Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
ff_pilkr

ff_pilkr redesign of pilkr but same layout, made the bases more Fortress style, never did like the last ones, now a lot happier with this. It's very fast paced but lots of fun in a pub, not sure how you pros will like it.

dl from here
http://www.turtleheadz.com/downloads...s/ff_pilkr.rar

Last edited by Headz; 01-31-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: url links
Headz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
So I was just about to say:

"is that you bhopping headzy you run into like every wall on the map"

when it went into 480p and I saw "Bob [RNS]" at the bottom. xDDD

(for god's sake get rid of the default crosshairs jesus they're so bad)

Actually looks like an FF map (which is nice).

But I think that without that long security route the map seems a little too small for a good amount of players, and the boost offence route is still way too short and indefensible for my liking.
I'd probably elongate it a bit, make the corner into a small room and stick a ramp from the D spawn to the corner.

Oh, the much larger than the lasers sec_red/blue_slayer is quite confusing too.

And you should probably use an info_overlay for the security button sign - use the overlay tool; green square on brick block, click in camera viewport.

You should also change the security button's prop from prop_dynamic_override to just prop_dynamic - _overrides are designed for overriding physics props; you can check what a prop should be by clicking the 'Info' tab in the model viewer, and the there are ticks for each working prop type.

Try using about 3 of aardvarkpack in resup rather than the healthkits / armorkits, and try using a aardvarkresup info_ff_trigger in the respawn.

Oh, and take out the IncludeScript("base") and all the locations from the lua, 'cause all they'll do is increase the time the server takes to startup the map (albeit not that much time, but... nice to make stuff clean and not have useless stuff in).

Thanks for making a video of it, btw, makes it much easier to see what it looks like before downloading. ;D

Don't think that all this writing is because I don't like the map, because it's not.
It's 'cause I can see it being a truly great pub map
(and I like to make maps but I suck at gameplay so I'm generally better at tweaking and getting others to tweak their maps).

Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Headz

( Hey DM where is my minigolf .lua )
Thinking about it, would be great to have a community map for minigolf, each mapper makes 1-3 holes and we all use the same texture set to keep the theme going, that way it won't be too daunting to make, just an idea, you up for it? sure could get uly, moto and some others to make some.

haha I used bob to spec because he want's to become famous and he knows this vid is gonna go viral right.

The trigger hurt covering the lazers has to be bigger to stop a bug of concing into the hurt but still grabs the flag somehow, apparently this still happens very occasionally.

Can't use overlay with hdr, I tried and it is just a blur mess of white that you see.

I wanted a very offensive orientated map which is why offy spawn spits you out. I did find that an sg at lower ramps positioned near the roof does an excellent job as long as a sol or hw is there to remove spy attacks, so when def is set up well, the map plays quite good.

Totally forgot to clean up the lua, never knew there was a conceivable difference in map load time.

Also def does not use the def spawn to cut off the flag runner, some do but most forget about this, with a few plays think the map will become more balanced.

Would really like to see a match with pro players on this map after they have got used to it.

Thanks for suggestions, always nice to get

Last edited by Headz; 01-31-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: *****************minigolf******************
Headz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz View Post
The trigger hurt covering the lazers has to be bigger to stop a bug of concing into the hurt but still grabs the flag somehow, apparently this still happens very occasionally.
Ah, right. Makes sense, but I'd still love a larger visual effect so you know it's extended. (I know it happens, because I do it on ff_phantom myself.)

Quote:
Also def does not use the def spawn to cut off the flag runner, some do but most forget about this, with a few plays think the map will become more balanced.
I feel that even with using the D spawn battlements exit a scout can pretty easily outrun you as it'll take about 3 seconds for them to get from that exit to the blue cap 'cause of the small yard... (That said, a well-placed HW can easily slowfield / overpressure to slow the flag dramatically - but it'd still be easier to grab and cap compared to most maps.)

Quote:
( Hey DM where is my minigolf .lua )
( Might make one sooner or later - I'd guess sometime next/this month - but I'll probably make it, then squeek will come along and say 'lol wat is puny code' then proceed to quadruple the size of the script and make it twice as good )

EDIT: Just gonna quickly do a flag race test on ff_pilkr now to check cap time...
EDIT2: Or not, because I've already quit Steam and am about to come off my PC.
EDIT3: I'll do it tomorrow, first boost route, then long route.
Could be cool to see the difference in route length.
EDIT4: Just thought, is it possible to throw the flag up to the boost route then slowly work it back? (and how quick would it be?)
EDIT5: should prolly stop editing this and actually come off my pc

Last edited by ddm999; 01-31-2014 at 09:28 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Would really like to see a match with pro players on this map after they have got used to it.
Good joke, game is dead

edit: [22:43:06] <PickupBot> Last pickup: 5 days 54 mins ago

Last edited by NeonLight; 02-01-2014 at 04:42 AM.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
What an asshole.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
a million steps closer to playable but not quite there.

not a fan of the boosters and instantly boosting from spawn (at all for that matter)
btw you can conc out of FR through the one one that shoots you in. only took me 2 tries.

looks nice tho

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc

Last edited by aleXtric; 02-01-2014 at 06:19 AM.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
3 seconds from spawn to enemy front door is waaay too fast. It would be a cap fest in a pickup.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Headz

If you would like I can compile a pickup version ff_pilkr_pu?
make a list of things that require alteration and consider it done.