Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
It's subtle, I'm not too surprised you didn't get it. I'm sure I've told you this before. The word you were looking for, is not they're, but their. There's a subtle difference that I guess any fourth grader can get, well, except for you.
Hey, my education resulted in me getting a few typo's but not indulging in the "I wasn't challenged it's all your fault I'm a drugged out loser living in my parent's basement" mentality. I've been able to use my determination, independence, and education to get multiple degrees and a good career. I'll take typo's over the alternatives any day. GO FOURTH GRADERS!

Scuzzy

Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
YomMamasHouse

Elementary school and high school for me was one year after another or sheer boredom and mid 70's marks because I was essentially acquiring a mental stamp collection of useless facts, in between doing useless craft related projects. I think I could have easily learned some of the stuff in high school that I learned in elementary school and some of the stuff I am learning in University in high school, I just would need a more fitting style of teaching than cookie-cutter memorization. The main thing I needed was pressure more than anything, and the horrendously non-challenging curriculum was so unexciting I couldn't physically make myself work hard at it because I couldn't take it seriously.

The biggest problem for me and many other students was that the current education seems to tailor their curriculum to accommodate the unintelligent/unindustrious underbelly of the generation. I'm not saying that people with difficulties doing well in school should be cast aside but the real students should not have to waste their time learning stuff that is far below their individual caliber because that does not foster good work habits nor does it generate a passion for learning.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #23
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse View Post
The biggest problem for me and many other students was that the current education seems to tailor their curriculum to accommodate the unintelligent/unindustrious underbelly of the generation. I'm not saying that people with difficulties doing well in school should be cast aside but the real students should not have to waste their time learning stuff that is far below their individual caliber because that does not foster good work habits nor does it generate a passion for learning.
Ours wasn't that bad, we had tiered subjects, with 4 levels for each. Some kids did everyday math in Jr High, others did calculus. They did a fair job of tailoring it, but from what I've heard it's gone to shit now.

Scuzzy

Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #24
YomMamasHouse

I wish I had that, it wouldn't surprise me if the education board in our area declined that idea because it might hurt the lower tiered students feelings or some other ludicrous reason.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The value of the monotonous school work tedium is to prepare you for government service.

If you were "gifted" you should have gone to a private school, otherwise you're stuck with the same curriculum that has been approved for "no child left behind," as many students are.

I too was bored in high school, but as such, did not develop good study habits, as there was nothing I needed to study. The only thing that got me excited was my foreign languages classes, 4 years of spanish in high school was like a 1 hour break from being the smartest kid in the class. I enjoyed being thrust into a world that I knew nothing about.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #26
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
'Tis funny you say that, 'cause I've just started studying spanish and it's one of the first real things I've got jazzed about it high school.