Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Dragonfly

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Worth buying halflife 2 for Fortress Forever?

I was a huge tfcer, did lots of clanning and im thinking i want to play some FF. I played some of Halflife 2 and never really got hugely into it. But i suppose beating it would be something i could do if i got this game. 2 things. Could this crappy computer even run FF? Its specs are AMD turion 64, 1 gig of ram and Nvidia Geforce Go 6150 card. My good computer is fucked. Also what is the cheapest way of being able to play FF? And would the orange box be worth it? Haven't heard that much about the other games with it. Thanks alot

Someone might know of me... i played from maybe 2003-2006 with S-Crew, AtG, dVa(back when disasterzone was a big server if anyone remembers that pub lol), Avengers, AI(who still play in ugc tfc??) and more under the name Prodigy. I was mostly a pubber that got good so all of you hardcore clanners may not know me.

Last edited by Dragonfly; 10-01-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Ramono

There are lots of people who still got a extra copy of HL2 which they got with the orange box. I do at least, but its already reserved for a friend.

When you already have HL2 on your account and you order the orange-box (which I think many have done) You can give the HL2 to another steam account as a "Gift"

I think lots are still unused.

Anyone willing to help this guy out?
Ramono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Check out this thread:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=17512

Supposedly, if you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can get a game or two for free, including the Source SDK base, which is needed to play the mod.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
Check out this thread:

http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=17512

Supposedly, if you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can get a game or two for free, including the Source SDK base, which is needed to play the mod.
Im installing steam now hopefully this will work You think this comp will be able to run it? We will see i guess.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
right now im on a P4 2.4 Ghz with 512MB ram and Geforce 5500, and i can run FF. obviously my framerate suffers due to my garbage computer, but its playable. so you should be fine

also, if that Nvidia free game thinger doesnt work, the cheapest way to get the source sdk base (which you need to play ff) is to buy hl2dm. its like, $10.

hope to see you ingame soon!
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Dragonfly

Thanks alot guys. How many servers are there full usually on weeknights? And is there any bots around or is it all humans? Ive always wanted to try this mod since i quit tfc i had no idea there was a way around the needing hl2

Damn it didn't work. It says that it cannot connect to steam server right now. Any other way? I assume the HL2 demo wouldn't be enough or people would just use that. hm

Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Check your tools option and see if sdk base is listed. If so make sure it is installed.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
betterschindt
Retired FF Staff

my desktop is about the same specs as yours, athlon 1.4ghz 1024 ram and a crappy radion video card.
you will be able to run hl2 fine
and ff in 800x600 without a problem, any higher then that and youll have to lower settings..

so far about 2-3 servers a day
and no bots which is good, cause personally id rather see empty servers then full servers just to see 16 bots running around,
betterschindt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Sebhael

Class/Position: Pyro | O
Send a message via AIM to Sebhael Send a message via MSN to Sebhael Send a message via Yahoo to Sebhael
Not only FF.

There's enough mods, and custom content to rectify the $20 purchase for Hl2 (would recommend the orange box, since you get a hell of a lot more for your money.)
Sebhael is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
$h4m3

And apparently portal is the shit. On top of that you can customise your sounds like 420 of AE did so that the turret guns from portal are your FF sounds.

ie: When a gun locks on instead of the beep it says "I see youuuu" and when it blows up there isn't an explosion sound, it says "Goodbye..."
$h4m3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Digital_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I was a huge tfcer, did lots of clanning and im thinking i want to play some FF. I played some of Halflife 2 and never really got hugely into it. But i suppose beating it would be something i could do if i got this game. 2 things. Could this crappy computer even run FF? Its specs are AMD turion 64, 1 gig of ram and Nvidia Geforce Go 6150 card. My good computer is fucked. Also what is the cheapest way of being able to play FF? And would the orange box be worth it? Haven't heard that much about the other games with it. Thanks alot

Someone might know of me... i played from maybe 2003-2006 with S-Crew, AtG, dVa(back when disasterzone was a big server if anyone remembers that pub lol), Avengers, AI(who still play in ugc tfc??) and more under the name Prodigy. I was mostly a pubber that got good so all of you hardcore clanners may not know me.

the only reason i ever bought hl2 was for FF.
Digital_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
It isn't only apparent, portal IS the shit.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
right now im on a P4 2.4 Ghz with 512MB ram and Geforce 5500, and i can run FF. obviously my framerate suffers due to my garbage computer, but its playable. so you should be fine

also, if that Nvidia free game thinger doesnt work, the cheapest way to get the source sdk base (which you need to play ff) is to buy hl2dm. its like, $10.

hope to see you ingame soon!
hl2dm is only $5. Cheapest game to buy to get FF if you don't have any HL2 games/mods already.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
Dragonfly

Huzzah! Its installing now i guess it just couldn't connect before. Thanks guys ill see you on there tonight sometime after 10!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h4m3
On top of that you can customise your sounds like 420 of AE did so that the turret guns from portal are your FF sounds.

ie: When a gun locks on instead of the beep it says "I see youuuu" and when it blows up there isn't an explosion sound, it says "Goodbye..."
how the fuck do u do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
All the ways of getting FF for free aside, HL1 and 2 have got to be the 2 biggest and best deals in all of gaming history.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote