Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #61
o_etzell

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
"The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire"

"Friendly fire isn't."

-Opposing Force Manual
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #62
o_voipme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
"War does not determine who is right, but only who is left"
Somewhat adding to that...

Quote:
The past is told by those who win.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #63
o_frenchtoast

"To be is to do"-somebody famous that I forgot

"To do is to be"-another person that's famous that I forgot

"Scooby dooby doo"-Scooby Doo

"Do be do be do"-Sinatra
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #64
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas 'Swish' Reemer
Wake up bitch! You're my new best friend!
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #65
o_thedarkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you will become happy, and if you get a bad one, you will become a philosopher.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 AM   #66
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you will become happy, and if you get a bad one, you will become a philosopher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Soul
If you want to be happy for the rest of your wife, never make a pretty woman your wife, but from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you!
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #67
o_robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.intouch.org/myintouch/mighty/portraits/jim_elliot_213678.html
Jim Elliot[/url]]"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/c_s_lewis.html
C.S. Lewis[/url]]A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/c_s_lewis.html
C.S. Lewis[/url]]Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Quote:
C.S. Lewis[/url]]Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.
And finally, probably the cleverest comeback ever:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes, replying to 'Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of the pox!'
That, my Lord, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #68
o_thedarkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
Quote:
C.S. Lewis[/url]]Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
Well, that's a dumb statement. Whether or not christianity is true, its followers' actions still affect the course of the world's development. It could be completely BS and still be fairly (but not infinitely) important.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #69
o_broodingdude

"Ah PITY THE FOO!!" B.A. Barrackus
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #70
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, that's a dumb statement. Whether or not christianity is true, its followers' actions still affect the course of the world's development. It could be completely BS and still be fairly (but not infinitely) important.
You miss the point TDO. Lewis was referring to the act of Faith (Christianity specifically) and it's impact on the afterlife for each individual. I think his statement is right on the money.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #71
o_ghroth

Quote:
Those that can, do.

Quote:
Those that cant, teach.
george bernard shaw
o_ghroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 AM   #72
o_deadly furby

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You miss the point TDO. Lewis was referring to the act of Faith (Christianity specifically) and it's impact on the afterlife for each individual. I think his statement is right on the money.

Never argue with a fool. People listening may not be able to tell the difference.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #73
o_robg

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lewis is referring to the fact that if Christianity is not true, then we shouldn't give it a second thought. But if it is true, then it should be the single most overriding thing in a person's life.

It can't be half-true. Christianity says mankind is in a mess because of things it has done wrong (sin), and while people are constantly trying to earn their way to God (whether directly in a legalistic religion) or unknowingly (by wanting to be a "good person", wanting forgiveness, wanting fulfillment, wanting to be remembered etc), they can't. So God's solution was this: He would come as a man (but still fully God), live the life we couldn't and die a death he shouldn't have to die, as a perfect sacrifice for what WE did wrong, a sacrifice that is credited to us the moment we accept Jesus and live for Him.

Now, that doesn't leave much room for leeway. If it's true, then we need to get in on it. If it's not true, then it's utterly worthless and deceptive. What it cannot be is "true for you, but not true for me".

And THAT is what Lewis is saying.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #74
o_thedarkone

Fine, then I'll revise my statement to say that Lewis' use of the word 'important' was stupid.

If christianity is bunk (which I think it is) then yes, believers spent their lives praying to nothing. That doesn't mean that the idea wasn't important. The actions of people who believe have affected the course of human history.

Yes, they shouldn't have wasted their time on it, but unless a belief is so abstract that it doesn't affect someone's day-to-day actions, an idea can still be important even if it's 100% wrong.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #75
o_general levy

For the record Lewis was a staunch Christian and his Chronicles of Narnia had a lot of Christian symbolism, though he claimed they did not (liar :P)
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #76
o_bluppfisk

should be T.F. Lewis tbh
o_bluppfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #77
o_deadly furby

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lewis is referring to the fact that if Christianity is not true, then we shouldn't give it a second thought. But if it is true, then it should be the single most overriding thing in a person's life.

It can't be half-true. Christianity says mankind is in a mess because of things it has done wrong (sin), and while people are constantly trying to earn their way to God (whether directly in a legalistic religion) or unknowingly (by wanting to be a "good person", wanting forgiveness, wanting fulfillment, wanting to be remembered etc), they can't. So God's solution was this: He would come as a man (but still fully God), live the life we couldn't and die a death he shouldn't have to die, as a perfect sacrifice for what WE did wrong, a sacrifice that is credited to us the moment we accept Jesus and live for Him.

Now, that doesn't leave much room for leeway. If it's true, then we need to get in on it. If it's not true, then it's utterly worthless and deceptive. What it cannot be is "true for you, but not true for me".

And THAT is what Lewis is saying.
Never argue with a fool. People listening may not be able to tell the difference.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 12:31 AM   #78
o_broodingdude

What was that old saying?

"Wow them with brilliance or baffle 'em with bullshit." - ???
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #79
o_robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby

Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #80
o_robg

And to move onto people who have a clue and actually presented an argument:

Quote:
If christianity is bunk (which I think it is) then yes, believers spent their lives praying to nothing. That doesn't mean that the idea wasn't important. The actions of people who believe have affected the course of human history.
I see what you mean, but that doesn't make Christianity important, just the people's actions important (and possibly the people themselves). Now, while I can't imagine people such as Martin Luther King, Lord Shaftsbury, Mother Theresa and Paul Brand not being utterly driven by something more than a random thought in their heads, if Christianity is false then it is still not Christianity which gives meaning to their actions, but their actions themselves.

Of course, I would contend that anyone who possibly thinks these people simply did what they did out of the goodness of their hearts is suffering from an unbelievable naivete, but that's just my opinion