Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I thought so. They deserve it, I played NS for years, but it's not something I can do just yet. Maybe I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is it open beta? I know I can buy it but I'd like to download it and give it a try first. No way for that?
You sig.

It's stuck in my head.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #23
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Yar har fiddle dee dee

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
I take back pretty much everything I've said about this. The past few patches have essentially turned this game into shit. It's sad that something that was so fun turned into crap. It's as though they wanted to start creating a game that looked and felt like an AAA title...when that's not what NS2 should be.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
oaties

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
I take back pretty much everything I've said about this. The past few patches have essentially turned this game into shit. It's sad that something that was so fun turned into crap. It's as though they wanted to start creating a game that looked and felt like an AAA title...when that's not what NS2 should be.
Mind elaborating on this? I've heard nothing but praise from a few FF players and was considering trying it out.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
The HUD went from being minimalistic, but clean and easy to determine necessary information...to being a cluttered mess that's difficult to understand. Text scrolls onto your screen rather than just quickly popping up, the font is ugly compared to what it was before, the minimap zooming around constantly is distracting, it's impossible to distinguish friend from foe on the minimap (they both look the same and blink red when under attack), it's impossible to see how much health someone has now (you just get a rough indication), non-comms are barraged with information that they don't need to really know, since it's the comm's job to keep them in the loop, etc. This isn't even stuff that you can say "get used to it" about - it's just, in my opinion, completely worse than before in every way. Yeah, things like moving around health bar locations on the HUD I can get used to, but why would you make the health bar take up twice as much space as before when it was small, clean, and easy to quickly read before?

Gameplay is feeling incredibly stale. "Unhinging" alien lifeforms from hive count was an awful idea. To counter that, they had to severely nerf what the upper-tier lifeforms can do to compensate until they get upgrades. The new alien comm system sucks, much in the same reason that SC2's general macro principles suck. Rather than the simplistic, but concrete, values of build time, health, and utility (such as in SC1), they add shit in like Catalyze which is a boring "macro sink" that also conveniently fucks balance nine ways to Sunday. Also, they pretty much nerfed every single alien lifeform and buffed the fuck out of marines, so just about every game that's not horribly stacked ends in a marine victory once they get arcs. Oh, and there's lots of stupid bullshit they keep adding as well. Cloak? When has cloak ever been a fun game mechanic? At least in FF, you balance it out with slower movement speed, but point is - it's boring to play against, boring to play with, and slows down gameplay immensely. Silence? Ugh. Now marines can't rely on their hearing at all - fucking stupid.

Upgrades like carapace and the now-removed frenzy might be "stronger" in some respects, but they don't change the core interactions -- Marine hears or sees an alien, shoots it until it dies or he dies, the end. With cloak, you can't even walk out of base without your comm scanning for you or you risk dying because cloak is bullshit. Audio cues have always been immensely important in any FPS, but especially NS - having the ability to silence an alien's movements and attacks is, again, fucking retarded.

They're trying to "diversify" the gameplay too much, but in reality all they're doing is killing the reasons why it was fun in the first place -- a game that rewarded mechanic and tactical prowess.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote