Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
A1win
Nutcracker

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to A1win
How about AvD with only engies deffing?

I got this idea some time ago... An inside AvD map with engineers defending. There should be lots of mechanisms etc to help them, such as toggleable hatches over windows so you can build SG behind it and then open it, and close when it's about to break down and so on. Maybe some traps too, breakable/fixable stuff etc...

Offense shouldn't have classes that take down sentries easily: scout, sniper, medic, spy... I'm suggesting they'd have soldiers, demomen and HWGs (pyro isn't really the best against engineers). Nail grenade is quite crazy too, but secondary grenades should probably be difficult to obtain for the attackers.

There isn't much of a plan other than this yet, but would be nice to hear ideas from others. Would this even work properly? Would the map favor the engies or the attackers if nothing was made to balance it? Anything really...
A1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
I'm expecting chilledsanity to come and say Soldiers would kill all the SGs and Engies, to be honest

I don't know, but to me it looks like it would be a bit boring... I mean, the greatness of AvD is the pressure you have to put as O and hold as D. With a team full of Engineers, you can only wait until they come because your primary weapon can't move, and your best anti-cap weapon are the dispensers, which are destroyable...
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Matt
Offical Pain In Your Ass.

Class/Position: D-Soilder O-Scout
Gametype: The fun kind
Affiliations: Or. FYC
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Matt
Great idea,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
I don't know, but to me it looks like it would be a bit boring... I mean, the greatness of AvD is the pressure you have to put as O and hold as D. With a team full of Engineers, you can only wait until they come because your primary weapon can't move, and your best anti-cap weapon are the dispensers, which are destroyable...
I agree with Firefox11, It would be rather boring. Although I like the idea of traps or like shield cover while building, or just something that can help the engi out more. Engi's used to pwn fucking ass but since 2.1 everyone got better, and sg lost alot. (i.e. Targeting range, cloaked spy, the push etc..) So maybe we someone can interpret some of your ideas into a new map.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
groovyf
In the clouds

Reminds me of the classwars events EARTHWALKER used to run at Wireplay in the good old days
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
A1win
Nutcracker

There are many ways defense can be buffed in an AvD map just by modifying the map layout. One idea also was that instead of capping a flag, the offense should use demomen to blow up some command centers etc. Or maybe they'd just make the routes shorter or something...

Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Firefox11

CZ2 style maybe?

Though I still think that once the SGs fall, there's no way the Defense could set them up again, unless you give them tons of EMPs to clear the area D=

Maybe I'm a bit close minded though ;D

Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
A1win
Nutcracker

The point is the whole team is engineers, you can't just blow all the SGs up at the same time. Some build them in front line, some cover the next step and once the front line goes, those engies build theirs behind the next line etc. The whole route should have lots of good spots for building SGs.

Not CZ2 style, I meant there would be command centers instead of capture points and you blow one after another like capping in dustbowl. Maybe they could also be shot down with any weapons, but DP would just be the fastest way, so demomen wouldn't be required to blow them up. That would allow any attacker to do it, though, so maybe flag is better afterall.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Firefox11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1win
Not CZ2 style, I meant there would be command centers instead of capture points and you blow one after another like capping in dustbowl. Maybe they could also be shot down with any weapons, but DP would just be the fastest way, so demomen wouldn't be required to blow them up. That would allow any attacker to do it, though, so maybe flag is better afterall.
Yeh I know what you meant, I was making a suggestion here ;D

To be honest, the best way to see if it works (even though it could be a pain) is to make a really simple map that works and test it with a bunch of people, as an alpha stage test. If one way doesn't work too well, move on to the second, etc.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
A1win
Nutcracker

Yeah, that's a good idea. I just need my video card back, hopefully next week. I'll try to put something up before that and then see if I can get a server and some people for testing

edit: On another thought, this is yet another of those great big ideas that'll end up to my unfinished map folder (which is the same one I save all my maps) with 99% probability. I'll try something smaller. Feel free to use this idea if you wish.

Last edited by A1win; 09-21-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I distinctly remember this existing in TFC, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

The map had 3 areas, 2 teams. 1 Engy, the other scouts, medics, etc.

Engies could build their sentries, and had doors they could open to fuck them up. It was a pretty fun map.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
I distinctly remember this existing in TFC, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

The map had 3 areas, 2 teams. 1 Engy, the other scouts, medics, etc.

Engies could build their sentries, and had doors they could open to fuck them up. It was a pretty fun map.

Is the map you're thinking of listed here?
http://www.planetfortress.com/jmcstf...ngineerwar.htm
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
engies vs spies ftw.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
Ramones

There is a TFCmap a bit like that. sentrage_beta i think.

engineers build sentrys in rooms which they can open and close. snipers are attackers. engineers are teleported after a build phase to a large room with open/close buttons on top of the map, they can see everything because the floor is one-way-transparent. As an attacker you have to press a button at the end of the map. You can also snip the sgs.

The map is great and 100% playable.
Ramones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...=ff_engysunite

Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Firefox11

Well, but Engis Unite is neither AvD nor has only Engies versus other classes...

=|?