Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
...and TF1.5 was just a re-name, being the "1.5" between TF and TF2. it wasnt an actual patch, silly skanky!
aye, but the rename was with the same patch that added new models, and since its easier to remember it as "when tfc became tf 1.5" than "build 1.1.0.1 (or whatever the fuck number it was)", i just call it tf 1.5. so
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #42
eva01

Hey Johnny, I definitely recognize your name from ETF, and I like FF too. Things I miss:
Building a sentry on anything with a small ledge or a lamp.
Soldier's nail gren
More powerful medic nailgun
Bunnyhopping speed, and overall faster gameplay.

But, I like how the pyro isn't as useless a class anymore. The added features to the spy. Soldier's reloading rockets are easier.

Btw, is there anyone still playing ETF? The few times I checked, all the servers were empty. I eventually deleted ETF to make room on my HD.
eva01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 AM   #43
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01
Btw, is there anyone still playing ETF? The few times I checked, all the servers were empty. I eventually deleted ETF to make room on my HD.
ETF is rarely played anymore. You can see the 4 ETF servers left on TFX on the bottom of the page. You can find some Euro players on Kindergarten and a few pubs on Railbait server.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #44
=AS= Pt

Is it realy forever? I hope so...

Mullet, do you think that FF will stand alive if it wont go for sail? I know that the Dev team promissed to make FF free, but my fear is that because of being free, and just "foundable" in the internet, only those who search it, will find it, and those who didnt even heard of it, will still be away of this AMAZING GAME. What i mean is that lots of TFC players will play TF2 cause they dont know that FF is the natural descendent of TFC, and if they dont see it in a shelf in the mall, they and everybody else wont ever know that FF exists. Do you think that it will stand against Halo (selling every where), TF2 (orange box), without fight with the same weapons? Without being visible for the masses to buy (yes, because this game desirves to be sold). I think it wouldnt be a turn around in the promissed "free FF", i think it is the way to make the game all it was meant to be.

This questios is going for the Dev team:

I dont know nothing of this, and probably what i will suggest is just impossible, but is it possible to make FF available in a episode 3 of HL2? Like the orange box, but with another color :P. RedVsBlue box ^^ = "Episode 3 + FF". Or selling just the game. Get all the big bugs fixed, and releast it. Those who already are playing, would be given a key to continue playing, and the new ones, would have to bye it. I promiss that the pub servers would the filled with noobs ready to play FF 5 hours a day (or more), like i did when by luke found TFC.

I am a business student and something that i learned is that people see quality in the price... For some people being free its bad. Who didnt saw this reaction "Free?! MMM dont know". FF its the kind of game that i would pay to have, and i bet that a lot more people would do the same, and i would doble bet you all, that this would make FF grow as we all believe it desirves.

I see people hoping that FF lives...To me, the way is the one i wrote before.

DEV TEAM, think about it. Really... Your work is fenomenal and i think that you have the right to do everything to make FF as big as possible, and just clanning isnt the answer.

Sorry for the HUGE post, but i think that this is a important issue.
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #45
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
ETF was also a free game, but it did not get a large player-base even though ETF is a great, fast-paced, TF game.

I really enjoy Fortress Forever except for being kicked from servers due to a 250 ping. It happens all the time to me though. I have been playing TF2 and Fortress Forever, but I prefer FF.

It all comes down to advertising the game! I kept ETF alive for about 2 years as a "One man ETF Advertising Team" and as soon as I stopped, it died. Well, it died harder.

I suggest everyone here that loves Fortress Forever to help spread the word! Find a cool sig FROM HERE or make your own and get the word out! Maybe someone with the right strings can submit a press release. We did that for the now dead Q3FX mod and the press release alone got us about 2000 downloads in 3 weeks.

TFC was distributed with HL1 and that is why it was huge.
TF2 is distributed via "The Orange Box" or Steam and that is why it is also huge.
Fortress Forever is the greatest Halflife2 mod, but nobody knows about it.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #46
=AS= Pt

That is exactly what i ment. Distributing the game with a large selling game would give FF the amount of players it needs to survive. Thats why the idea of the RedVsBlue Box... just dont know the implications that would have in the game.

I cant agree with the the mouth to mouth idea for the long term. I do it, and started a Thread with a MSN message to do that, but that isnt sustandable in the long term. To be viable, it needs to be played for lot of people... i mean thousend of them.

To me the best option would be the Episode 3 + FF solution, but i understand that it isnt easy to do...or in other words...it could be very hard (if not impossible) to do. So, selling the game by it self could be an answer...even if not the best, in my eyes better then mouth to mouth. That along with advertising could garantie the future of FF. Because it realy is a shame that the best HL2 mod, has an expert as you says, wont be all it can be because its a independent dev and free. The problem with free, is that you cant sell free products in a place were a large amout of people will bye that free product. To be seened, to be bought it has to have a price.Free isnt byable...if it isnt byable it isnt possessed...if it isnt possessed it isnt played...if it isnt played its a crap...and FF is everything but a crap.

I once again ask the Dev team what are the possibilities of selling FF in a pack like tf2 is...I think that FF should learn with the good examples...and it cant be a better example then a worst game beating FF in full servers, just because it has a better way of distributing...they sell the game along with a "Sellsbuster".

This is my opinion as a consultant (i study business, but have a consultant enterprise...i just say this cause i dont want this to be taken as a spit to the air)

4 P's of Porter: Product, Place, Price, Promotion.

Product: FF has the best Product of the genre;
Place: FF doesnt have a consistent way of distributing, and it is vital for the success of the game. Players dont know about it.
Price: There is no price, and therefor there is a lack of evaluating of the product. Players cant compare it.
Promotion: Mouth to mouth and the community is what is being used. But this type of comunication has showed to be not very efective. As you said, when you stoped promoting ETF, it just crashed hard... FF comunity is more or less the same as TFC, and TFC was very heathy.

I say that just being good its not enouth...people have to know that FF is good. They have to see it, reach it, bye it, ear from it. There is a long walk to be made, and in my opinion the way we are walking isnt the best.

Mullet, your opinion as an expert of the genre is quit valuable. Thks

Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #47
=AS= Pt

with this "and TFC was very heathy." i ment - "and TFC wasnt very healthy".

Sorry for the misspeling and grammar erros.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #48
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =AS= Pt
Mullet, do you think that FF will stand alive if it wont go for sail? I know that the Dev team promissed to make FF free, but my fear is that because of being free, and just "foundable" in the internet, only those who search it, will find it, and those who didnt even heard of it, will still be away of this AMAZING GAME. What i mean is that lots of TFC players will play TF2 cause they dont know that FF is the natural descendent of TFC, and if they dont see it in a shelf in the mall, they and everybody else wont ever know that FF exists. Do you think that it will stand against Halo (selling every where), TF2 (orange box), without fight with the same weapons? Without being visible for the masses to buy (yes, because this game desirves to be sold). I think it wouldnt be a turn around in the promissed "free FF", i think it is the way to make the game all it was meant to be.

This questios is going for the Dev team:

I dont know nothing of this, and probably what i will suggest is just impossible, but is it possible to make FF available in a episode 3 of HL2? Like the orange box, but with another color :P. RedVsBlue box ^^ = "Episode 3 + FF". Or selling just the game. Get all the big bugs fixed, and releast it. Those who already are playing, would be given a key to continue playing, and the new ones, would have to bye it. I promiss that the pub servers would the filled with noobs ready to play FF 5 hours a day (or more), like i did when by luke found TFC.

I am a business student and something that i learned is that people see quality in the price... For some people being free its bad. Who didnt saw this reaction "Free?! MMM dont know". FF its the kind of game that i would pay to have, and i bet that a lot more people would do the same, and i would doble bet you all, that this would make FF grow as we all believe it desirves.

I see people hoping that FF lives...To me, the way is the one i wrote before.

DEV TEAM, think about it. Really... Your work is fenomenal and i think that you have the right to do everything to make FF as big as possible, and just clanning isnt the answer.

Sorry for the HUGE post, but i think that this is a important issue.
ok, but how could this work, at all? we would need to freakin license the Source engine (we dont even have a donate button yet) and then we would need to actually talk to Valve by including FF with one of THEIR games, and our game is a competitor against TF2 (per se)
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #49
=AS= Pt

I didnt say it would be easy. And that's why i said that i didnt know what would be the implications of that in the game. I prefer the game for free...obviously. But to have lots of full servers that is the way i would take. Unless there will be done more things to promote.

I dont know the implications of licence Valve's source engines, but if they could keep the project in their hands (in dev team hands) why wouldn't they do it?

You can sit and whait to see if the game prosper...i realy, realy REALY hope so...FF is fucking espectacular, but dont know if thats enouth to beat the lack of people we are experience.

To me, being hable to be bought in stores would make a huge diference (see TF2 and the orange box). Implications of that? i don't know, thats why i asked the dev team for an opinion. If it is impossible...ok, lets do this like it is being done and hope for the best. If it possible, i realy think it could be an option.

Greenday, ty for the reply.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #50
greenday5494
D&A Member

hey, sorry for being a sarcastic asshole. i'll try to be more contructive in my furture posts (no sarcasm intended)

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #51
=AS= Pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
hey, sorry for being a sarcastic asshole. i'll try to be more contructive in my furture posts (no sarcasm intended)

X-] I really apreciated your reply :P I'm just cause no dev responded.

Oh well... did i mentioned well?! Guess i'll go play now lol :P

Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #52
greenday5494
D&A Member

oh thought you were being sarcastic that last bit 0_o. no hard feelings