Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
When is he not?

Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #82
o_player

Very atmospheric map

I also like what you have done with it too.

I will write more when I have time.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #83
o_nezumi

Thanks for the feedback
Ok, guess I'll add another few lights outside. Jiggles, were you talking about the ladder in the laundry room near blue's spawn?
Whenever I can get my hands on some FF textures I'll fix some things up and add a little bit of team coloring to the bases.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #84
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, it looks like it has supports for attaching to a wall, but it's too far from one.

I like how wide open the map is outside, but I bet it'll be a bitch to optimize

Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #85
o_nezumi

Well, it looks like a full vis is possible on this map, it just took 37 hours. Fortunately, it just about doubled the framerate everywhere. If you step into the road in front of the building with the elevator, the framerate there is about 60 instead of about 30.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #86
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Good to know I love how big the lighthouse is in this version; the old one just seemed way too small.

How are you going to handle the cap point on the tank? The old one was "in" the tank, though that was always kind of annoying.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #87
o_shadow34721

why did you only use like 2 cubemaps on the whole map?
reflections are killing it.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #88
o_nezumi

There are exactly 40 cubemaps in the map, shadow. Your problem might be that you have HDR on in the DM version, which doesn't work and makes the reflective surfaces look all screwy.

As for the tank, I'm not sure. I was thinking of making a useable turret just sitting next to it and having the cap point up on top of the tank. If some modeller really wants to make me a tank that you can go inside I'd be happy but I'm not counting on it. I really don't want to make a brush-tank either. It's a shame too 'cause I loved the tank.

Also:

Old 02-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #89
o_shadow34721

nope i definately dont have hdr on :/

Old 02-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #90
o_nezumi

Could you post a screenshot of a problem area, shadow?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #91
o_stino

i seem to crash when i try to use your elevator
and 1 other spot, but i cant really say where it is, oh yes, the tunnel at the start of the stairs to the lighthouse, behind a red "warehouse"

Last edited by o_stino; 04-04-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #92
o_nezumi

I know the elevator crashes in the DoD version. It didn't crash in the DM version, did it?

And I've never found the other spot that crashes myself. Was it like up behind the wall behind the lighthouse? If you could point out the spot in a screenshot or something I could try to find it.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #93
o_sidd42

Lots of interesting buildings, nice.

I think you've got 2 big problems with this map though.
Visibility: The engine is being forced to draw far more than it needs to, almost everywhere on the map. This is partly caused by a lot of your buildings having several small windows and doors, which can't block the vis. I think if you started to use areaportals and areaportalwindows properly, it might dramatically help your framerate.

Cubemaps: They don't seem to be working properly, in the dm version at least. Just walking round with a crowbar out, in lots of areas you get super bright highlights on the crowbar, in places where that shouldn't happen. Similarly a lot of reflective surfaces like metal railings, roof tiles, don't seem to be using accurate cubemaps.

Also, perhaps just a little brighter outside? I think try and make it as bright and easy to see as possible, without losing the night theme. I don't think it's too far off now.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #94
o_nezumi

I am using areaportals but none of them close. If closing area portals turns out to work in multiplayer in the end, then I'll certainly use them.

And I'm really not sure about the brightness outside. I tried to make a bunch of the main routes in heavy shadow, but leave areas where people fight and sniping positions in bright light to decrease the effectiveness of snipers here ('cause the original tiger was an enormous snipe fest). I'd like to get an actual game going to test this sort of thing out after FF is released, but regardless this is up for tons of tweaking.

I'm gonna go look over the cubemaps again now.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #95
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

They said areaportalwindows work in multi in the other thread (Ardvark). I have had no personal experience, though.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #96
o_luminous

wont those umm.. seprator things in the roof kinda mess up concing down there :S

Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #97
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I know the elevator crashes in the DoD version. It didn't crash in the DM version, did it?

And I've never found the other spot that crashes myself. Was it like up behind the wall behind the lighthouse? If you could point out the spot in a screenshot or something I could try to find it.
some stairs in a stretched Z form where theT is the tunnel entrance, in the tunnel you can see a prop: elevator fence but its not an elevater, V is the direction of the lighthous , the -- are stairs
__
V _/ T

__
--
--

LIGHTHOUSE

Old 04-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #98
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd42
Lots of interesting buildings, nice.

I think you've got 2 big problems with this map though.
Visibility: The engine is being forced to draw far more than it needs to, almost everywhere on the map. This is partly caused by a lot of your buildings having several small windows and doors, which can't block the vis. I think if you started to use areaportals and areaportalwindows properly, it might dramatically help your framerate.

Cubemaps: They don't seem to be working properly, in the dm version at least. Just walking round with a crowbar out, in lots of areas you get super bright highlights on the crowbar, in places where that shouldn't happen. Similarly a lot of reflective surfaces like metal railings, roof tiles, don't seem to be using accurate cubemaps.

Also, perhaps just a little brighter outside? I think try and make it as bright and easy to see as possible, without losing the night theme. I don't think it's too far off now.

"it might dramatically help your framerate."

is 213fps not good enough?
(193 if i look at the water)

Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #99
o_beetle

I never needed to conc at that point in that pic, luminous. What would be the usefullness?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #100
o_nezumi

Sorry stino, I still don't think I know where you mean.

Luminous: That hall is right outside of red's spawn. Generally all of the concing you'll need to do will be outside in the huge wide open spaces. You may need to do some concing in the blue warehouse to get to the cap point there but the roof is really high in there. Concing in the lighthouse might get kinda wierd though because of the floors breaking it up, but it should still be effective.

As for the cubemaps, the only place I noticed a real discrepancy was right outside blue's base, around the tank. I can put in another cubemap or two there. I'm also going to turn up the resolution on the one cubemap that's giving the washing machines in the laundry room their reflections.

Closed Thread