Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #21
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I think that takes a package now, but originally yeah it came with those.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #22
o_bubbles

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Possible to play the mod with only HL2Demo installed? =DD
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #23
o_ekse

and what about DoD:S only ?
o_ekse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

We're not mounting any CS:S gcfs. The stuff in push was simply taken from the CS:S GCF and then dropped into the FF directory. The vast majority of that stuff has already been removed and none of it will actually be released with FF for two reasons:

A: Legality (I'm pretty sure Valve would frown upon taking stuff from one GCF and redistributing it with a mod [as not all players will own CS:S])
B: We want to have our own stuff instead

We have looked into the possibility of mounting the CS:S GCFs (not illegal, Garry's mod does it and Valve advertises his stuff. It would just mean everyone would have to own CS:S to play FF) but we can't be sure of the numbers that own CS:S. Hell we even researched whether we could make FF a CS:S mod (as CS:S is cheap and it has all the HL2 resources thrown in, so you essentially get 2 for 1) but in the end the only realistic solution was to make FF a regular HL2 mod. We'd already advertised ourselves as a HL2 mod, and there's no concrete proof that the whole CS:S mod stuff would actually work.

It seems there is a huge amount of confusion and ambiguity from valve about the whole "who can play mods?" and "what can you use to make mods?" situation.

Last edited by Defrag; 03-11-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
o_ginger lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
It seems there is a huge amount of confusion and ambiguity from valve about the whole "who can play mods?" and "what can you use to make mods?" situation.
Yeah, the situtation is pretty unclear, the other co-lead on my mod e-mailed Valve and it didnt seem sure they knew either. But we "think" legally you can only use what is provided in the SDK (like 3 other models) plus Source Base content, i.e. anything in sourcematierals.gcf, sourcesounds.gcf etc. Using CS:S and DoD:S stuff is illegal to redestribute.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #26
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Yeah that much we gathered. Jon emailed valve and didn't get a reply about making a CS:S mod (or similar), so we just gave up looking and went back to plan A (which we never essentially left, we were just exploring the possibilities).

Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #27
o_pizzahut

I have to correct myself a bit.

Apparently, if you don't have Half-Life 2, Source mods aren't listed in the Steam Games tab (nothing new) - *but* you might be able to run Source mods anyway if you own HL2:DM. You just need a shortcut for it, e.g. BG2 creates one during install.

http://forums.bgmod.com/index.php?sh...=0&#entry16113
o_pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #28
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Thanks for the info. The fact that the mods don't show up in the games list is probably indicative of valve's intent. I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to use a shortcut to launch mods (using HL2 DM only) disappears in future. It might be an oversight either way on valve's part, but we have no real way of knowing unless valve actually lets people know.