Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 03-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
tomahawk

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Team Fortress: Rethink

Ok, so at the end of the day when my brain is a bit burnt out instead of watching TV or something, what I've been doing recently is thinking about how I would rethink and rebuild the classic TF classes. Please comment about my ideas!

Disclaimer 1- These ideas are not set in stone, and the purpose is to be a thought exercise.

Disclaimer 2- This has nothing to do with Fortress-Forever. While thinking and writing this I tried to picture how these ideas would relate to QWTF, and then I would look at the other versions of TF for inspiration.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
tomahawk

Respawning

General-
1. I generally tried to picture how these classes and their interactions would play out on 2Fort4.
2. The game play I envisioned was more of an organized clan level play in which the team members actively worked together.

Respawns-
Defense:
Scenario: An Engineer builds a level 3 sentry in the flag room. An attacking force works it's way into the flag room only to be repelled by the Engineer and his lvl 3 sentry. However, they manage to destroy the sentry in the process.
Instant respawns- Before the Engineer can rebuild to level 3, the flag room is being attacked again.
[Risk vs Reward] The reward for successfully defending the flag and killing the attackers is... 15 seconds later they're back fully armed before the defenses can be rebuild. That's not good. The reward for failing to overcome the defense is instantly being given another chance at the flag, this time with better odds.
Timed respawns (20 sec)- The Engineer has more time to rebuild.
[Risk vs reward] The attackers have a penalty for failing. However, now, there is a steady stream of attackers spawning and rejoining the fight. This leads to a very disorganized attack, and frustration for the player.
Respawn waves (20 sec)-
The Engineer will possibly have enough time to fully rebuild, but not always.
[Risk vs Reward] The attackers will have a penalty for failing, which would rarely be the maximum time of the wave. In addition, when the wave respawns the players that respawn will have a ready build attack force ready to retry their attack.

Attack:
Scenario: An Engineer builds a level 3 sentry in the flag room. An attacking force works it's way into the flag room and successfully kill the Engineer and his lvl 3 sentry and grab the flag.
Instant respawns- The surviving attackers grab the flag and head for the exit.
[Risk vs reward] The player that was the Engineer instantly respawns as a combat based class, with full health, full armor, and fully armed.
Timed respawns (20 sec)- The surviving attackers grab the flag and head for the exit.
[Risk vs reward] The Engineer has a penalty for failing. The remaining defenders must rally and work together to stop their flag from being taken. Waiting for a full 20 seconds can lead to the frustration of the waiting player.
Respawn waves (20 sec)- The surviving attackers grab the flag and head for the exit.
[Risk vs reward] The successful attackers will possibly have enough time to escape ( or get closer to the exit), but not always. The defenders will have a penalty for failing, which would rarely be the maximum time of the wave. In addition, when the wave respawns the players that respawn will have a ready built force.

Conclusion- In my mind a 20 second respawn wave is the best option for balancing the Risk vs Reward of being successful or failing. Further, it supports the teamwork aspect of both attack and defense.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
tomahawk

Scout

Quick Summery: Fast little bastard who's sole purpose is to cap the flag. The Scout isn't concerned with fighting the enemy. He's all about getting in, getting past any surviving enemy, and getting out with the flag. No direct violence here, only a few distracters and the movement abilities to get in and out.

Weapons:
1. Conc Ray Gun (CRG)-
Shooting an enemy with this gun will not do health damage to the enemy, instead, it will induce the conc effect onto the enemy for the length of the attack X2.
For every .25 seconds the ray is held on an enemy the strength of the conc effect increases.
2. Caltrops-
Dropped behind the Scout these barbs slightly injure any player that steps on them. Reducing the affected player's movement speed by -10%.

Grenade:
1. Flash-bangs-
These grens cause a blinding light and deafening bang. These effects last 3 seconds.
Looking away from the blast will reduce the blinding effect's intensity and duration.
Scout is immune to these effects.

Abilities:
1. Parkour-
Wall jump
Mantling
Baseball slide
Hurdling of half-walls
Increased non-damaging fall distance
2. Speed-boost stim Implant
Scout is given 1 speed boosting stim which boosts the player's speed by 10% for 3 seconds
Can not be used on other players.

------------
What do you think? How do you think this fits with the Scout's purpose?
Any suggestions or questions? Find anything that doesn't make sense?

Last edited by tomahawk; 03-16-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
tomahawk

Buff-Bot

Role objective:
-Support of the attacking force.

Quick Summery:
The Buff-Bot's role is totally support based. Giving buffs and ammo resupply, with some AOE attacks.
Non-humanoid Robot. Picture R2-D2 or Clap-trap.

Weapons:
1. Grenade: Choke- Chokes and gags players at -5hp / second. Smoke lasts 10 seconds.
2. Grenade: Smoke- Discharges a smoke that cannot be seen though and conceals movement.

Grenade:
1. Flash bang

Abilities:
1. Ammo Re-Supply
Carries a large amount of spare ammo.
Automatically distributes to nearby team members (hold button to distribute).
2. Buffs (all one time usage that re-generates over 5-10 seconds)
a. Health- +50% of class max (single target)
b. Healing Spray Radius- 360 aerosol mist that heals all close team members (and disguised spy types).
c. Speed- +50% of class max (single target)
d. Armor- +50% of class max (single target)
3. Turtle mode- Retracts his appendages into his protective armor. While in turtle mode he takes no damage, but cannot move. Turtle mode lasts for 10 seconds.
4. Self destruct-
Player can initiate a 10 second self-destruct countdown timer. If the player is destroyed before the countdown reaches 0 he dies with no explosion. If the countdown reaches 0 the player will explode as a det-pack would, and immediately respawn bypassing any respawn counter.
Notes:
Cannot buff himself.
Cannot carry the flag.

Last edited by tomahawk; 03-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
tomahawk

Sniper

Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

ok, well... now you don't get to read about my sniper redesign. My post has no URLs and I have no idea what words may be tripping the filter.

Last edited by tomahawk; 03-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.