Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #41
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Well and CZ2 look fucking awesome. Love what you're doing with them. Openfire looks a bit "cluttered" but you can't really tell the much from one screenshot I guess... I'm not sure you need the walk around the pillars.. being able to bunnyhop round them in TFC was very cool.

Sentry gun family and Sentry on cz2 look... exactly how I'd imagined them, which is great. Ditto for medic in cz2 water. Railgun and tranq are neat too.

Good job, now release!
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #42
o_tu!

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_cz2_2

will player shadows be seen in-game? or is like cs:s where you just see em when you spectate?
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #43
o_sid6.7

yay for this summer not failing! in game model shots make me happy <3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageeathknight.gif = hw concept on the bottom

Last edited by o_sid6.7; 06-10-2006 at 08:00 AM.
o_sid6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #44
o_mr_rage

excellent update and great work! this is one of the best updates i've seen for any mod and it really shows a lot of stuff coming together.

one question i had (and perhaps it's already been answered), is:

How are grenades and bags/detpacks going to react with objects like those concrete slabs jutting out from the ground in openfire? Are there clipping brushes (or however Source handles that?) that make the surface smooth, or are all of those jutting protrusions actual, physical, interactable objects?
o_mr_rage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #45
o_mescalito

Pffft! Sry to be unoriginal again but the update kicks ass as usual. Nice work.

Uh well i do have a one little pre-bitch, the HW concept art. I'd prefer him to stay the fat fuck that he is, but that's just me.

Everything looks pretty much, fuck right, amazing. Love it all. Love the way the SG's came out. Love the maps.
The models looks awesome, although the solly needs bloody tan like i allready mentioned. He should look more like me overall!

gg

((don't let all the praising fool you. i still remember the dustbowl shots you promised so you'll have to leak some shit in addition to this update. ...that is if you know what's good for you and your cats.))
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #46
o_luminous

mostly looks cool, but (omg agreeing with darkness :O) openfire doesnt look as playable as it did in tfc. the extra places which stick out will mess up numerous concs and different jumps, as well as not being much use for sgs (imo). the only consolidation would be is if all of the rubble is displacements which you can slide on, so if the flag was resting on one you could conc onto it and do a mini rampslide or something ://

overall looks cool though, like the skylaser things on cz2
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #47
o_qui

Good stuff

Liking the spy concepts.
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #48
o_loco

Well i have been following the FF Mod since the day it was started,
i would just Like to add i think the Quality of the work i have seen here since the team started has been absolutley fantastic,
i have seen a lot of negative posts recently and i think it's time to just sit back and pe patient now,
This last update shows how hard people are working to make this MOD possible and release something that is totally top draw!
i would just like to say i think the models of all these charactors are looking really great althou i have not seen any concept art for the Engineer yet,
the Sentry guns are looking top draw in the latest shots and the idea for the Rail gun seems really cool,
i would just like to ask regarding ofire is there going to be a platform for a Sgun like the original map looking at the shots it seems there could be a problem putting a sg on the Balcony,
I would Also like to ask about the way the Sg will track and lock will it be the same as in tfc or will it be faster locking for example on lvl2 than lvl3 ??
Apart from that i'd like to say good work to all the people envolved and look forward to maybe a small movie avi in the future updates
o_loco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #49
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The complaints about openfire have some merit, but I think people are looking at it wrong.

http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&s=41

As you can see, there's a lot of rubble and shit there. From the looks of it, however, it's all up against the walls of the top tier. The actual meat of the lower level is still intact, and I assume all the rubble is actually clipped over, so that it's really just as smooth but slightly higher.

Maybe I just don't think CrackerJack is retarded enough to clutter up openfire like that for no reason, but judging by this one lonely screenshot, I get the impression it's still heavily WIP/STC, and isn't quite as bad as it looks.

As for well, I looked at it again and I'm a bit worried about the upper level, normally home 1 of 2 for Snipers. The windows are even thinner, and go higher up as they move out. Is that low enough that a Sniper can aim through it? It feels like you'd only be able to see his head.

And I guess the tranq is gas-powered? It didn't occur to me until now that it doesn't have a hammer at all. (Subtle protest against Hammer's fuck-ups? )

Last edited by Circuitous; 06-10-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #50
o_qbaler

oh and how do the classes look in the different team colors? Like how differnt will a blue pyro look? red definately suits him. Will this end the debate of red vs blue?? DUN DUN DUN!
o_qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #51
o_nitro?

Nice update. The only concern I have is, what is up with al those dark maps?

o_nitro? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #52
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness24713
Yea umm what to say. im speech less? Openfire looks well lets put it this way Bad. Sry to say so but bad. Thats just bad. I cant say anymore on it. And well, looks worse. :/
Name well a different name i dont see nothing alike in that then in tfc version of well. Its not even close to what it should be. openfire? whats up with the rocks and shit in the middle of the floor? thats just going to screw over alot of concers. Putting the d to a advantage. i think you guys could of done better. Also whats up with the pillers they have sides around them. that just makes it easyer to bhop around and get in peoples way when concing
Go download a new texture pack for tfc, and forget about FF, as thats all you seem to want.

As for the update, Well looks amazing, Hard to say about Openfire without a decent look, but it looks promising. I love the cz2 shots, I hope those uplink laser things turn team coloured when captured :P
Only thing i dont think looks as good as the rest is the medics face, It just seems to lack a bit of character when compared to the tfc versions, that and the head looks a bit...square :P. Obviously it might not be complete though, so ignore me if so.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #53
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro²
Nice update. The only concern I have is, what is up with al those dark maps?
They do look good though, but you have a point. Ive personally always preferred daytime maps.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #54
o_mescalito

Obviously the mappers are british

EDIT: or quakers

Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #55
o_grizzly

Really nice media update...
Openfire looks more like a SP map than a MP map to me
As for the dark maps - it seems the lightning is way better suited to some maps that should been dark.. not black dark so you can hide anywhere.. just a little darker to have this nice little ambience.. well..
Nice work !
o_grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #56
o_alligator

I personally don't think that the maps are dark at all...lighting is perfect. I really like this media - though openfire throws me off :[. I fail to understand why an earthquake hit in my favorite map - Other than that, everything is looking great! Welcome the new FFers ^_^!
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #57
o_elvis2049

oke nice update i must say.
but i am gonna bitch about the best goodmap raping possible.
how is it possible that 1 of the best maps ever (openfire_lowgrens) could get so raped by the devteam .......
omg just look @ the pit .
such a disater happend there.
you cant even normaly walk there by the looks off it :/
gj imo :S

other than that the update looks nice tbh
but i hope that FF is gonna be just as "clean" as tfc.
so no mess on the floors or tree's and stuff :P
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #58
o_uncle-argon

I actually quite like the Medic's face; he looks like he's ageing slightly and getting a bit wrinkly. Thats kind of unusual for a guy who's played in a pretty agile way, but I still like it. It puts me in mind of Godfrey from Dad's Army which can only be considered as a good thing.

As for the rest of the update, I think its absolutely superb. Well looks like its got all of the same basic game play features, but just presented in a new and interesting way. The new balc in particular looks interesting; it should allow sniper's sitting in there to occupy different positions in order to cover different parts of the midmap. I guess you can't tell from this angle which level of the balc is the normal one (I'm not sure whether we could say it has been partly raised or partly sunk), but in either case it promises to add a little variety for sniping.

I think CZ2 is looking like it'll do its job fairly well; it doesn't have the spectacularly constructed visuals of some of the other maps, but it should leave itself open to good game play whilst still looking fairly nice.

I think everybody probably has their reservations about Openfire. It's nice to get some indication that it's coming together, but, like everybody else, my immediate reaction is that the rubble might cause a few problems. Having said that, given that openfire is a staple for league play and is hardly ever touched in normal pubs, I can't imagine that a team including experienced TFC clan players is ever going to do something to damage the game play of the map. I'm sure it will all work out fine.

Finally, the weapon and player models are all absolutely great. I like the HWguy concepts too; the one at the top with the drooping moustache looks great. It puts me in mind of former England wicket keeper Jack Russell, which can only be considered as a good thing. I think you should go with something like that rather than the more generic bulky mean guy below, but thats just me.

Anyhow, great work and I look forward to play it.
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #59
o_caesium

Very nice. Only complaint I have is, like others have said, I'm a big fan of happy friendly lighting (doesn't have to be daytime, just somehow friendly). Ohh, and I like the rubble in the openfire pit, I don't think it looks like it's in the way, but ofc it's hard to tell from just one pic. I guess the dev team are just scared of me and bokko and want something to hide behind in matches...
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #60
o_mescalito

I'm not gay but the spy is a fucking stud!! Like the one who'll sneak behind you and fuck you up the.. err. Spy looks good.

oh and shadow24325? you suck.