Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Seattle Blackouts

I know there were threads about the steam servers being down already BUT I wanted to write this story 'cause I was IN the blackout and I had all sorts of fun and wacky adventures, most of which involve being huddled in the dark shivering and crying.

Last I heard, there were 1.5 million people without power initially, and 7 people have died so far. Several from running generators in their homes and suffocating on carbon monoxide.

The power went out at around 11:00 PM thursday night, after 90+ mph winds. That breaks all the records around here, btw. I don't know WHAT was going on. This comes right on the heels of a record rainstorm some weeks before that caused flooding, and then snow in November (which is absurd, for our climate). So me and some friends immediately beat it to the local Sherry's diner which would have power untill sometime early in the morning. The roof is leaking, but the wind had died down by then.

The next morning I had to drive up 405 to go to the courthouse to argue a speeding ticket. I called ahead and the first thing the phone message says is that all district courthouses would be open. I get there and of course their power is out and they're closed. And thanks to the power outage and anomalous traffic (which is typically known as being nearly the worst in the country) it took me nearly an hour to get there. So I'm standing around looking stupid, along with a small crowd of other people who showed up thinking they'd be open.

A friend of mine in the area, Mikejer, calls nearly panicking because he can't get ahold of anyone, and his apartment is entirely dark. The starewell has no emergency lights or windows or anything and he's on the top floor. Fortunately, the courthouse was far enough away from the brunt of the storm that some of the stores in the area are open and I can pick up some batteries and coffee for my dad (with whom I'm staying for the holidays). So after stopping by home I drop by Mikejer's. In the mean time, he managed to get ahold of our other friend, Superjer, who has neither electricity NOR gas. This wouldn't be so bad but there were gas lines forming at all the gas stations with power or generators.

So the three of us spent all weekend having wacky adventures that mostly invovled driving up and down the freeway. I probably traveled 200 or more miles that weekend. Superjer got the LAST of the gas at one gas station at 1 am on saturday night, with a huge line of angry people behind him. Much of the time we hung out at Mikerjer's place and played DS games (I love the DS by the way). One time we drove far south enough to get back into a powered region and met up with our OTHER friend Aaronjer and eat a warm meal at an Outback.

One time one of us got the bright idea of using a power inverter/adapter thingy to hook up a projection screen and a Wii to Mikejer and Superjer's cars, and project it at a wall in Mikejer's underground parkinglot (which stayed warm). So that was an extra few miles of driving to look for open Radio Shacks, then a lot of buildup for nothing. It turns out that a car can't really power a 200 watt projection screen. But it was a dream.

We topped off the weekend with all four of us, Aaronjer, Superjer, Mikejer and myself, playing DS and occasionally recharging them in our cars. Aparently I'm way too good at tetris.

So anyway I managed to keep myself entertained through the disaster, and in the end that's all that really matters.

But I'm glad to have my beautiful internets back now.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
o_dr zoidberg

naw thats cute ^^
i feel like living through day after tomorrow and all people i dont like DIE.
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
o_yoda891

My power is back up, but my grandparents are still in the dark.

A family I know live's in an area where they don't expect power for at least three more days, and they were stuck without gas (car and household), so my Aunt had to go up and rescue them.

I'm not really going to complain though, I got to skip a day of school right before Holiday break. I would've aced the 4 tests I had anyways

My siblings and I played Tetris (DS) and board games for the majority of the time. Was actually quite fun.

I was slightly frustrated by PSE's response to the whole thing though. After nearly a day they were still saying that they were accessing damage, meanwhile parts of Seattle are already having their power restored.
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
o_pussyhunter

& there was this one time, at band camp...

(sorry, couldn't resist)
o_pussyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
o_ginger lord

When we had 90mph winds a few weeks ago a building fell over, that was interesting.

Not a single powercut though.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
o_broodingdude

Sometimes I'm glad I moved out of that area. I grew up in Bellingham and moved steadily soutwards... ended up in Tumwater before moving to Hawaii. Having lived in Everett and commuted the 405 daily, I know exactly what you are talking about.

But holy shit.... 90mph winds? That's gotta rip some roofs off. My brother was saying that the rain has been a lot heavier than normal.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The Hospitals are going to have a bumper crop of babies in October...better plan to steer clear of them if you can!
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
o_nezumi

Lol! Innoc, you're not the first person I've heard say that

Actually, my dad's girlfriend had just flown in from Tulsa Oklahoma for a visit the day the power went out. Her plane landed just as the windstorm was picking up steam.

Also, yikes brooding, you should have stopped somewhere between Bothell and Renton.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Also, yikes brooding, you should have stopped somewhere between Bothell and Renton.
I commuted from Everett to Bothell. That drive friggin SUCKED.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
o_vistirix

When did you all get your power? I just got mine yesterday and all they had to do was flip a switch. Srsly.
o_vistirix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
o_nezumi

I got power sunday at around 5:00. I think superjer is still without power in Issiquah.