lil newbie
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #323
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I still like CS

I'm pretty good at twitch gaming...

That said, I'd rather play QWTF all day, but when my option was reduced to TFC or CS I picked CS because it was at least better movement wise...and at the end of the day, movement is what matters most.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #324
GhOsT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
I still like CS

That said, I'd rather play QWTF all day, but when my option was reduced to TFC or CS I picked CS because it was at least better movement wise...and at the end of the day, movement is what matters most.
Huh? Movement wise in what way?
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #325
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
This is what i think
TFC > CS
CS:S > CS
TFC =/= CS:S
Yeah , I know CS:S is just a bunch of purty improved graphics from cs, that's what i like, i don't want a shitty designed ak-47/cv-74.

Movement wise,hmm
Cs is not as fast paced, or hell i don't know, smooth walkingz?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #326
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
I think the major flaw with CS is in its weapon balance, primarily the AWP being the end all weapon in the hands of a vetran. Any game based on a variety of weapons with standard movement (Run, Jump, Duck) shouldn't have a one hit kill weapon. It just ruins gameplay.

As for DOD:S I'm impartial, its fun, but it just doesn't really standout. I miss the days of Firearms, back when they had the dual-uzis.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #327
AmazingNurseEnrique
Alcoholocaust

Send a message via AIM to AmazingNurseEnrique
Quote:
I still like CS

Interesting...what makes you enjoy CS's movement more?
AmazingNurseEnrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #328
fad
?

Please say he meant to say TFC, otherwise I dunno wtf
fad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #329
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
I think the major flaw with CS is in its weapon balance, primarily the AWP being the end all weapon in the hands of a vetran. Any game based on a variety of weapons with standard movement (Run, Jump, Duck) shouldn't have a one hit kill weapon. It just ruins gameplay.

As for DOD:S I'm impartial, its fun, but it just doesn't really standout. I miss the days of Firearms, back when they had the dual-uzis.
You're forgetting the Tactics portion of CS's gameplay strategy.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #330
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNurseEnrique
Interesting...what makes you enjoy CS's movement more?
The HL/Quake2 movement felt more natural translated into a slower-type game like CS than it did with TFC. In Quake, the movement was largely more suited to my playing style than HL. TFC was noticibly slower than QWTF, but that wasn't the primary problem, which was the movement. The movement felt more stilted and had less general flow to it, which lended itself more to an aiming/twitch game like CS rather than a fast-paced blow up shit flying through the air crazyness that was TF.

Keep in mind this is all conjecture, and in no way represents the general population

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #331
grg
el matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
You're forgetting the Tactics portion of CS's gameplay strategy.
Agreed. I used to hate CS a LOT, but once I played "seriously" (learning tactics and such), I noticed how cool is it. Of course I'd rather play TFC because of it's fast paced movement, concs, jumping around, airshots, blablabla. But you can't say CS is shit just because you aim to your enemy's head, shoot and he doesn't die. Or because you aim right in the middle of his body and don't hit once. Yeah that's annoying sometimes, but the tactics portion of the game is indeed preety interesting. Even better than TFC's, QTF or whatever.
grg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #332
fad
?

Quote:
The HL/Quake2 movement felt more natural translated into a slower-type game like CS than it did with TFC. In Quake, the movement was largely more suited to my playing style than HL. TFC was noticibly slower than QWTF, but that wasn't the primary problem, which was the movement. The movement felt more stilted and had less general flow to it, which lended itself more to an aiming/twitch game like CS rather than a fast-paced blow up shit flying through the air crazyness that was TF.

Keep in mind this is all conjecture, and in no way represents the general population
I dont really know if you ever played TFC much, but ive played all the above games and high level TFC movement has alot of depth to it. Maybe you played mostly sniper in TFC... then i would understand the "aim/twitch game" stuff but for example, play medic or scout in a clan match and its totally different.

All depends of the map of course but most of the time a medic uses movement alot more than aim to get to the flagroom. I.e. Doesnt just dm his way to the flagroom, as it's pointless. Watch demos or AVIs of good medics and that's what you'll see.

Even with BH capped, there are techniques to not hit it, making the movement flow alot smoother.
fad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #333
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
My friend and I who are css'ers decided to play on a cs 1.6 pub dust2 server yesterday...

our scores were around 7 | 6 , 9 | 6
we sucked.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #334
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
My friend and I who are css'ers decided to play on a cs 1.6 pub dust2 server yesterday...

our scores were around 7 | 6 , 9 | 6
we sucked.
I notice how much better my scores are in CSS after I play 1.6, it's crazy.

And CS has more depth and strategy and teamwork than any other competetive game, which is why it's the #1 competetive game (at least team game, people say Quake 3 is #1)
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #335
Narbleh

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I hope Valve is taking notes. Add respawn delays and you get more me-oriented gaming where people care about their personal score even more than they otherwise would and take far less risks for the team. Not so good when the team is supposed to be the point of the game.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #336
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Or it makes the medic working on keepin his teammates alive

But seriosuly has anyone tought about ETF? If you think about it, even if you play in a pub with nuubs the team does work together snice each class has its quite obvious job. and the AvD map settings work for that alot aswell.
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #337
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad
I dont really know if you ever played TFC much, but ive played all the above games and high level TFC movement has alot of depth to it. Maybe you played mostly sniper in TFC... then i would understand the "aim/twitch game" stuff but for example, play medic or scout in a clan match and its totally different.

All depends of the map of course but most of the time a medic uses movement alot more than aim to get to the flagroom. I.e. Doesnt just dm his way to the flagroom, as it's pointless. Watch demos or AVIs of good medics and that's what you'll see.

Even with BH capped, there are techniques to not hit it, making the movement flow alot smoother.
Ugh I hate making reading comprehension arguments but:

Your entire point is based on the first post which included the innocuous comment "I am good at twitch games" which was directed at CS in general. I then go on to explain that twitch was not the reason I played CS over TFC, it was the movement.

In the second post, I explain that the Half-Life engines movement was more stilted and slow than on the Quake 1 engine (which no one would argue against) and IMO seemed to suit a game like CS which promoted aim more than TFC which promoted movement.

Therefore,

TFC = Movement game
CS = Aim game
HL1 Engine = Less movement flow
So HL1 Engine > Q1 Engine for CS-type game but < for TF-type game

See my point?

I eventually did clan in TFC in the middle years (2001-2004) but it took about 2 years for a full transition for me from QWTF, and that had more to do with the scene slowly dying, the release of the source code (which turned every server into CustomTF and MegaTF...bleh) and a constant migration of users to TFC or other games.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #338
tu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad

i agree w/ fad 100%.

lemmy guess pychonet can't bhop and prolly don't know what tf movement is all about beyond, left/right/forward/back + strafe keys. yeah you might have played tfc back in 04 but i don't think you know what you are talking about when it comes to "tfc + movement"

Last edited by tu!; 04-25-2007 at 06:07 PM.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #339
Serik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narbleh
I hope Valve is taking notes. Add respawn delays and you get more me-oriented gaming where people care about their personal score even more than they otherwise would and take far less risks for the team. Not so good when the team is supposed to be the point of the game.
That's actually one of the things I love about TFC: the game subconsciously focuses on teamwork and fun by not having a respawn time and emphasis on K/D ratios. I can have a total shit score and still have fun . But in any other game I play, I feel like I’m not having a good time if my score sucks.

Now look at TF2 -- respawn times, a camera that shows who killed you, popups whenever some guy kills you several times in a row, etc. How again is this fostering teamwork? As you noted Narbleh, it will probably make the game more score-oriented.
Serik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #340
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

*groan*

tu! just...no

no...

I want to try to dignify it with a proper response but your idiocy just puts me on the defensive when there is nothing to defend.

Bhop was all well and good, but when you played QWTF for 3+ years and made the jump to TFC, it is fairly blatant that it is a slower game. Period.

Bhop has nothing to do with this (though the lack of trimping may have)