Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
o_mikequist

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Custom Map Notify

Is there going to be any warning of any type about whether or not a map is custom or included? I remember that back when I started TFC and CSS, I couldn't really always tell if it was included or not, and then I was worried I might have to sit downloading a shitty map for an hour.

Will there be any signal or warning or difference that will allude us to the fact its not a real dev map?
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
if we have that fastdownloadurl thing it's really fast to get a new map. like, really fast...

i didn't have some shitty firefort map a couple of weeks ago playing tfc and i waited all of like... 20 seconds?

it's the same timewise as downloading all those stupid ass .wav's for the first time, heh.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
o_rannibunny

You can use "All-seeing eye" as server browser. If the server is running a map you don't have, it's shown in red...
If the server changes to a map you don't have after you connected, that's a different story though
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
o_ivaqual

Fastdownloadurl only works when the following condition is met :
  • fastdownloadurl is used

Unfortunately it's rarely the case.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 AM   #5
o_mikequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
Unfortunately it's rarely the case.
Exactly. And I have no problem with what maps are custom becuase I know what is quality DEV stuff and whats not.

HOWEVER, noobs dont. And when JoeSomebody01 logs in and clicks some map called SHITFORT06 and it turns out to be a real shitfort...that's not exactly the best impression we can give a player.

Is there a way to in shade servers with custom maps in grey or make the map name red?

Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
o_atari

If the maps shit, then a) the map won't be on more than one server b) it won't be around very long c) the new player will make up their own mind, and find another map.
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
o_mikequist

Ok...for example...I decide one night last week I'll finally try "The Hidden" Fast download. I get all 200 or so megs in about 3 minutes. Not too bad. Now I go in to play and I pick the server with the lowest ping/highest player ratio. I get some shitty custom server with a million sounds. So here I am downloading those for what seems like an eternity. Then comes the map. To be honest I had walked away for about 10 minutes while the game enjoyed downloading the shit galore, so I could not be sure whether it was a custom map or not. But it certainly was not the best mapping I have ever seen. So I had a bad time, and left. Never played the game since. Did I join another server in hopes of a better game? No. I gave the mod it's chance and it failed.

Yeah, I probably should have tried again, and you could sit here all day and convince me otherwise, and you would win. But you WONT convince the thousands of people who will download this mod to give it another chance. If people don't like mods, they usually quit right away.

I'm just suggesting that perhaps we make sure that the players play a real quality map first.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
o_atari

Didn't mean to sound negative, I think you have a good point.
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
o_ghost

AFAIK, the dev team has no control over the steam menus like the server browser. When starting a game I would hope people would be smart enough to figure out that if you have to download a map then you don't have it. What are you suggesting? A message that pops up as you start joining the server or something?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just think that it's an idea that can't really be implemented in a usefull manor. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the control the SDK gives you over the steam menus in the game.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
We still can't stop people from having bad/shitty maps on their server rotation. If someone trying the mod for the first time happens to connect to said shitty map server and quits and never plays the mod again I don't think there's anything we can do there.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
o_imbrifer

You can call The Cleaner...
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
o_etzell

If you'd sit through a million downloads, play a shitty map, and quit the mod altogether, you didn't exactly expect much from the mod.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
o_rannibunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
We still can't stop people from having bad/shitty maps on their server rotation. If someone trying the mod for the first time happens to connect to said shitty map server and quits and never plays the mod again I don't think there's anything we can do there.
I already punish people who don't play Shadowrun with the standard rules so I think I can fit punishing "bad taste in maps" in as well...
o_rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
There's one thing the dev team CAN do.

sv_downloadfilter none by default.