Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #61
Spider-Waffle

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The only thing the map really needs is a good system for the neutral flags. I think it should require a timely effort to retrieve flags from it. This way you can contest who gets the neutral flags.
Spider-Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #62
Doughnut-4|4-

I really wouldn't change too much about the map - it's pretty good as is. I don't mind replacing the elevators with ladders and/or stairs personally. I don't think I'd want to see the battlements connected at all. I think the old side stairway in the yard is a little silly. A teleporter to spawns might be nice if done propperly. I might recomment instead of moving the flags (if your hope is to stop wall splash damage) instead indent that wall behind the flags a little. By doing this you'd keep old game play like sg placements and defensive positions of Soldiers and HWs... you'd be creating a less extreme change to the map.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #63
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I agree with Waffleface; the neutral flags do need a change.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #64
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Do you think we might see this map implimented in the next patch? Or are there still some significant work to do?
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #65
Ohcanep

Aye it's been a while since we last heard about this one, too.
Ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #66
shadow
Retired FF Staff

make another bag in the enemy base for spies to resup.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #67
MikeQuist
Person

Depending on what I get done this weekend, I might have it ready by next week. It really depends on the devs opinion on whether it will be included.
MikeQuist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #68
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I'd like to see the battlements raised. They were too easy to conc on in TFC and resulted in mostly infect and run medics which was horrible if you were playing scout.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #69
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQuist
Depending on what I get done this weekend, I might have it ready by next week. It really depends on the devs opinion on whether it will be included.
Man i would love to see this map ported over to FF. The CTF concepts are ok. But the whole capping/defending 4, with a lot of open spaces, that results in winning rounds, it feels good to see that fade out to black that says "your team captured all the flags."

On a side note, does anyone know of any port of FF_casbah? Or even a remake of casbah?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #70
stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Maps were a minimum of 40 hours work in TFC, and now with FF you have shit like LUA to worry about. Just a heads up. Yeah, though it seems you are very aware how time-involving it will be, especially since you will be learning stuff as it goes.
well, i just made my pushcanyon in eh, less then 8 hours
but i still have to do the lua and the caprooms.
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #71
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Yeah but you have done a bit more mapping than Circ, and your map is not ridiculously detailed like some of these Source mapzors. d:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #72
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

@mikequist
Did you get a response from the devs yet regarding ff_flagrun? I would love to see FF version of this, especially if it retains the 4 flag capping, wide flag rooms, middle ground, and multiple entrances. Even a beta would be nice, if you're willing to leak it.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #73
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Man i would love to see this map ported over to FF. The CTF concepts are ok. But the whole capping/defending 4, with a lot of open spaces, that results in winning rounds, it feels good to see that fade out to black that says "your team captured all the flags."

On a side note, does anyone know of any port of FF_casbah? Or even a remake of casbah?
Long time ago me along with four other members here started on it and then everybody quit. Someone else picked up the job and then stopped. All of our work disappeared. And last I heard someone was starting from scratch on it but haven't heard anything in a year or so.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #74
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Long time ago me along with four other members here started on it and then everybody quit. Someone else picked up the job and then stopped. All of our work disappeared. And last I heard someone was starting from scratch on it but haven't heard anything in a year or so.
"It" = flagrun? or "it" = casbah?

If you mean casbah, that sucks to hear that. That map is so good, it's on my friend's dod server. LOL. Man, so many good maps that would increase player database if they were ported/remade.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #75
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Yea casbah. I'm not a great mapper especially on source. I was mostly just trying to lead the development of it but it was hard to keep people organized so it more or less was an abandoned project.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #76
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Hey does anyone know if there's a different remake of flagrun other than mikquist's? Or any map of similar "capture 4 flags" mode?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:54 AM   #77
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I know you're probably busy making this map right now, but maybe some pics would help?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #78
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Hey does anyone know if there's a different remake of flagrun other than mikquist's? Or any map of similar "capture 4 flags" mode?
Yeah, I made one for TFC. It never got past the beta test stage (flags were bugged and started disappearing) but I'm going to sourceify it (read: add curvy brush work). It's like flagrun except the capture points are scattered around the base instead of in one spot.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #79
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Yeah, I made one for TFC. It never got past the beta test stage (flags were bugged and started disappearing) but I'm going to sourceify it (read: add curvy brush work). It's like flagrun except the capture points are scattered around the base instead of in one spot.
oh snap. and there's more than 1 flag? like the game style is similar to flagrun, in that you need to cap all the flags in order to win, AND have to defend yours against the enemy team at the same time?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #80
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Yeah, there are four flags, but you get points for each one you have at your base. I think I'll give a bonus if you cap all four, because that should be pretty tough to accomplish.

I don't remember how flagrun was scored. Did you only get points for getting all the flags?

I think the original flagrun can be improved a lot without changing the layout much. For one thing there's a lot of empty space that serves no purpose, yet other parts seem claustrophobic. I'd open up the middle ground, but still provide plenty of cover. That's one thing I like about the original, especially playing pyro.

The neutral flag spawn is rather awkward. There's no need to put them in that tower. I've played in games where a flag returned and people forgot about it for a long time. It just sat there in the tower.

One thing I really don't like is how flagrun does the exits from the midfield into enemy territory. They are these big boring wide tunnels (with an obvious curve for vis-blocking) that aren't fun to attack or to defend. I'd either find a way to make them shorter or put in some spots for defeners and sentries, making them good spots for front-line defense.

Then you come out into an open area in which you have to either mulch or rush past any defenders. Sometimes it's used for first line defense, but since it's not a chokepoint, it's not often used. I probably wouldn't change this too much, because this space acts as a buffer between the offense and the flags. A little better cover and height variation would not hurt.

Then you go into the flag area which has very narrow stairs and corridors. I'd definitely open these up a bit because they are prone to blocking. With cloaking, a spy could really terrorize the defense in here.

The spawns are good, they are well connected to the rest of the map. There's a potential for spawn camping off the battlements, but it's not a big problem with the amount of traffic coming out.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote