem to know what the hell you're doing, you stand a chance.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #180
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

If i used the wrong subject, I don't have a chance do I?

>.<
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote