Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
o_bigtrav

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Generic Anecdotal Thanks Here

I first played TFC when I was in 3rd grade, which was 6-7 years ago now. I had grown up with console games on the NES, SNES, and N64, and had just recieved Goldeneye (my youthful mind was corupted beyond repair I'm sure), and I played obcessively. I had never played a shooter before, and I was enthralled by the deep, addictive gameplay (and of course, guns). I was always bugging people to play multi-player with me, so I could whoop them on Complex, in which I had memorized every passageway, gun location, and hidden nook until I could quickly glance at the other person's screen (I didn't know it was bad! ) and quickly find them and destroy them with double RCP-90s or whatever I had compiled in my vast inventory. No one likes to get beaten by an 8-year old, so I was quickly abandoned and left to my own devices, strolling around Frigate with twin machine guns and hunting down every last enemy or finding the perfect way to beat Bunker 1 without even getting shot at. We didn't have silly things like mounds of homeowrk then, so aside from a short daily baseball practice, video games were my hobby.

It was probably the perfect time to discover TFC. My stepdad's co-worker played apparently, and lent the Half-Life disc (omg!) to my stepdad, who enticed me with stories of the game beforehand, telling me that there were actually different types of people you could be (the distinct one I remember was "demoman", who could blow people up!). I envisioned an epic game like I had never played before, and I was right. He installed it and we sat down and spectated on a game I didn't know then, but would later find to be CanalZone2. I was hooked.

My earliest memories were playing Blue-team Medic and HWGuy frequently in 2fort, where I would hang out in the base and heal/defend the best I knew how (I actually read the HTML manual, I'm such a loser). I eventually started messing around with other classes, namely Engineer, where I devoted 95% of my gametime to building sentry guns, running to the nearest spawnroom, stocking up on metal, and returning to said sentry gun to upgrade. TFC became my new addiction. I played on whatever server I clicked on, and whatever map was on said server: well, 2fort, hunted, cz2, rock, anything. I loved them all.

I really stopped playing I guess when our computer was fried during a thunderstorm a good while ago now, despite the storm-protector we had it plugged into (I never got my SWAT3 disc out of the CD-ROM drive! ) I started dabbling in Half-Life 1 and Counter-Strike, but I never got into them like I did my console games. Now that I think about it, TFC was, for a very long time, my only real PC game love. Recently, I received Half-Life 2 for Christmas, and playing it made me think of HL and TFC. I yearned to play again, so upon searching to no avail for the old CD-ROMs, I bought the HL box set for something like $20. I expected the outdated versions on the discs, but I couldn't figure out how to update my TFC. Steam simply wouldn't let me download it, it couldn't figure out that I had it on my computer or something. After a few hours of frustration, I left it and moved on.

I made a TFC thread in another forum I frequent, and it turned out quite a few other people on the forum had once played obcessively as well, but had stopped for whatever reasons. Someone posted the link to this site and gave nothing but praise, so I had to look. Basically, I'm filled with joy and other warm/fuzzy feelings at your efforts, and I can't wait. I don't mean to be nagging, but if you need a beta-tester, critic, or general fan, I'm here Thanks to everyone on the devteam for your continuing hard work.

-Travis
o_bigtrav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Nice gamming background and welcome
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
o_bigtrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
Nice gamming background and welcome
Remember your roots

I can already tell this is a great forum, I haven't seen a single flamer/troller yet. That's more than I can say for most forums. And nearly everyone has impeccable spelling and grammer! Unpossible!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
o_fresh

wElcom!
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrav
Remember your roots

I can already tell this is a great forum, I haven't seen a single flamer/troller yet. That's more than I can say for most forums. And nearly everyone has impeccable spelling and grammer! Unpossible!
Stick here for while and you'll see a couple flamer/trollers and my grammar and speeling ain't that good lol
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You jinxed it! Nooooo!

Also, welcome.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
o_loyus

welcome !

ah ah ! my story is pretty similar, except I was older and it wasn't Goldeneye but Duke Nukem 64. What happened basically is that a friend and his little brother came home with Duke Nukem 64 in their pocket, they wanted to try it in multi. "Sure, let's give it a glance", I called my little brother and we started to play.

Quickly my pal called his parents to ask them if they could sleep here. 2 days later, when my parents finally realized we've been playing non-stop for almost 3 days, they breached into our dark and smelly lair to kick our asses. Rethinking about it, I'm glad they did, but what the hell of a trip !

I remember awaking with the paddle in hands, immediatly launching another game... No shower or whatever, same clothes play again, pizzas and sodas... These was 3 memorable days of my life, we laughed so much and created like 154 awful private jokes.

Duke Nukem 64 was a jewel, jetpacks, explosive shotgun, a couple of new maps, microwave weapon, holodukes, speed, steroids...

But I got more hooked than the others, and what happened later is what happened to you with Goldeneye. I developped an extreme control of maps and eventually became so much stronger that even at 1vs3 I was winning fairly easily. Soon they were basically playing because I was asking them to, and the fun ended on the map Stadium, when I avoided a rox with a movement you couldn't think possible with a gamepad, "wtf ! it's ok, I quit", the others did the same because it wasn't fun anyway... And nobody would play against me again, life wouldn't make sense anymore

And one day, in a videogames magazine, there was a CD with the latest HL patch, including a brand new game to play wich was called TFC... "Let's give it a glance"...

Last edited by o_loyus; 03-13-2006 at 10:35 AM.
o_loyus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I did 1v3 on QuakeII for the N64 all the time and stomped. =D

Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
o_bugsymalone

Nice post and welcome to the boards.

When I was younger I seemed to have a gift for gaming, SNES and then Nintendo64. No one could beat at games like Street Fighter ll and games alike. I was beating all my friends, my brother and his friends, then their friends. When I was around 16 I had a playstation and was still not finding a challenge ( I was playing people from school and such, never losing ) and then I found Quake2. Well after that day, I saved all my wages for 2 months and bought a PC.

Thats how I got started. And yeah, Engineer was probably the class I spended most time on. The idea of building a sentry gun just took my fancy.
o_bugsymalone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
o_fresh

goldeneye, liscence to kill, stack, pistols only.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
o_bigtrav

Goldeneye, Automatic Weapons/Golden Gun/Lasers/Anything, Complex

Thanks for all the welcomes guys.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
o_bokko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh
goldeneye, liscence to kill, stack, pistols only.
Damn right ! That is the ultimate setup, many afternoons wasted on this with friends.
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
3 player, Archives, pistols only, -4 health, no radar. Sit down everyone.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
o_bigtrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
3 player, Archives, pistols only, -4 health, no radar. Sit down everyone.
That sounds like fun to the 100th degree. I've heard there are ways to play Goldeneye ROMs with emulators over the net against other people. I'm sure it wouldn't be fun with people that play all the time and just use all the unbalanced stuff and are perfect at it, but it'd be great to get 4 friends to download it and have a night of old-school fun You could always just dig out the ol' N64 (if it still works) and invite them over I guess.

Well, I finally got TFC back. Reinspired, I went back to work, and I found a random CD paper sleeve with a CD key on it. It turned out to be from one of the games out of my HL Platinum Pack, and it let me update all my games from it I've been server-hopping since yesterday, and its just as fun as it used to be In fact, the only real difference I've found is the excessive use of grenades, I don't really remember that, but running back and forth to supply rooms and beefing up and keeping your sentry gun in 2fort alive brings back old memories

Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #15
o_deadly furby

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.....
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
o_bigtrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.....
Austin Powers
FTW

Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #17
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Thought I recognized it.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #18
o_awesome_dude_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrav
I can already tell this is a great forum, I haven't seen a single flamer/troller yet.
Hi, I'm the Howling Man
o_awesome_dude_42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #19
o_shortcircuit

Wolfenstein 3D was my first game to draw me in, pretty nasty game for a 5 year old. Doom, Duke Nukem, Age of Empires, and Command & Conquer were soon to follow, then tfc for the last 6 years, although the death of pubbing and actually developing a social life in college have reduced playtime to a couple of hours a week I will soon be back to digital obsession however, just waiting on these damn slow developer folk..
o_shortcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote