KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Tough love. Sometimes people get tempbanned for doing stupid shit. But at least let them know what they did wrong so they learn from their mistakes.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
hey i often build my sg directly infront of my respawn in clan matches. am i therefore a noob engineer? oh dear.
Does the word "yes" answer your question?
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
finaly someone said it!

nah kev, e.g. on monkey's lower resup it's very viable

Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
The problem is noob engineers building their guns directly in front of their respawn. I got kicked and 5 minute banned from one server for exactly what the video showed.
that didn't answer my question, did it? i was hoping for details, not reiterations. so let me reiterate: its not blocking any doorways or choke points, which nobuilds should cover anyway. so what's the problem? too close to bags? thats map design dude. people can put sentries in major arteries of a base. in fact its generally a good idea..
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i was hoping for details, not reiterations. so let me reiterate: its not blocking any doorways or choke points, which nobuilds should cover anyway. so what's the problem? too close to bags? thats map design dude. people can put sentries in major arteries of a base. in fact its generally a good idea..
It creates a spam fest of grenades and rockets pointed directly at the respawn doors.

Watch the in game video - that was not staged. Two engineers came out of the respawn right as I was blasting the sentry gun. They did not have a chance to do anything, right out the respawn and BAM, hit with a couple of rockets.

To me, that is not a very professional conduct. But they put their selves and the sentry gun in that situation.

============ EDIT ==============

But then again, if you want to build a sentry gun in front of your respawn and invite the enemy team to toss grenades at respawn, hey, its your respawn. And I am more then willing to throw every grenade I have.

Here is an article I wrote with screen shots - sentry gun at respawn room.

It does not good to debate who is "right" and who is "wrong" - we have our playing styles and our opinions.

Last edited by ~kev~; 12-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #26
tml
make it rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Sup brosef, wanna get some Natty Ice, listen to some Jack Johnson and just chill?
ya bro cool if i bring my gamecube?
tml is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #27
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
so this whole debate is focussed on the map 2fort? and on one respawn? maybe the map just needs fixing? maybe the doors just need moving/adjusting or something? i dont think "noob engineers" are at fault here. i think its just down to the historic design of 2fort.

sd2 is another prime example of building guns directly outside respawns, and also works well (think top ramp, in the corner)

2morfort is another example - the respawn opens out to... yep, you guessed it - a prime SG spot!

it's a common occurance dude. maps like 2morfort and ff_well partly alleviate this by creating offy exits, but they aren't ever going to be half as useful for D, as they intend to use the same pathways as the incoming enemy O to get into position.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #28
Zuljin
mimic- Zuljin`aG

Class/Position: O Scout
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: mimic, mcccxxxvii
The whole video is basically saying don't build sg's in bad spots. An SG outside respawn on 2fort is bad because there's no protection for it. Building outside respawn is perfectly fine on maps like plasma, startec, and shutdown2 because they're good spots. So you can't just say building outside respawn is a bad thing.

EDIT: damnit mervaka lol
Zuljin is offline   Reply With Quote