Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Meaning I would need a web server in addition to the game server, right?

I am already getting a web server. I used to have one, but I lost my account due to a bank screwup (they processed a deposit to my checking account two days late). I am going to have a web server along with the game server.

Basically to run a MySQL based plugin, I would need MySQL on the webserver and the game server, correct?
You only need mysql on webserver. Like I stated Here

You just need a game host and a web host. Your making this more difficult then it is. You seem to be over thinking.

Goto say Gameservers btw they use linux, you don't need to know how to use linux just make sure your addons support it.
The goto a webhost that you can setup your domain on to host mysql fast downloads etc. Oh last I checked godaddy does not support remote connections such as fast downloads etc..

Last edited by Bakedbean; 10-16-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #22
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Godaddy has cron jobs now, I'm not sure if it'd work for that, but it helps for things like psychostats, etc...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #23
DarkieJ

And what connection do you need if i want host it at home? Let's say i will host a 20 slots pub, How fast must my connection be up/down?
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #24
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ
And what connection do you need if i want host it at home? Let's say i will host a 20 slots pub, How fast must my connection be up/down?
Your home basic cable/DSL high speed connection could not support a 20 player server on steam. Unless it was fiber. Read here
It will explain how to calculate bandwidth needed for a game server
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #25
Lt Llama

I don't have any experience with colocation, running from home or rent a certain amount of slots. I was lucky to get to know a guy who rented a root server or dedicated shell server. He ran everything on it, SQl, web, php, multiple game servers, Ventrilo, ftp ... Everything he ever needed was there, on the same box. This is ofc more expensive than renting one server, but if you would rent everything you can run on a ded server separatelly you would have to pay a LOT of money. So the total cost of each service you can run if you rent a ded server is very very low.

I don't know what this costs in USA but in Europe you can find shell server providers for 30-40 Euro/month which has:
* Dual core cpu's
* 2 GB ram
* 200 GB disc space
* 10 mbit up/100 mbit down
* Unlimited bandwitdh usage

It is more work for you initially as you have to set everything up yourself. But they come preinstalled with an OS of your choice + ip + Apache running + SQl + PHP.

There are tons of tutorials on the Internet how to go about doing this, so learning it shouldnt be any problem.

The problem is financing. Best thing would be to go together with 3-4 people who want to run their own servers and you pay together.

I know what I'm talking about as I have rented ded servers for 2 years and I am very very satisfied with it. The convenience and dynamic use of a ded server can't be compared to anything else. And having everything you need running on the same box will make your life really much more simple.

A quick search for USA show that you wont get a ded server under 70-80$/month which can handle your needs and do what I described here.

http://www.askwebhosting.com/dedicated-server/?SortBy=1

Old 10-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
If you want 100% freedom, try to get a your own dedicated server (aka computer) and install all your own server aps. While this will be more expensive and more work, it'll give you 100% control over what your server can and cannot do.

I currently have full remote access to a server where I'm running my college's TF2 server. Since I have full control I don't need to worry about someone else updating or fixing something, I just do it myself. I can event just watch the logs if I wish.

If you do get your own server, I would be more then happy to help you set up the basics. While it looks scary at first, the more you work with source dedicated server, the easier it gets