Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yeah, i giggle everytime i look at the chicken chasing the kid
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
o_fail

Give up on game design while you can. You've made nothing original with this class aside from his special ability. You've taken abilities from other classes and copy-cated weapons but with a lame ninja twist, making for a fantastically bland, boring, and unimaginative idea for a class.

As for game design classes and degrees I have to say it's the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.
o_fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #23
o_aftershock

I find the above post hilarious just because its total hypocrisy, given the signature
o_aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #24
o_stricknine

You all need to lay off the hateraid.

Instead of a knife, give him a japanese style sword. When I think ninja, I can't picture one with out one of those steel jap swords. Then he could also have the ability to deflect bullets or something. For a grenade, how about those sweet smoke bombs they always throw at their feet? When the ninja throws one, he would be cloaked like the spy does, but only for a few seconds (becuase he moves so well through the smoke).
o_stricknine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #25
o_saberwolf

Thank's Strick. But the sword kinda seems a little over kill, imo. But you're right, he probobly should have a different style blade. Maybe a dagger? That'd work better. People already seem to think that he's so much like the spy (i have no idea how, seeing how the only simularity is a knife, and it would probobly be much harder for a ninja to use then a spy) so that smoke bomb really wouldn't help.

And to every one else. Plz, unless it's something constructive, or if you're just gonna flame me, please don't post, that doesn't help me any. I'd perfer something on Fails comment to useless BS.

And in responce to Fail. He's not very orrigional eh? Well, how many class's in TFC are orrigional? How many different classes have a nail gun, all classes have a standard shotgun? Two classes have concs, two classe's have mirv's. If I hadn't mentioned how strong the ninja star or explosive shuriken would you question me? I just threw those two weapon out and compared them because they are both relativly weak, and he is meant to be a flag runner, not a DM.

Most of you people arent even stoping to think critically or about what possible skills there could be. For example using the explosive shuriken combined with wall running to get to higher plat forms. (throw a dart into the wall, run above it and then it explodes)

And don't you every fucking question what I want to do with my life, you piece of shit.

But to those of you who have actually given their opinion (and explained it) thank you.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #26
o_paft

This is like that idea of a fireman as a class only serious.
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #27
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
This is like that idea of a fireman as a class only serious.
lol, I forgot about that. But yeah I am serious. And again, I'm not trying to get my idea into the game, I just want people's support. Any variables or codes any one might know to make some of the things possible, please post here or PM me.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #28
o_sta_sirtiger

Saberwolf owns the privilege to flame people in these forums with his derogatory remarks. YIRKFFL FOR RELALAY?
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #29
o_fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberWolf
And in responce to Fail. He's not very orrigional eh? Well, how many class's in TFC are orrigional? How many different classes have a nail gun, all classes have a standard shotgun? Two classes have concs, two classe's have mirv's. If I hadn't mentioned how strong the ninja star or explosive shuriken would you question me? I just threw those two weapon out and compared them because they are both relativly weak, and he is meant to be a flag runner, not a DM.
There is a very key difference between your idea for a class and the classes in TFC already. Let us take a look at the TFC classes. They, barring the scout, have a weapon that sets them apart. Autocannon rape, flamethrower spam, whatever. They all have something different. While what does yours have? He has a railgun, knife, and rocket launcher with ninja makeup.

Also, he can't really compare to the capping ability of other flag running classes. The scout and medic are able to launch themselves with concs moving the flag significant distances, spy has the advantage of stealth to get to the flag, etc. While he can...run on walls? He seems for designed to kill snipers then moving the flag.

Quote:
And don't you every fucking question what I want to do with my life, you piece of shit.
I'm not questioning anything, just telling you you'll fail miserably.

I'd like to go into more detail on how fucking terrible this is but the very basis of the idea is laughable. Personally I think the Fireman was better.
o_fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #30
o_nuk3m

i still cantwait until someone mods in a katana for the current spy, thats going to be amazing.
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #31
o_turbowolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
Saberwolf owns the privilege to flame people in these forums with his derogatory remarks. YIRKFFL FOR RELALAY?
BEAUCUAUSE HEA'S GOT TEH BRAIAN OF A WOLVE
o_turbowolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #32
o_deadly furby

You can add a Ninja ONLY if you also add a chicken.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #33
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
AND a object for the "ninja" to do his "moves" on
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #34
o_nagash

<sarcasm>It's funny that people are telling him to be original while they wait for the 10 millionth identical copy of TF to be released.</sarcasm>
o_nagash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #35
o_paft

I I II I'm stuck for words...whaaa?
o_paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #36
o_dr zoidberg

I thought of something like this :P

Sumo - Hwguy
Samurai - Solider
Kung fu dude - Scout
Ninja - Spy
Trap master! - Engineer

and so on, maby i spread it out on 5 classes or something ala ET. with special abilities being the thing and relying on melee combat, altho Sumo do the *Hits air* and shockwave comes and knock someone over and then he come hop on them! Pancake! so sumo dont walk fast etc.

Then the kung fu dude has his awesome ninja hooks and swings like tarzan with it instead of concs and has a fat stick to push him up in air to hop over people. ninja has throwing shurikens to counter the hopping kung fu guy

The trap master makes awesome traps over door ways ala the demomans pipebombs and puts up arrow traps ala the sg etc.

^^

Hyper ninjagasbombdisappear attack!

have lotsa more ideas liek steal some from tribes, quake, hl2 and super smash bros and so :P

Ninja Fortress!!!
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #37
o_agret

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagash
<sarcasm>It's funny that people are telling him to be original while they wait for the 10 millionth identical copy of TF to be released.</sarcasm>
It's not a copy, it's an upgrade! They've taken the movement from QTF and put it into TFC under the source engine....ok so maybe it's not original, shutup. It sure is pretty though

I don't think the Source engine offers the same type of plugin power as the GoldSRC engine though so that means we probably won't see anything like NeoTF for FF unless there's some sort of collaboration between the FF devs and whoever wants to write the addon.
o_agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #38
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
Ninja Fortress!!!
New quote.

And to go along with the rest of his post. That hook thinger is a pretty awesome idea. Maybe have like a grapple hook. I remember someone suggesting that for a spy, but F the spy, ninja's have grapple hooks. Since he already has the special ability of wall running. Make the grapple hook its own gun, give it it's own slot and every thing.

*ninja runs on walls, zips to another wall* That'd be fuckin sweet! hah.

Last edited by o_saberwolf; 02-18-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #39
o_ihmhi

Quote:
P.S. Please try not to think of the Ninja as something that should be added or any thing, so plz don't flame.
Kay.

Quote:
Stats
HP: 100
Armor: 100 light.
Wieght: Light.
Sounds good.

Quote:
1) A knife. It would work like the spys knife, a good ninja should be able to sneak up behind someone and assassinate them.
True, but this results in a copying of abilities. The knife is not just a weapon, it is a spy's trademark. I would suggest something like dual knives, and the ninja's special ability would be that he could attack twice as fast as other melee characters.

Quote:
2) Ninja stars. Rate of Fire would a little faster than the rail gun. Maybe throw two at a time? About as powerful as the rail gun. No need to reload. Can hold up to...100?
A hundred stars is a lot. Have you ever held a throwing star? About four of those is a pound, so I doubt someone would carry 25 pounds of throwing stars. 25 is a more reasonable number.

As for throwing multiples, a better idea would be that the ninja could throw up to four (one between each finger, five fingers = four stars) if you hold the button down to charge it. It would work sort of like the rocket launcher in Unreal Tournament, but ninja stars. When you throw them IRL, they sort of spread out as a cone. Realistically, throwing two is easy; you can hold them side by side. At about 15 meters (about 30 feet) they only spread apart about 4 cm (about 2 inches). Three stars is hard to hold side by side because the one in the middle slips (no grip, it slides against the metal and all three mess up). So basically a charge up would work for this, and as the stars fly through the air they spread out very little like a cone. Furthermore, they should be ballistic (i.e. they sink as they travel) because that is realistic.

Quote:
3) Explosive Shuriken. (explosive, hand thrown darts) These would be thrown one at a time. Probobly with the rate of fire of the rocket launcher, but only as strong as a single pipe and about the same explosive radius of a pipe. And can hold...i dunno. 20? Without having to reload.
Not so good an idea. This is basically copying the soldier.

Quote:
4) Ninja star gun. Would work exactly like the nail gun, but with ninja stars.
Sort of repetitive, what with the throwing stars.

Quote:
5 Explosive Shuriken gun. Would work like nail gun, but with explosive shuriken's. (way too powerful, just thought it'd be cool )
Ditto.

Quote:
1) Caltrops. Can hold up to 3. (maybe 4 since he's not as fast as the scout)
Copying the scout, even though it is ninja-accurate.

Quote:
2) A flash bomb, blinds who ever saw the bomb go off within a certain radius for about a second. Just long enough for a good bunny hopper to get by un-seen. Can hold up to 3.
Snipers already have flashbangs in ETFC (or whatever the fuck it is called), so it is a semi-ripoff.

Quote:
Wall/Water running. If you've played Ninja Gaiden, you know what I'm talking about. Holding down the special ability key would alow him to run over water or staright up walls, up walls at an angle, (<~~ same going down walls) or straight across the wall (depending on what angel and what direction you hit the wall). And you would hold the same amount of speed wall running as you were when you hit the wall.
A good idea, but with sharking and wallstrafing it is not that great of an ability.

Quote:
Wall running is what would make the ninja a more dependable offencive character. Depending on speed and such rather than fighting. It would also force the defence to look EVERY WHERE. You could only wall run for about 2 seconds before falling, but you could easily "bunny hop", for lack of a better term, off and back to the wall and start over without having to fall. Water running would not have a limit.
A good idea, but see above.

My suggestions:

Weapons: beyond the stars, here are my suggestions.

Slot 1: Dual knives, like these:

Slot 2: Rope Dart: Ever see Scorpion in Mortal Kombat? Anyone who has played for 30 seconds knows about his spear. This is a weapon called a rope dart. Picture:

Basically, a warrior would throw this and either wrap it around a limb or the neck or try to get the spear point through the enemy's body. If thrown right, a warrior could get the spear to go between two ribs; a quick tug, and it would hook into the ribs. A pull would break ribs while also slamming the enemy down into the ground. Ninjas did not use this a lot, but it would be stylish and give the ninja a ranged melee attack, giving him a distinction. The attack would basically be slow (2 seconds or so to shoot and come back, maybe a 4 meter / 14 foot-ish range) and only go straight ahead.

Slot 3: Iron Hand: The iron hand was a defensive weapon a lot of people do not know about. Basically, it was a t-shaped piece of metal. A ninja would put the bottom part of the T between his/her middle and ring fingers. The bar would stretch across the entire palm. With this weapon, a ninja could block even a sword and it gave rise to legends of ninjas being able to make their hands as hard as iron and block weapons. (Naturally, with their black gloves and the Iron Hand painted black, most people could not see it and thought that a ninja was really blocking a sword with his hand.) This would be a unique idea allowing a ninja to do special things like deflect grenades and block melee attacks when facing forward and when the block is on (i.e. when you click).

Slot 4: Throwing stars, the railgunish weapon. 20-25 of these.

Slot 5: Blowgun: Ninjas were masters of poisons. How about a blowgun where if it hits the enemy it poisons them and slowly injures them? It does not kill them and it works at half the rate of the medic's infect (to compensate for the advantage for the range). Also, there should be a very limited amount of ammo for this (5 or 6) to compensate for the power.

Grenade 1: Smoke bomb. It does not rip off any other class and ninjas were more likely to use smoke bombs then any sort of grenade. The smoke bomb would cover about 6 meters and it would dissipate in about five seconds.

Grenade 2: Manrikigusari: A throwing chain, much like a bola. The ninja could throw this and it hurts the enemy when it hits them. However, if you hit their legs, it ensnares them and they fall down on the ground for 2-3 seconds completely helpless. Picture:

Special abilities:

1. No footsteps, regardless of whether footsteps are on or not on the server.

2. No sound when dropping.

3. Able to jump twice as high as other classes (to compensate for lack of nades to be used for nade jumps).

4. Wildest idea: shadow clone. When the special abilty is activated, a hologram projector (this is a sort of high tech game, what with the sentry guns and all) makes three copies of the ninja that run and jump in random directions. SGs will target them, but they will not bleed when shot at. People pass right through the fakes.

The suggestions I made sort of make the ninja more TFCish. It has a good place in the dynamics of things (master of melee, with faster melee attack, a ranged melee attack, and a weapon that can block melee attacks and deflect grenades), good special abilities that do not really copy anyone else, and more realistic, ninja-ish weaponry.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #40
o_saberwolf

Thank you much for the none flame responce Ihmhi! Time for a rebuttle.

***EDIT***

Things I liked and would change.

1) The duel blades. Very orrigional. I just really liked the idea of an instant kill . But being able to attack twice as fast would easily balance that, a good inbetween zone. So that I would change.

2) The throwing stars pattern, very good. You're right that 100 is probobly a bit much, but 25 seems like too little, you'd run out way too quickly. Especially if you can throw up to 4 a time, even if you do have to charge it. How about.....35-40?

3) The nades. If the smoke would instantly defuse and fill the radious when the gren went off, that'd work just fine. And I really like the manrikigusari idea. Very cool.

Things I really don't want to part with.

1) Water running...hmm. Well, with sharking you have to be going at a high speed to pull this off correct? With this ability you could stay ontop of water at any moving speed. What I was immaging was a sort of...hmm....well lets use this scenario. On 2fot. Run and jump onto water. Run accross the water and then up the wall to be on solid ground. This is the sort of thing I was really hoping for the Ninja. I don't think I'd be able to part with this.

2) Wall running. What I am immagining is nothing like wall strafing. If you have played Ninja Gaiden for the xbox, you'd have a better understanding of what I'd want from it. It'd have to have it's own animation. The above paragraph is one example of how it could be used. Immagin this, using 2fort as an example again. Ninja ground level of battlements and runs along the the wall to avoid using the cluttered bridge.
Something I might change though. Instead of having a bunch of different angles. The ninja would always run along the wall at a sort of arc. He would run up the wall at a certain angle and after reaching the peak would begin to go back down, whilst staying on the wall. But ofcourse he could always jump off the wall, staif back to it and start over. This would alow him to "climb" the wall whilst still moving forward. However, if he hit the wall straight on, he would just run straight up, reach his peak and then fall.

3) Explosive shuriken. I really really don't want the part with this. Keep in mind the only thing it shares with the rocket launcher is the Rate of Fire. It's dmg and radious would be much weaker in comparison. The shirken would also stick to what ever object it hits for a moment before exploding. Doing damage both when it hits and when it explodes. This could also be used to get onto higher platforms and so on if used correctly combined with wall running.

4) Grapple gun. Be able to zip from point A to point B. Mainly used on walls/celings. But if used on another player, the player with the less amount of mass would be pulled the other. (the only player with less mass then ninja would be a scout). Though that should be extreamly difficult to hit a moving target. This gun would have to have a very slow reaload/rate of fire...what ever. To prevent a player from constantly ziping and staying in mid air. This would also have a limited range.

The four above things is supposed to be what really sets the Ninja apart from the other classes, and would hopefully still make him a valuable offencive class since he doesn't have nades or concs to really push him along and alow him to run to safety.

Though what you suggested, I admit, is more TFCish and would work much better in the game. It's nothing at all what I had in mind lol.

Any way thank you alot for your ideas and suggestions. It is very apprieciated.

Last edited by o_saberwolf; 02-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.