Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga
8gb of ram is a HARDWARE limitation, not software.
The mobo will only take up to 8.
Even my high-end board with 4 Ram slots only takes up to 8.

If you want to go up to 8 gigs of ram, 64-bit Vista or 64-bit *nix.
Hardware suport for *nix can sometimes be iffy.
You can game via Wine.

I would stay away from 64-bit XP (it's down right shady).

I would also run a VM of 32-bit XP in case you ever need it. I have yet to test graph abilities under VM though.

Remember, you can't run 16-bit software on a 64-bit OS. (At least with windows)
you know they make 2gb dimm cards now right? so technically he could have 16gb if he wanted lol.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #22
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
you know they make 2gb dimm cards now right? so technically he could have 16gb if he wanted lol.
The motherboard said it has a limit of 8GB.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #23
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
So, my XP Pro 64 bit has been restarting itself a lot right before and after my previous posting - blue screen from a device driver. Bleh. I'm now running Ubuntu 64 bit w/ a 32 bit Win XP VM and have a dual boot of XP Pro 64 bit on here as well. I also just discovered the Unity mode in VMware Workstation 6.5 and it's fucking incredible. See the "Going to try Linux..." post for more details if you're interested.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #24
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Somehow install a Mac on it.

*flees*

Actually...

XP + 8 Gigs of RAM = perfect chance to laugh at everyone's slow computer... provided they don't have some insane processor or something.

...or Ubuntu, but software support for it sucks.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
no, hardware support does.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #26
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Could someone tell me where this idea that Vista is some super-heavy OS came from? Yeah, it's got a lot of bloat ware... but so does XP. Once you turn all of that crap off, XP only runs slightly lighter than Vista, both with a minimalist approach. The only thing wrong with Vista is that it's not good if you like to dick around with things.

Either way, if you're using a 64 bit OS, it's not mattering how bloated the OS is. You'll be able to run it as long as you have the RAM.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Could someone tell me where this idea that Vista is some super-heavy OS came from? Yeah, it's got a lot of bloat ware... but so does XP. Once you turn all of that crap off, XP only runs slightly lighter than Vista, both with a minimalist approach. The only thing wrong with Vista is that it's not good if you like to dick around with things.

Either way, if you're using a 64 bit OS, it's not mattering how bloated the OS is. You'll be able to run it as long as you have the RAM.
The idea came from the wal-mart shopper who decided it was a great idea to try to buy the $300 vista computer with 512mb ram. When they got it home they realized that it was using almost that much to run out of the box (retards).

Vista is NOT a bad OS. It's EXTREMELY stable! Sure it's had its problems, but so did XP pre SP2. I'm not sure if anyone can recall, but XP was a POS before SP2 came out. I, for one, clung to Windows 2000 like a jew to money. The thing people forget to realize is that this is 2008. XP came out in 2001 - remember the computers back then? 933mhz PIII or 1.1ghz P4 processors (I was running dual PIII 866's) - 1gb ram was about as much as you could get... and XP used 2x more than W2K used.

Computers now are exponentially faster than they were back then, thus the operating systems have become more advanced, have a 'prettier' interface, etc. That's simply the way things go.

Iggy: Get Vista Ultimate 64 (you could even probably download a pre-activated 'hacked' version off torrents) - not that I'm advocating that or anything - but you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Naw man, it seems like every other Windows release is a flop, or at least is overshadowed by the previous version.

Win 95 is as far back that I can remember, it did well, more well than 98, then 2k came out, and is still used today among many businesses, some people swear by it. Then win ME, which, to put it quite bluntly, sucked donky dick, then we have Win XP, yeah it's had some issues, but people loved it for the most part, and millions of people still use it. Vista just didn't click, as ram was still pretty pricey back when it was first released. They're trying to salvage it by using that Mojave project, but I honestly think it's too late for that. Finally, Windows 7 will probably be a lot more popular simply because under the hood, it's almost identical to vista, which means more hardware updates such as more ram, will not be a GIANT issue. Couple that with some pretty kickin features, I think the next big OS for Windows is going to be Windows 7.

/rambling

PS, till Linux has better support for the games I play, I will continue using my XP Pro, and I've not had many issues with it. Sure, there are a few things I fucking hate, usually small shit that every OS should have, like being able to rearrange your open windows on your task bar, etc..
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

The mohave project was just a terrible marketing ploy by Microsoft (everyone, look at this cool new OS, look at all the new features.. oh.. what's that? Haaaa gotcha! THis is just vista with a new interface.. gotcha!!) - it didn't make vista gain in popularity at all. People who hate vista still do. What get's the word out that vista isn't as bad as everyone says are message boards/forums like this.

Would I install vista on work computers for every day use? No. Vista still has some bugs and such that have yet to be worked out.

Windows 7 (which i just got done beta testing) is VERY similar to vista. The interface is almost the same; but with a 'redesigned' taskbar (more like a REALLY BAD knockoff of Mac OS 10.5). Truth be told, Microsoft is going to aim Windows 7 at businesses and corporate users because it uses the EXTREMELY stable Windows Server 2008 kernel, deploys a number of revolutionary remote access ideas (almost does away with the need for VPN to the workplace) and a few other futuristic features. The downside: it will still be too graphic intensive for many 3-4 yr old computers to run, well.

Bottom line: before people realize the benefit of Windows Vista, Microsoft will have already put out another OS, Windows 7, which will hog the spotlight and attract all the negative attention (still) for being a 'memory hog' or 'bloated'.

Give Vista Ultimate 64 a whirl.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality-
The mohave project was just a terrible marketing ploy by Microsoft (everyone, look at this cool new OS, look at all the new features.. oh.. what's that? Haaaa gotcha! THis is just vista with a new interface.. gotcha!!) - it didn't make vista gain in popularity at all. People who hate vista still do. What get's the word out that vista isn't as bad as everyone says are message boards/forums like this.

Would I install vista on work computers for every day use? No. Vista still has some bugs and such that have yet to be worked out.

Windows 7 (which i just got done beta testing) is VERY similar to vista. The interface is almost the same; but with a 'redesigned' taskbar (more like a REALLY BAD knockoff of Mac OS 10.5). Truth be told, Microsoft is going to aim Windows 7 at businesses and corporate users because it uses the EXTREMELY stable Windows Server 2008 kernel, deploys a number of revolutionary remote access ideas (almost does away with the need for VPN to the workplace) and a few other futuristic features. The downside: it will still be too graphic intensive for many 3-4 yr old computers to run, well.

Bottom line: before people realize the benefit of Windows Vista, Microsoft will have already put out another OS, Windows 7, which will hog the spotlight and attract all the negative attention (still) for being a 'memory hog' or 'bloated'.

Give Vista Ultimate 64 a whirl.
I used my Vista Beta DVD as a frisbie.

If you really just want to ditch XP, make sure your CPU can support SSE2(Atleast).
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in...llation_Guides

My PC is running Fedora, XP-64bit and OS X 10.5(Leopard)
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
I used my Vista Beta DVD as a frisbie.

If you really just want to ditch XP, make sure your CPU can support SSE2(Atleast).
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in...llation_Guides

My PC is running Fedora, XP-64bit and OS X 10.5(Leopard)
vista beta.. comon ricey. at least input something useful to this conversation.

Where the hell have you been? I thought you died.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicality-
vista beta.. comon ricey. at least input something useful to this conversation.

Where the hell have you been? I thought you died.

I did.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
I did.