Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Thumbs down HP SUCKS

I once and for all am adding HP to my blacklist.
In the past I have not had many issues with HP computers. The hardware works fine and XP generally installs fine, given then you have a thumb drive full of drivers.

However I have had two nightmarish issues with HP. Both involve Windows 7.

Please note:
1) I am using a legitimate, final version of Windows 7 Pro. This is NOT a beta or RC, this is the FINAL version that will be shipping October 22nd.
2) Windows 7 is know to install without issues on Dell laptops as far as 5+ years old.

My first was using 2 slightly older HP printers. On HP's website they do NOT offer any XP or Vista drivers claiming "HP drivers come with windows and all our printers are plug and play." After trying two printers without any luck with drivers I finally calling tech support. They were completely useless and i got yelled at (given I yelled at the moron first).

Today I was helping my friend install Windows 7 on her NEW HP laptop. She got it less then 3 months ago and Vista already completely failed. Windows 7 installed fine, but I couldn't get ANY video drivers working with it. The Vista drivers refused to run because it does an OS check (MORONS). And the drivers from nvidia would only install HD sounds drivers... HP's official policy with just over a month before the final release is that they do not support beta software... Even though I'm using the FINAL version of the software.

If you know anyone in HP would would be willing to talk with a very disgruntled customer, let me know.

My friend right next to me is running a Dell Vostro 1000 from 2007 with 1GB of ram and it has FULL WORKING DRIVER SUPPORT. Yet a 3 month old HP does not.

HP, you have failed. I will gladly use my 5 year old dell without even considering touching another HP product.

Last edited by Mooga; 09-16-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Word of advice never buy a manufactured PC period. Build your own save money and build it to your needs. I didn't even read you're post rly but this is IMO. Good day sir!
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquilibriuM View Post
Word of advice never buy a manufactured PC period. Build your own save money and build it to your needs. I didn't even read you're post rly but this is IMO. Good day sir!
Yeah. That works great, apart from when he was helping his friend with her laptop.
Good thing you read the post though, I didn't really read yours lols.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
My sister recently got a budget HP 550 laptop Celeron £250, the seller put an extra 1GB ram in.

Anyway, I turned it on but it wasn't quite ready to go, it needed to finish installing Vista, you know what I mean. So I fucked that off and put Win 7 Ultimate straight on it no probs, as I was going to anyway. Everything is working. I used Vista touchpad drivers, everything else was already working.

Last edited by Paft; 09-17-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
Yeah. That works great, apart from when he was helping his friend with her laptop.
Good thing you read the post though, I didn't really read yours lols.
I lol'ed inside! Good day sir!
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Did you try this: http://gusperez.com/wp/2009/01/22/in...-on-windows-7/ ?

or this:

http://hpanswers.blogspot.com/2009/0...rs-for-hp.html

which links to this:
http://hpanswers.blogspot.com/2009/0...rivers-in.html
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Someone recommended that I try installing the video drivers under vista compatibility... which I moronically didn't do.

Thanks OldGuy! I just updated the driver list (which took a few min) and they are all listed! WONDERFUL!

I still hate HP for not having enough sense to recommend that...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times

Given that the official date of Win7 is 10/22, I suspect that HP doesn't want to have to field support calls yet (likely training customer support and/or saving $$$).
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I didn't even tell them I had 7. (Everyone has a strict NO WINDOWS 7 SUPORT policy currently because they "don't suport beta software" even though I'm using the FINAL version of Windows 7 Pro.) Getting suport currently is a pain in the ass because the moment you say "Windows 7" they compleatly shutdown and treate you like you're running OS/2.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post

Given that the official date of Win7 is 10/22, I suspect that HP doesn't want to have to field support calls yet (likely training customer support and/or saving $$$).
I won't even start my development work on Windows 7 until next year. By policy we only use RTM OS versions. That HP won't support software that is still not RTM (even if you're certain you're using a version that WILL RTM) is no surprise.

That said....

I've loved HP's products for almost 2 decades. Their printer products are what hooked me. However...it seems to me that they have declined dramatically. While it may be pure coincidence I blame Carly and the merger/acquisition of Compaq! It seems that they went downhill fast after that. Even their server lines....bleah!

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer (D and O)
Gametype: CTF
Mooga, you can install drivers in Compatibility mode in Windows 7. Right click the setup file and Compatibility tab and check "RUn this program in compatibility mode for:" and set it to Vista SP2. Should install just fine

On another note, I have a custom built box run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Final along with Windows 7 32 Pro at my office and have yet to have problems with anything.

Edit:

Didn't notice someone told you to install it in Compatibility mode. Sorry for the post

Last edited by Epidemic; 09-29-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Epidemic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #12
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Ya, I actually did that and it worked...
And I got print drivers now.

I'm still not happy with HP though... We are still in a fight... as 12 year old girls say it.

Tags
dell, fail, hewlett-packard, windows 7