Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #61
o_theodorusrex

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TF2 is looking good, I welcome the change. Some change (beyond visuals) is going to be necessary to sell the game to people who have never played TFC. Plus, in all of it's balanced glory, the game (TFC) had some issues.
o_theodorusrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #62
o_nuk3m

Regardless of what happens the Dev team along with 99.672% of the TFC fanbase knows that FF will be a Gigantic sucessful hit, I can see one thing happening.

Complete Competition between FF and Valve. as Valve wants money for people to play TF2, is FF is better, hmmm...

better gameplay 0$
less gameplay 20$ (referencing EP2)

FF has SO MUCH on valve. gameplay looks so much more interactive. and its free. most kids who arent old enough to have jobs, will get the free one first and if they dont like it bug their parents for 20 bucks.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 AM   #63
o_frenchtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitum
That would be Sweden.
That would be the joke.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #64
o_jblade

Awesome thanks for the upload
o_jblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #65
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
I'm getting more worried that Valve are butchering the organised play w/TF2.. As time goes on without mention of conc jumps and medic offy nerfing.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #66
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
at the end of the day though, the medic they envisioned last time around never was to be, so theyre having another bash at that. fair play to that, i say.

as for the sniper: they mean that he will be able to freeze time and pick his shots, just like in red steel!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #67
o_pussyhunter

Really looking forward to TF2, tbh some of the bext tfc games I played were before the days of BH & HH-concs etc.

Offy used to group outside the nme base & attack as a group. I remember a 4 soldier offy on a map called BAM was particularly lethal!

Just don't get that level of teamplay in offy anymore, it's just rush spam die rinse repeat for 30m!
o_pussyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #68
o_sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
Regardless of what happens the Dev team along with 99.672% of the TFC fanbase knows that FF will be a Gigantic sucessful hit, I can see one thing happening.

Complete Competition between FF and Valve. as Valve wants money for people to play TF2, is FF is better, hmmm...

better gameplay 0$

FF has SO MUCH on valve. gameplay looks so much more interactive. and its free. most kids who arent old enough to have jobs, will get the free one first and if they dont like it bug their parents for 20 bucks.
Do you realise how much of an advantage it is to have your game on every PC mag and pop up every time you open steam? I'm a die hard FF fan like yourself and i'm sure it will be a complete success, but to imagine it will be more popular with the general gaming community than TF2 is ludicrous. I get the urge to defend FF to the hilt like yourself but it's important to remain realistic, if FF can maintain a healthy player base running many public servers and leagues it will be deemed a total success.
o_sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #69
o_sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyHunter
Really looking forward to TF2, tbh some of the bext tfc games I played were before the days of BH & HH-concs etc.

Offy used to group outside the nme base & attack as a group. I remember a 4 soldier offy on a map called BAM was particularly lethal!

Just don't get that level of teamplay in offy anymore, it's just rush spam die rinse repeat for 30m!
Old Puss can't hack the new pace :P
o_sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #70
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
TF2 is going to be cool
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #71
o_mrfunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373

better gameplay 0$

Think I read somewhere the pricing has yet to be decided and could be between $20 and $50.

Delay and price hike, yipee :E
o_mrfunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #72
o_dammage

Good reviews give an initial shot for a few months - 1 to 3. Then the pubbers move along if they don't hear about it anymore.

The winner will be the one which manages to constantly stay in the breaking news.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #73
o_luminous

i think i read it was gonna be $30, because youre effectively getting 3 whole games
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #74
o_mj

still not impress with tf2..
o_mj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #75
o_groovyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
still not impress with tf2..
Reasons?
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #76
o_pussyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre
Old Puss can't hack the new pace :P
Why do you think I've played only hwguy since 2001? :P
o_pussyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #77
o_ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dospac
I'm getting more worried that Valve are butchering the organised play w/TF2.. As time goes on without mention of conc jumps and medic offy nerfing.
I like conc jumping just as much as the next guy but why must this be the defining feature of the game? In that behind the scenes video at Valve Robin Walker talked about rocket jumping and pipe jumping so it does appear that there will be at least some advanced movement in the game.

Also, we still have no idea what the class balance is going to be like. With a "nerfed" medic maybe other classes will step up to take its place. Maybe its a good thing that medic won't be the one man wrecking crew that has speed, movement, and firepower wrapped up all in one anymore.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #78
o_acidrenix

TF games should be about aiming and movement, _equally_

If your slowing the game down, it becomes more defensive, limiting movement techniques means bottle neck lock downs. Entrances to bases will be the key in defending a map. Heavy classes will need to be used on offy as you can't just... run through spam (not everyone has an aim as terrible as that HW guy on the TF2 video). Heavy classes get in the base, heavy defence classes respawn, chase, kill, repeat.

There are other type of CTF games that rely on brute force to capture a point, those like, DoD style games. Problem is, they are slow and dull and TFC is fast and spammy.

I'm sure TF2 will be a great game to play, and probably quite a bit of fun. But if your reading these forums, chances are it's because you think the original TFC is pretty decent (or was) and are waiting for the next chapter of these fast paced, skillful games.
o_acidrenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #79
o_goldplatypus

the medic seems like he's been raped of all that he is great for
o_goldplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #80
o_dammage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldplatypus
the medic seems like he's been raped of all that he is great for
One problem I have with the name in all TF games - medic. He is more of a HWScout, he has as much to do with the medicine as pyros with water (once they fall into it). The only use of the medkit is if someone is injured by something special (aids, pill, conc etc) - this happens only on deffy and those tend to run around own flag instead of the enemy one.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote